Dual Citizenship Documents are missing.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
carloparenti

Dual Citizenship Documents are missing.

Post by carloparenti »

What do I do if there is no birth certificate for my grandmother, she was born in the family home not a hospital, also my mother only has a record of christening which just shows her parents names. This was a small California coastal town where my Aunt tells me the doctors and priests back in 1930 were always drunk and nothing ever got recorded. Really the county has no record of my mothers birth. The Italian consulate will not go for this. My GF was an Italian citizen at the time of my mothers birth so I do qualify for Dual-Citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Documents are missing.

Post by mler »

Are you saying that you have no record or your grandmother's birth and also no record of your mother's birth?

The missing record for your grandmother should not pose too much of a problem because you are using your grandfather's line. If you are also missing a birth certificate for your mother, see if it's possible to have a delayed birth certificate recorded or, failing that, try for certified church records.
idmaclean
Rookie
Rookie

Post by idmaclean »

I filed a complaint to issue a retro-active birth record. it's a court order, every state is different and the state I am dealing with is NJ
carloparenti

Post by carloparenti »

The Italian Consulate here in San Francisco says I need my mothers birth certificate but all the county has is here Baptism record showing my GF as her father. I thought I needed my GM birth certificate or do I just need my Grandparents marriage certificate? What if my GF never officially married my GM but was still the father of my mother??? He never became naturalized.
It's so hard to know anything since he was deported.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's probably a good idea to check with the consulate on this one. Your grandmother's baptism certificate should be enough since she's not in the direct line, and the marriage certificate is further proof of who she was. Have you tried searching for a marriage certificate? It would be helpful to have even though you technically are still eligible even if they never married.

Your mother's missing birth certificate seems the most significant of the missing documents since the consulates look very closely at the birth certificate to birth certificate connection. Ask the consulate what documents they will accept in lieu of this one.
carloparenti

Post by carloparenti »

OK thanks, I hear the San Francisco Consulate is REALLY difficult over the documents. I have to find my mothers birth certificate and also find deportation info. on my GF back to Italy.