Was my grand father an Italian citizen?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
capo1

Was my grand father an Italian citizen?

Post by capo1 »

Hello all, this is my first post but have read many.

I am trying to obtain citizenship through "jure sanguinis".
My grand father was born here and broght back to Italy where he remained for aprox. 15 years.

My Great Grand Father did not naturalize in the states until after he was born.

How can I find and what is the document I would need to prove my grand Father was an Italian citizen?

If a doc does exist, I would not have to go back to get my great grandparents records from Italy which are pre 1900

Thank you for any help,
Capo1
mler
Master
Master

Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?

Post by mler »

I'm sorry, but you will need to go back to your greatgrandfather. His Italian birth certificate and his naturalizion papers would be enough to prove that he was an Italian citizen when your grandfather was born. That would make your grandfather Italian.

This is not all that difficult since the marriage, death and naturalization records are in this country. It's only the birth certificate that comes from Italy.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

not exactly, my grandfather was married in Italy and I believe, passed away there as well. However, I dont know what town he was married in or what town he passed away in. I also know even less about my great grand mother....her place of birth and death are a mystery.

when the need arises, are the any recomendations on how to get the vital records from italy.

I have seen some sites: www.myitalianfamily.com
www.italiamerica.org
www.italylink.com
to name a few, any suggestions.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Begin with the birth certificate. He may well have returned to his comune of birth to marry and to live. His death certificate may have been recorded there as well.

In many consulates you will not be required to produce documents for your GGM since she is not in the direct line.

If you provide some more detailed information, perhaps some of the posters on this site will be able to locate the information you need.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

Thank you for your help.

I am awaiting my GGP naturalization record from the USCIS and hopefully that will have his correct birth date on it. When i receive it I will post it to see what anyone can come up with.

I still would need his marriage cert correct?
I am also in the process of getting a naturalization record for my GGM which I am not sure even exists.

Also, should I consult a lawyer for the dual citizenship process?
Will I have to pay any taxes or join the military or any of the horror stories that are out there about dual citizenship with Italy?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

There is no reason you can't do this by yourself. Most people do, and a lawyer has no more access to information than you do. Italy no longer has a military draft, and you don't pay taxes in Italy unless you live and work there.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

What about the websites that obtain vitals from Italy, good, bad?

What about the websites that obtain vitals from Italy, good, bad?

I also just read most of this thread on another forum site:

http://www.icgsmb.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4098

My grandfather was born in the states in 1910 and my GGF naturalized 1915, is this going to be a problem for the consulate in Newark, NJ.
I have spoken with her a couple times and she never mentioned this prior to 1912 thing to me before.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

No one has yet reported a problem of this type in Newark. I'm not even sure it's a real issue in NY; it could be only a bad decision on a bad day. But if you've been reading these threads for a while, you know that things at the consulates are always changing.

So far, I think you're ok. We would need to see this happening several more times before we can say that this is the new interpretation.

If you write to your GGF's comune, you can get his records as quickly as they can. The services have mixed reviews. Some have been very satisfied; some no.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

Is there any particular "form" I should follow in writing them?
I have emailed in the past got no response.
I know it should be in Italian, but my writing and speaking is not up to par just yet.
What would be the process, and I would probably need to know his exact dob.
I saw other post where people were able to find out more about there ancestors through census searches. Where can I search those as well>
My GGF name is Nicola Caporuscio born 1881 Pontecorvo Italy. Thats about all that I have found.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Just a few suggestions.

Try www.ancestry.com or www.footnote.com You can get trial memberships in either.

You may also want to post as much information on this site as you're comfortable with. Many of our posters are really good at finding things (unfortunately, I'm not one of them).

You may also want to ask your letter question on one of these sites:

www.italylink.com
www.myitaliancitizenship.com

BTW, snail mail usually gets better results than e-mail.

Best of luck.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

capo1 wrote:Is there any particular "form" I should follow in writing them?
I have emailed in the past got no response.
I know it should be in Italian, but my writing and speaking is not up to par just yet.
What would be the process, and I would probably need to know his exact dob.
I saw other post where people were able to find out more about there ancestors through census searches. Where can I search those as well>
My GGF name is Nicola Caporuscio born 1881 Pontecorvo Italy. Thats about all that I have found.

Thanks again
Here's a good sample letter to use:
http://www.expatsinitaly.com/citizenshi ... cords.html
capo1

Post by capo1 »

excellent, all I have to do is wait for th USCIS to hopefully come back with his exact DOB and I am in business.

Thanks for the format.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

I have been searching ancesrty.com but I cant seem to find any records from Italy.
I am looking for my GGF Nicola Caporuscio born approx 1881 in Pontecorvo, Lazio, Italy

I find many records on him in the states but nothing in Italy, am I searching wrong?

I would love to find his birth and death recs. and if I am lucky a marriage rec as well.
capo1

Post by capo1 »

I am having some trouble with ancestry.com. I cant seem to ooofind out how to search records in Italy. I am looking for my GGF Niclola Cpaoruscio
1879-1933 and my GGM Angeliana Caporuscio (Cicilline) 1883 - ?
GGF from Pontecorvo, Italy
GGm I assume the same
Both born, married and died in Italy.
Thank you,
JC
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
This link has a list of the Italian civil records that are available on ancestry. com:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 11939.html