Barbieri Families with roots in Cerreto Sannita, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mbarberi

Barbieri Families with roots in Cerreto Sannita, Italy

Post by mbarberi »

Looking for any distant Barbieri cousin from the US or Italy with roots in Cerreto Sannita, Italy. I have 2500 Barbieri records from 1579-1899 representing my direct Barbieri ancestors and all other Barbieri's from Cerreto. I also have many other Barbieri records from nearby towns such as Pietraroja and San Lorenzello. Other surnames (people who married a Barbieri from Cerreto) between 1579-1899 are: Fazzini, Civile, Mastroianni, Giamei, Milotta, Amodio, Ciaburro, Cappella, Marchitto, Litrenta, Barile, Angino, Fappiano, Bellucci, Mendillo, Petronzi, Iacobelli, Petrillo, Ulizio, D'Andrea, Stanco, Cofrancesco, others.

My Barbieri ancestors immigrated to the US between 1880-1905 and settled in the Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Waterbury CT and New Haven, CT. Those Barbieri's that emigrated were married had the following given names: Michele, Pasquale, Matteo, Giuseppe, Tommaso, Liberato, Nicolina, and Ganeconda. I have two cousins in Italy today. They both live in Cerreto and Benevento.

I welcome all inqueries. Anyone can contact me at: michaelbarbieri.com.

Regards,
Mike Barberi
Looking for any distant Barbieri cousin from the US or Italy with roots in Cerreto Sannita, Italy. I have 2500 Barbieri records from 1579-1899 representing my direct Barbieri ancestors and all other Barbieri's from Cerreto. I also have many other Barbieri records from nearby towns such as Pietraroja and San Lorenzello. Other surnames (people who married a Barbieri from Cerreto) between 1579-1899 are: Fazzini, Civile, Mastroianni, Giamei, Milotta, Amodio, Ciaburro, Cappella, Marchitto, Litrenta, Barile, Angino, Fappiano, Bellucci, Mendillo, Petronzi, Iacobelli, Petrillo, Ulizio, D'Andrea, Stanco, Cofrancesco, others.

Regards,
Mike Barberi
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Barbieri Families with roots in Cerreto Sannita, Italy

Post by aliza24 »

Hi,

I have come across the Barbieri name while researching my tree in S. Lorenzello but so far no connection. I'm curious though, how did you get back to 1579? Did you somehow get access to the church records?

Aliza
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

aliza24 wrote:Hi,

I have come across the Barbieri name while researching my tree in S. Lorenzello but so far no connection. I'm curious though, how did you get back to 1579? Did you somehow get access to the church records?

Aliza
Aliza:

I have been using an Italian genealogist for the past 5 years. He has gained access to Church and Notary Records from 1579 to the start of Civil Records in 1809. As for the Barbieri name in San Lorenzello, below are my findings:

1. No baptisim records were available before 1595 (perhaps the Book of Baptisms was not in its proper place when my genealogist visited the mother Church in San Lorenzello?).
2. A search of the Church death records for a Barbieri 1700-1739 produced no results.
3. A search of the San Lorenzello Catasto Onciario showed that no Barbieri's were living in San Lorenzello in 1743 when this census was taken.
4. A search of the Church Records 1865-1890 showed many Barbieri baptisms, marriages and deaths in San Lorenzello.
5. The Barbieri's found in the San Lorenzello Church Records 1865-1890 were married to people with the following surnames: Ciarleglio, Lavorgna, Federico, Scanelli?, Scarrano?, Sagnella, Aulino, Cestari, Tessitore, Giamattei and Mattei.

My preliminary conclusions are:
1. There were no Barbieri's living in San Lorenzello before 1743.
2. There were many Barbieri's living in San Lorenzello most likely starting in the early or mid 1800s.

Does any of this information connect with your ancestors? Do you have any records involving a Barbieri to share?

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Barberi
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Sorry for the delayed response. I wish this place alerted you when someone responds!

Anyway- My last name is Giammatteo (in older records it is spelled Giamattei or Giammattei). My people originally came from San Lorenzello then moved to Alife sometime around 1840 or so. Though some branches may have stayed in S. Lorenzello.

I noticed that you listed Giamattei above.

I have many lines from this area going back to the early 1700's but so far no Barbieri's in my tree. I don't have any Barbieri records either since I don't yet have a connection to them- I just recall seeing the name while going over microfilms.

I'll let you know if I find anything though. I still have plenty of research to do in this town.

I'm curious who the genealogist is that you are working with there? They seem to do a good job. I may need a lookup or two for people who were there after 1860. Are you able to share their information with me so I can get in touch with them?

Thanks,
AG
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

aliza24 wrote:Sorry for the delayed response. I wish this place alerted you when someone responds!

Anyway- My last name is Giammatteo (in older records it is spelled Giamattei or Giammattei). My people originally came from San Lorenzello then moved to Alife sometime around 1840 or so. Though some branches may have stayed in S. Lorenzello.

I noticed that you listed Giamattei above.

I have many lines from this area going back to the early 1700's but so far no Barbieri's in my tree. I don't have any Barbieri records either since I don't yet have a connection to them- I just recall seeing the name while going over microfilms.

I'll let you know if I find anything though. I still have plenty of research to do in this town.

I'm curious who the genealogist is that you are working with there? They seem to do a good job. I may need a lookup or two for people who were there after 1860. Are you able to share their information with me so I can get in touch with them?

Thanks,
AG
My Italian genealogist is Joe De Simone. He lives in Avellino, Italy not far from Naples and Benevento. I have been working with him for 5 years and he is excellent. He is very familiar with all the towns in this area including Cerreto Sannita, San Lorenzello, Pietraroja, etc.

His email address is: joedesimoneitaly@msn.com.

If you contact him, tell him I referred you. He will give you a discount.

Regards,

Mike Barberi

Regards,
Mike Barberi
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Thanks!

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Anything specific you want me to look for?

I only have access to the microfilms (1809-1860) but if you get lucky with the processetti you can go back as far as the early 1700's or so.

AG
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

aliza24 wrote:Thanks!

Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Anything specific you want me to look for?

I only have access to the microfilms (1809-1860) but if you get lucky with the processetti you can go back as far as the early 1700's or so.

AG
I have all the Barbieri Civil Records 1809-1860 in Cerreto. However, I would appreciate the birth and/or marriage record of Vincenzo Gagliardi of Cerreto who married someone about 1853. He had a daughter named Antonietta Gagliardi, born about 1860, who married Pietro Barbieri in 1882.

Good luck with Joe. He will do a good job. You should use him to search Church Records pre-1809 or the Civil Records post 1860 (both are not microfilmed). If you can't find someone in the Civil Records 1809-1860, he can search the Church records of this period.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Barberi
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

I made a mistake. Vincenzo Gagliardi had a daughter named Antonietta that was born about 1861-1863. Hence, Vincenzo Gagliardi was likely married in the 1850s in Cerreto. Many people had a number of children at this time, so I can't be sure if Antonietta was his first, third or last child.

I don't expect you to go out of your way for this search of Vincenzo's marriage record. If you have some time, he should be in the Cerreto Civil Marriage Records between 1850-1860 (my guess).

Regards,

Mike Barberi

Regards,
Mike Barberi
daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by daddymuzza »

There are two people with Barbieris from Cerreto on .........

http://www.geneanet.org/
if yer no fast yer last !!!
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

Thanks. I had most of the Barbieri records posted on GeneaNet but not all of them especially the descendants of one female Barbieri posted that married a Ciaburri(o).

Regards,

Mike Barberi

Regards,
Mike Barberi
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear before. I am only doing research at this time in San Lorenzello. I don't have any connections to cerrito yet and never ordered films from there.

If I do see something interesting though in my future endeavors, I will keep you in mind.
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

If you run across any Barbieri's in the Birth, Marriage or Death Civil Records 1809-1860 in San Lorenzello, please let me know. Thanks for your emails.

Regards

Mike Barberi

Regards,
Mike Barberi
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

By the way Mike, I contacted Joe and asked him how much it would be to do a lookup for me that took place after 1860. He said 300 euros plus travel expenses. That's a lot of dough for one lookup!
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hello!

I have a New York City Barbieri in my family tree that is related through marriage. My great great great grandfather was Domenico Trimarco. He came to the US in the late 1870's. He was originally from Castelluccio Cosentino. He brought with him to the US his three children, Vincenzo, Nicoletta (my great great grandmother) and Giovanni (who also went by Charlie). Domenico's first wife (who was also the mother to all three children) died after giving birth to Giovanni. She never made it to the United States and died around 1871. Domenico remarried a second wife by the name of Margherita De Leo (I think), but she died around 1892. In 1898, Domenico married a third wife, by the name of Margherita Barbieri. I have their marriage certificate and would be happy to send it to you if you like. Domenico and Margherita lived in downtown Manhattan at 247 Grand Street where Domenico had a store, which would later be called "Trimarco Bros." after his untimely death most likely due to a stroke in 1906. I never figured out what happened to his third wife Margherita Barbieri Trimarco after he died. I have some probate records that also indicate that she went by "Maggie" and also "Maddalena". Some census records also list her as "Mamie", although their 1898 marriage record clearly lists her name as Margherita Barbieri. Although it's difficult to read, it appears that her parents were Agostino Barbieri and Caterina Moglia (it's tough to make out these names, particularly the maiden name of the mother).

In any event, I'd love to hear from you if you think that this may be a relative of yours, particularly since I never found out what happened to her after Domenico died in 1906.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

best wishes

F-T
mbarberi

Post by mbarberi »

The 300 euros is Joe's daily rate. Whether it is one record or 20 records, he must travel to and from San Lorenzello, look up the record and write to you. Hence a request for one or two records makes the price prohibited.

If you want to use a professional genealogist, you should request all surname records of your family (e.g. all Barbieri's) between 1860-1890. You can mention specific records of individuals you are interested in finding but have him record all individuals with your family's surname. He will have to search the Civil Index for a specific surname anyway, so why not have him record everyone with the surname. Joe can usually do all the Baptism and/or Marriage Records for a surname for a 30 year period for 300 euros. Joe will use the Civil Index which will give the name of the person, dob, dom, parents, etc. The Civil Record Index is usually complete. Church Record Indices are not. There are gaps in the Church Index of Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths. In such a case, you will have to pay for a page-by-page search for selected time periods. However, since you are interested in the period where Civil Records are available, the Index search should be sufficient. When you have a hole in your ancestral tree that the Civil Records can not fill, a search of Church Records would be your next option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Barberi

Regards,
Mike Barberi