Obtaining Italian Stamps

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Obtaining Italian Stamps

Post by blujay »

In my last correspondence from Grottaglie, I received a hand written message stating: "Le prossime volte si prega di affrancare la busta con francobolli."
Does this mean that I have to purchase Italian stamps and if so, where can they be purchased in the US.

Thanks again,
blujay
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Obtaining Italian Stamps

Post by Italysearcher »

As far as I know they can't unless someone is doing it privately. I suggest you go to the bank and buy some 5 euro notes and enclose one with a note to buy stamps and have a coffee for their trouble.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

blujay wrote:In my last correspondence from Grottaglie, I received a hand written message stating: "Le prossime volte si prega di affrancare la busta con francobolli."
Does this mean that I have to purchase Italian stamps and if so, where can they be purchased in the US.

Thanks again,
blujay
I offer a 'non profit' Postage Stamp service for Italian stamps. The link is here:
>Italian Postage Stamp Service< if I can be of any help to you...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
deanamadio

Post by deanamadio »

Don't you just enclose an International Reply Coupon (you can get these at the post office). I assume you mean to have someone send you something back from Italy? They can use these to purchase postage to the U.S. in Italy. I just did this yesterday, and apparently the cost has gone up (they have to tack on an extra stamp to the coupon). God I hope they did it correctly!
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

deanamadio wrote:Don't you just enclose an International Reply Coupon (you can get these at the post office). I assume you mean to have someone send you something back from Italy? They can use these to purchase postage to the U.S. in Italy. I just did this yesterday, and apparently the cost has gone up (they have to tack on an extra stamp to the coupon). God I hope they did it correctly!
I always send a newly purchased IRC, a self-addressed return envelope, and $5.00 US with all of my requests. Grottaglie expedites a reply without a problem but they always return the IRCs and the money. I don't understand why they ask me to send future correspondences with the appropriate Italian postage if I am sending an IRC and cash. I believe that is the whole idea behind the IRC. Maybe someone can explain this to me? Thanks.
deanamadio

Post by deanamadio »

I always send a newly purchased IRC, a self-addressed return envelope, and $5.00 US with all of my requests. Grottaglie expedites a reply without a problem but they always return the IRCs and the money. I don't understand why they ask me to send future correspondences with the appropriate Italian postage if I am sending an IRC and cash. I believe that is the whole idea behind the IRC. Maybe someone can explain this to me? Thanks.[/quote]

I'm not sure why you're sending $5.00. I've, thus far, only sent letters to potential family members. I've never had anyone return the IRC, though in your case they may be doing it just to be nice. I'm a bit of a novice at sending things to Italy, but it seems to have always worked for me. Perhaps they don't understand the purpose of the IRC? LOL. Maybe you could it explain it to them in your letter?
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

deanamadio wrote:I'm not sure why you're sending $5.00. I've, thus far, only sent letters to potential family members. I've never had anyone return the IRC, though in your case they may be doing it just to be nice. I'm a bit of a novice at sending things to Italy, but it seems to have always worked for me. Perhaps they don't understand the purpose of the IRC? LOL. Maybe you could it explain it to them in your letter?
I write to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile or the Stato Archivio. Some towns in Italy have used the IRCs while others have not. The money is for their efforts in researching, the cost of the certificates, and any postal charges not covered by the IRC. It just doesn't make sense for Grottaglie to request me to send stamps when I am sending them an IRC. I suppose I should send the IRC again with an explanation, but I don't want to insult anyone in Grottaglie with a simple misunderstanding due to cultural differences.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

OK - a purely 'personal point of view' from someone who has lived here for a number of years.

1. Putting cash into an envelope to help with their 'time an research':
$5 US are only worth about €3.50 - BEFORE exchange charges which would probably amount to more than the value of the 5 dollar bill. They probably get so few (if any) that the best thing to do is to return it or frame it.

2. IRC - Some of the larger Comunes, who may have received these before, will use them. But the average 'small comune' often will not entertain such payments as- unless you are seeking an extract from an archive - which is chargeable - certificates are usually free. But the Comunes DO appreciate postage stamps..

For many small comunes it is very difficult now with the recession. So any small assistance in helping them fulfil their role - in this case with postage stamps or even €uro's instead of US dollars will, I'm sure be appreciated. But DO (please) bear in mind that in Europe it is illegal to send bank notes through the post. I don't know about north America though.

elba
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

elba wrote:OK - a purely 'personal point of view' from someone who has lived here for a number of years.

1. Putting cash into an envelope to help with their 'time an research':
$5 US are only worth about €3.50 - BEFORE exchange charges which would probably amount to more than the value of the 5 dollar bill. They probably get so few (if any) that the best thing to do is to return it or frame it.

2. IRC - Some of the larger Comunes, who may have received these before, will use them. But the average 'small comune' often will not entertain such payments as- unless you are seeking an extract from an archive - which is chargeable - certificates are usually free. But the Comunes DO appreciate postage stamps..

For many small comunes it is very difficult now with the recession. So any small assistance in helping them fulfil their role - in this case with postage stamps or even €uro's instead of US dollars will, I'm sure be appreciated. But DO (please) bear in mind that in Europe it is illegal to send bank notes through the post. I don't know about north America though.

elba
Thanks for your overseas perspective. I guess all this brings me back to the original question about obtaining Italian stamps. That might be a better solution. Only problem is to determine what type or how many per letter might be needed. At most on my return correspondences from Grottaglie, I have received two 0,62 and one 0,45 Euro stamps per envelope. At the very least, I have received one 0,62 and one 0,23 Euro stamp per envelope.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

blujay wrote:
Thanks for your overseas perspective. I guess all this brings me back to the original question about obtaining Italian stamps. That might be a better solution. Only problem is to determine what type or how many per letter might be needed. At most on my return correspondences from Grottaglie, I have received two 0,62 and one 0,45 Euro stamps per envelope. At the very least, I have received one 0,62 and one 0,23 Euro stamp per envelope.
Hi Bluejay,

If you read my previous answer (third post on THIS thread) that should answer your queries. Or just send me a PM and I will be able to help you with stamps and postage details.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

Thanks elba! Just need some time to sort out how many stamps I might need.

blujay
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I don't know how illegal it is to send bank notes throught he post in Italy but at least one town sent me 'cents' change (taped to the page) from a bank note I had enclosed!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

One side note here for those working on the exchange rates - we just returned from Italy this month - for the first time we learned that due to bad rates right now and the devalue of the US dollar, one must have a minimum dollar amount or the bank will NOT exchange it - and even at over $200 US, my sister in law stood for 45 minutes while they verififed rates, etc. So it is not doing them any favors at this time to send US dollars! They cannot do anything with only a couple dollars.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blujay »

bonval wrote:One side note here for those working on the exchange rates - we just returned from Italy this month - for the first time we learned that due to bad rates right now and the devalue of the US dollar, one must have a minimum dollar amount or the bank will NOT exchange it - and even at over $200 US, my sister in law stood for 45 minutes while they verififed rates, etc. So it is not doing them any favors at this time to send US dollars! They cannot do anything with only a couple dollars.
Good to know! Thank you!