Comune says "No Records Found"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Brini

Comune says "No Records Found"

Post by Brini »

I am certain that my great grandmother was born in Casteldaccia (near Palermo) but the Comune there recently said that they found no records (birth certificate) under her name. Her last name is Calo and I even gave an alternative spelling of Callo. I gave her exact birthdate, parents' names... but no records.

Is it worth it to resubmit a request for a birth ceriticate to the Comune di Casteldaccia archives? Where should I go from here if I'm convinced she was born there?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Comune says "No Records Found"

Post by suanj »

Brini wrote:I am certain that my great grandmother was born in Casteldaccia (near Palermo) but the Comune there recently said that they found no records (birth certificate) under her name. Her last name is Calo and I even gave an alternative spelling of Callo. I gave her exact birthdate, parents' names... but no records.

Is it worth it to resubmit a request for a birth ceriticate to the Comune di Casteldaccia archives? Where should I go from here if I'm convinced she was born there?
For your problem, sure are an data not exact ..if the Casteldaccia Common not have found birthcertificate!The surname spelling are Calò and also on ship's manifest are Calò! Rosa Calò(arrival 12 Dec 1904) in travel with Paolo brother..more Sebastiana Calò arrival in 1913...In Sicily are Calò surname...You send an other request to Casteldaccia Common with surname CALO'..regards, suanj
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

You don't say what year you are looking for. The vital records for Casteldaccia for 1821 - 1903 are available on microfilm from the LDS (Mormon) church. They rent for about $4 a film. If the record is within this range you can check for yourself.

Debbie
Brini

Post by Brini »

I'm very certain that her birthdate is correct; it's 15 August 1884. From the 1930 Census she immigrated in 1900 (and I believe that it was from Palermo to New Orleans). My great grandfather's Declaration of Intention states that her place of birth was Casteldaccia and other relatives seem to think that sounds familiar. So with all this info that's why I was surprised that the Comune didn't find her birth certificate.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

when you requested the record did yuou include $5.00 as suggested by the Mormon people???? Along with a self addressed envelope..Try again with $5.00 and ask them to recheck for you. I assumed you sent your request in Italian?????Yes or no??? Peter
Brini

Post by Brini »

I actually went through ICGS. I have had success requesting certificates from other comuni for other ancestors; I've requested them on my own. Perhaps I should try to request the one from Casteldaccia on my own, but I fully trust the services of ICGS.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

what is ICGS??? Peter
Brini

Post by Brini »

Italian Citizenship & Geneology Services (AKA myitaliancitizenship.com)
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

If you look at the microfilms listed for the commune of Casteldaccia, you will find something I find rather odd..and it might explain something about the records.

At the Family History Library are these two films:

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, cittadinanze, morti 1868-1883 FHL INTL Film
1915521 Items 7-22

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, cittadinanze, morti 1884-1903 FHL INTL Film
1915522 Items 1-19

These two films cover all births, deaths, marriages, and marriage bans from 1868 to 1903........

Some thing is wrong with this picture. This is a large town of about 8,000 today, so 125 years ago, it was not small in all likelyhood. Yet, the town I research has less then 2000 individuals today and the microfilms covering the period of time from 1860 or so to 1895 are probably greater then 25...and all separate: births, deaths, and marriages......

NOT only are all the births, deaths, and marriages on the same microfilms for Casteldaccia, but they don't take up the whole microfilm.......one is only items 7-22 the other, items 1-19...so there is more on the microfilms from some other town.

What all this means is that the records are probably not there.......was there a natural disaster, a fire, another town that holds those records?
I would be tempted to order those two microfilms...I know you believe she was born 1884...but not unusual for the date to be off a year or two.
And then I would see what exactly was on the records....you may not find it and will have to find another method of getting to the records. But the FHL is the best alternative right now to obtaining a copy of the original. If you can find it, then you can mail back to the commune for an official extracted copy of the birth records.

Good luck.......
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Brini wrote:I'm very certain that her birthdate is correct; it's 15 August 1884. From the 1930 Census she immigrated in 1900 (and I believe that it was from Palermo to New Orleans). My great grandfather's Declaration of Intention states that her place of birth was Casteldaccia and other relatives seem to think that sounds familiar. So with all this info that's why I was surprised that the Comune didn't find her birth certificate.
Hi Brini, please write exact phrase in reply Casteldaccia Common to you..are wrote:" non risulta nato nel Comune"? or other? Please insert in next message also first name your ancestor...more: your great grandfather coming from Casteldaccia, and also the Calo wife?? Please, for better help you, increase any details.. regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: in Casteldaccia are this surname similar(with CAL):
-Cali
-Calo
-Calò Loreta
-Caltagirone
-Calabrese
-Calò Lo Biondo
-Cali Cottone
-Calabria
-Cali Galioto
-Calice
Brini

Post by Brini »

Thanks so much for all your help.

My great grandma's name was ANTONINA CALO, born 15 August 1884 to FRANCESCO CALO and MARIANNA AELLA (or AILLA?). She married my great grandfather, LEONARDO SAMPERI who was from Mezzojuso. They got married in New Orleans. That's about all the info I have on Antonina... but am looking forward to getting more.
Brini

Post by Brini »

Thanks, Essgee, for your good insight. We'll see how things will work out.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
you can also contact Palermo State Archive to request a copy of civil records of your ancestor

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... PALERMO%22

I hope it helps. Bye Riccardo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Brini wrote:Thanks so much for all your help.

My great grandma's name was ANTONINA CALO, born 15 August 1884 to FRANCESCO CALO and MARIANNA AELLA (or AILLA?). She married my great grandfather, LEONARDO SAMPERI who was from Mezzojuso. They got married in New Orleans. That's about all the info I have on Antonina... but am looking forward to getting more.
HI Brini, if you sended email to Casteldaccia common with this data, sure not found.. !!
Aella or Ailla not exist in Italy, sure misspelling and in Italy the mother's surname is very important for genealogic search..
to this URL are all sicilian surname begin with "Ai..." http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/ita/cogno ... =ai&Modo=P
and the similar surname max aproximative are AIELLO..also in Casteldaccia..perhaps are this the problem for Casteldaccia common search
suanj