Researching Giovanni Pasquale, Velia Faiella (Boston, Ma.)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Researching Giovanni Pasquale, Velia Faiella (Boston, Ma.)

Post by LaBud »

Hello to all my Cugina's and Cugino's,
My oldest brother John and I have finally hit that brick wall that you all talk about. We have been doing this research for many years with very little success on our Paternal side. Please bear with me....
Our Grandfather Giovanni Pasquale was born in Prezza, Italy (L"Aquila) @ 1865. At some point he met and married a Veila Faiella born in Cisterna, Rome B: @ 1875
Their 1st son Guisseppe, b:1905, 2nd son Enrico (Henry) b: 1907 in Italy.
A cousin to our Dad, Ferdinando Pasquale (91yrs) states his father put Velia, Guisseppe and Enrico "on the boat" in Naples. (When ???)
Now we don't know what port they came through, nor do we know when or where our Grandfather Giovanni arrived in the USA.

Giovanni settled on North St. Boston, Ma. (No. End)
In 1913 they were blessed with our Dad (George Carmen) who claimed he changed his name to Americo George, then went his entire life being called "Teddy" (Go figure, LOL)
Next came Josephine b: 1914, then Virgilio B: 1918.

We do know Giovanni had a brother Antonio and also Roberto, who came to the USA as well. Roberto at some point walked away from the family and headed to Vancouver and that is all we know.

Giovanni at some point moved his family to Salem St. in the No.End and opened a butcher shop on the 1st floor of their house, which still stands today. Dad and Uncle Henry had to leave school to run the shop when Gramp Giovanni died. Then Uncle Henry went on to be a Dancer and traveled extensively with his dance partner Dorothea LaDorr, which ended when he had to return to Boston when Gram Velia died.

We have gotten very little info from the 1920 and 1930 Census. They even have Gram spelled VelEa and no E on Pasquale.

Velia Faiella was born to Giacomo Faiella and Philomena Vitelli. Philomena's mother's name was Josephine Pascucci, dad's name unkn Vitelli.
Any help anyone can offer us on any info on our Grandparents coming to the USA and any other siblings they may have had is much appreciated.
I'm sorry for such a long post, but I have read where it is best to give as much info as possible.
Thankyou so much. It's a pleasure to finally be here with all of you. :)

LaBud

Researching: Pasquale, Faiella, Spadorcia, Sforza and all the other vowels from Prezza, Abruzzi :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Researching Giovanni Pasquale, Velia Faiella (Boston, Ma

Post by wldspirit »

Great post.....and the more details the better our members can search for clues to help you past that brick wall.... :D So don't worry about the length!!

Have you located any Canadian records?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

Hi Wldspirit,
Thanks for your reply. The answer is No, to Canadian records.

We 1st thought the Giovanni Pasquale arriving at Ellis 6/13/13 was our Grandfather but it is not possible seeing Velia sailed from Naples when Guisseppe was 5 and Henry was 3, which would make it 1910 or so.
It appears that Giovanni was already here on North St. and had every Cugino as a border before she arrived. (Hey someone had to pay the rent for the cold water flat. Probably $20.00/month back then. LOL)

What I really think is a shame is that nobody every asked anything back then. We would ask our mother if Gram (who died before all of us were born) if she had any siblings. Ma being "old school" always said: we never asked those questions. What???
We sure hope through this wonderful site that maybe a few bricks will fall off that wall.
LaBud
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have the utmost faith in our members, I've seen them pull a needle out of a haystack!! :wink:

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

LaBud wrote:Giovanni settled on North St. Boston, Ma. (No. End)
In 1913 they were blessed with our Dad (George Carmen) who claimed he changed his name to Americo George, then went his entire life being called "Teddy" (Go figure, LOL)
Next came Josephine b: 1914, then Virgilio B: 1918
Hello!
I know this doesn't help much in the manifest hunt, but interesting?
The latest that Velia and her sons could have arrived was 23 Apr 1912 :wink:
Valarie

I checked the town birth register for your dad
Since the NEHGS site prevents image capture, here's a transcription
(the record is typed)
Valarie

City of Boston for the Year 1912
vol 609, page 95, record 4254
24 Apr
Americo Carmine G Pasquale
M
place of birth:
15 Noyes Pl
residence of parents:
15 Noyes Pl
father:
Giovanni
born in Italy
mother:
Velia Faiella
born in Italy

---

Just for reference, the census records you mentioned:
Pasquale Family at 146 Salem Street, Boston

1920 census
1930 census
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Was this manifest ruled out?

possible 1907 manifest

11 Feb 1907 SS Cedric, Naples to NY
line 27

Giambattista Pasquale 40 (abt 1867)
- married
- last residence Prezza
- destination Boston Mass
- joining cousin G(?) Nicola at 5 North Square
- born in Prezza
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

HI VJ,
Thankyou so much for both of your replies.
OMG, I am so happy to see where my Dad was born. We just assumed it was on Salem St. Yep, that's him alright, and you also confirmed his name is Americo Carmine George, and he didn't really change his 1st name.
Also the 2nd document you posted, not quite sure where this guy fits in yet, however the other 2 people listed are our relatives...DiRamio and Mancini.

I am very greatful for all this hard work but do have more questions (sorry)
On the 1920 Census, when I see Giovanni and Velia's name and scroll over, it says that he arrived in 1910 and Velia and Enrico arrived in 1914.
Obviously it couldn't have been 1914 they arrived d/t when my Dad was born. I understand they made these mistakes all the time d/t transcription etc.
Question...how can I find When and Where Giovanni arrived in Boston and also the same for Velia and Enrico which we believe she came in 1910, because Enrico was 3yrs. and that would make more sense.

Trust me when I tell you that I have been on just about every site trying to locate any info. My funds do not allow me to have full access to Ancestry and such.

I told you all that Enrico (Henry) had a dance act with Dorothea LaDorr and I laughed and cried when I saw him listed as an Actor.
Again, my ongoing thanks to all of you helping me in our never ending search.
I have more questions but I will go slow with them. I don't want to hog the board. :)
Ciao, LaBud
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

LaBud wrote:Also the 2nd document you posted, not quite sure where this guy fits in yet, however the other 2 people listed are our relatives...DiRamio and Mancini.
Actually, I think it may be your grandfather Giovanni.
(Giambattista is the combination of Gianni & Battista - John Baptist :wink: )
The date of arrival fits between Enrico and your father's births, and his age is close to your census records
(between 1865-1872).
Also on the 1930 census he stated he arrived in 1908...
On the 1920 Census, when I see Giovanni and Velia's name and scroll over, it says that he arrived in 1910 and Velia and Enrico arrived in 1914.
Obviously it couldn't have been 1914 they arrived d/t when my Dad was born. I understand they made these mistakes all the time d/t transcription etc.
Question...how can I find When and Where Giovanni arrived in Boston and also the same for Velia and Enrico which we believe she came in 1910, because Enrico was 3yrs. and that would make more sense.
The dates on the census really depended upon who was giving the information and what they knew. In some cases language could have been a barrier. Whoever gave the information in 1920 appears to have been relying on memory.

I've looked for Velia & her sons' manifest without success under both Faiella and Pasquale (there's no doubt that many of our members :D have also been looking).

Have you looked for Giovanni or his sons' naturalization papers? Since they were filed after 1906 they should have the ship name & date of arrival on them.

Also, where is son Giuseppe in 1920?
I have more questions but I will go slow with them
Go ahead :wink: !

Thanks!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Thought you may enjoy these from the Cleveland Plain Dealer
from GenealogyBank. com

2 Jan 1938

picture and article
---

14 Oct 1934

picture and article
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

OMG Valerie...you are just Brilliant, that's all I can say besides a huge Thankyou.
1st, Giovanni's name does make a lot of sense, but I will have to check with my brother John.
2nd, as you said, d/t language barriers etc. could Velia's name come out as Amelia or Avelia? That's using the "broken english" if you know what I mean.
3rd, as for the other son, again I have to check with my brother and get back to you.
4th, we actually have those pictures and then some and they are beautiful. I can't thankyou enough for all of this. I must read the article. I was so excited I wanted to post to you 1st.

A big question I have is looking at a map, Cisterna is a looong way from Prezza. We know Velia was born there but can't figure out how she met Giovanni in Prezza or the other way around.
All we ever heard about from different family that have sinced passed on, is La Crocce, where all the family names are there. Faiella is one of the names.
Our mother is a Spadorcia/Sforza
That mountain is only so big and we have found so many intermarriages between the cousins.
This is turning into a Family Bush, not a tree and it's a wonder we aren't all growing tails by now. LOL

I'll be back :)
Ciao, La Bud
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

Hello Everyone,
Well my brother John was just as excited as me when he saw all the info uncovered so far on our Grandparents, thanks to all you wonderful people.

What he shared with me is Velia was born in Cisterna, Rome to Giacomo Faiella and his wife Philomena (Vitelli) Faiella
Our Paternal GGF went to Rome with his son Giovanni to look for work. It is there that Giovanni met Velia. Love blossomed but Velia's parents frowned upon them getting married as Giovanni was from a peasant family in Prezza and they were of Roman Royalty.Velia and Giovanni married and went to live in Prezza with our GGM & GGF Pasquale and started their family. Velia was disowned by her parents because of this marriage, never to see them again.

Now did they have any more children or was Velia an only child? Have no clue at all on this one. (Another brick)
To our knowledge, Velia was the only one in her family to come to America.
It appears that we should be looking for Faiella's in Prezza, Abruzzi and not banging our heads and looking in Rome.
We do know the Faiella's and the Spadorcia's ( my Mom's family) did intermarry along the way and so didn't the Pasquale's and all the other's.

Hey, is that a tail growing out behind me? :)
Any help or direction is greatly appreciated.
Ciao, LaBud
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
I'm so glad you spoke with your brother.
It makes sense now how Velia met Giovanni in Prezza.
Tried to find their manifest again today without any luck.
What did your brother say about son Giuseppe?
Do you have Enrico's birth & death dates?
Enrico may be the one that holds the clue to the manifest, if he naturalized.
Thanks! Valarie

and don't worry if you find any - we all have them :wink:
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Got it :D , arrived in Boston from Prezza

1911 manifest
page 2

Arrived 1 Feb 1911
SS Romanic
Naples to Boston
lines 28-30

Clelia Faiella 35 (abt 1875)
- last residence Prezza
- in Prezza father-in-law Ferdinando Pasquale
- destination Boston Mass
- joining husband Giovanni Pasquale at 1 North Sq
- born in Prezza
son Giuseppe Pasquale 13 (abt 1897)
son Enrico Pasquale 5 (abt 1905)
- possible naturalization notation: 1-55072

from Behind the Name
http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/ita.php
CLELIA
Usage: Italian
Meaning unknown, from the Latin name Cloelia.
In Roman legend Cloelia was a maiden who was given to an Etruscan invader as a hostage, but managed to escape by swimming across the Tiber.
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

You did it again Valerie! I'm sorry for not posting back sooner but we are doing the "happy dance" in Boston and Fla. with your wonderful find.
It has answered a lot of questions for us, most importantly, took down 1/2 a wall. I have my brother piling the bricks that fell, in his new wheelbarrel. :) We just can't say Thankyou enough for all your hard work.

Your question in an earlier post re: son Guisseppe.
Here is the info that big brother John sent me yesterday.

"Giuseppe was 17 years old when he fell off a plank and died when they were building the Hotel Statler, Boston, Ma. @ 1915. The data said he was listed as 13 years of age when he came with our grandmother on the S.S. Romanic Feb,1911. That says, 4 years in Boston he would have been 17 years old around 1915 just after Aunt Josephine was born. Virgilio was 13 when he died, around 1930, 31."

Now on to put more pieces of this puzzle together. The manifests show more relatives who went on to Niagara falls, N.Y.

Also, have never been able to locate Roberto Pasquale who took off to Vancouver, never to be heard from again. That's a whole piece of our family that is missing who probably don't even know we all exist.

Valerie, you have brought us so much joy and happiness. A big Thankyou once again from Ma. and Fla.
I'll be back :)
Ciao, LaBud
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'm so glad we could find this manifest!
It's really nice of your big brother to do the heavy lifting on the wall.
Thank you for the information on Giuseppe.
Valarie