Tedesco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
katrinamawbey

Tedesco

Post by katrinamawbey »

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could give me the phonetic spelling for the surname Tedesco....

My great grandad was called Antonio Tetesagge, but after trying to find this surname, i have come to the conclusion that it has been grossly mispelt when the surname was spoken to an english person as i simply cannot find it anywhere....

The only slither of information i can try and track Antonio down on is the fact he changed his surname around 1918... (his third child was called Tedesco).

Thanks in advance,

Kat
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Tedesco

Post by dragoni »

not sure of the name you noted but tedesco is german in italian. it could be they were from germany?

tom
rdel4577
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rdel4577 »

When I was in northern Italy (Aviano), there were some families named Tedesco. If your family is from the north, it could be a legitimate surname.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tedesco is listed inthe Italian surname dictionary and is a variant of the base surname Tedeschi which is applied to the name for German ethnics in Italy first doumented in Italy inthe 12th century coming from the German word THEUDA as a name for a people or territory in Germany =Peter=
~Peter~
katrinamawbey

Post by katrinamawbey »

Hi there,

No they were definately not german. Tedesco as far as i can gather, is a very popular Italian name..

All i was basically after is how the word is actually pronounced... if anyone is able to write that phonetcially for me, so i can get my head around the surname Tetesagge.. id really appreciate it.

I have absolutely no idea where Antonio was born.. not even a smigin of a clue. :(
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ted-esk-o is the best I can do. Or from www.dictionary.com

Te*des"co\, a.; pl. Tedeschi. [It., of Germanic origin. See Dutch.] German; -- used chiefly of art, literature, etc.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
katrinamawbey

Post by katrinamawbey »

My dad has just been in touch with some relatives, and it seems to be a case that Antonio was born somewhere near Naples in a town beginning with S, with a short name... Possibly Sora???

Any idea of any Tedesco's in this area?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 1042 cities,towns and villages in Italy having persons surnamed TEDESCO thruout Italy and one of the major concentrations of the surname Tedesco is in the Campania region and Napoli area. Go to www.gens.labo,.net./en/cognomi and put in TEDESCO in the upper left hand corner and clickon the arrow so that you can see the surname distribution in that Napoli area as well as the entire Campania region.

If you wish to look up all the cities,towns and villages in the Napoli area go to www.nonsolocap.it and type in Napoli and click CERCA and when Napoli comes up click on the name Napoli for all the cities,towns and villages within Napoli province. =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There are two Tedeschi and two Tedesco families in Sora today.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Frosinone is located in the Lazio region and not in the Campania region and some distance away from Napoli. While Sora certainly sounds promising as well as Selva di Sora (an adjoining c ommunity) why did your relatives in Italy indicate Napoli as a close by city since Frosinone is another city of some distance away???? Perhaps you should double chekc onthe information. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Do you have any documents with a name? Ship's manifests, census info, etc?

There is a surname in Campania, Saggese. This name appears in Salerno, Sacco, Sorrento and Serre.

I am wondering if we should be looking for a dual surname, (something like Teti Saggese) However, you really need to find some written documentation of the name. Maybe it was just mistranscribed somewhere.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

La Selva is part of Sora. It is 300 km from Naples.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
katrinamawbey

Post by katrinamawbey »

Thank you for all the replys,

There is no way i can get any documation at all. The only information i have available is Antonio's marriage certificate and one possible death certificate (that is on order at the moment to see if it is actually him).

As i am gathering, it is looking highly unlikely that Antonio registered his entry into England, as it wasnt compulsory around 1900.

As for the location.. well the only surviving relative who might know anything is getting on quite a bit, and their memory needs to be triggered before remembering sketchy details as anyone can imagine. He believed that Antonio came from a town with a small name, beginning with S. This also triggered something with my dad, as he remembers a town beginning with s. The relative remembers visiting relatives in Italy, but again, cant really remember where abouts.. Which might be why the name Naples came about as a central reference point of where they visited prehaps.

Ill mention the other places to my dad and see if anything comes back to him about the places. The alternate name is also interesting... As the 1911 census is now complete, ill see if that name appears anywhere in Tynemouth, Northumberland.

Thanks again for helping me try to solve this mystery!! :D
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If any of your relatives are named Restituta there is a good chance they came from around Sora. Some first names can give a clue. Also the Saints they used to swear by or worship.
Was the town they visited on a mountain top? Was there a castle? Did any relatives die in the earthquake of 1915? That would isolate the general area.
Ann Tatangelo
katrinamawbey

Post by katrinamawbey »

im sorry, but i dont know anyone in Italy... Everyone i know is in England. Antonio is the only link we have to Italy at the moment. His children were called Antonia, Mary Rose, Joseph, Louis, and Francis.

I only know that Antonio's father was called Peter (alternative italian spelling maybe Petre??) because thats what was on his marriage certificate. My dad remembers vaguely that my Nanna told him that Antonio's birthplace was near Naples...

It might be best if i get my dad to post on here and see if he can clear up a few issues with Antonio... Lol.