Marriages

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Marriages

Post by Fugie »

I have been researching marriages in the southern part of Italy and am confused. There is a notificanzi, Promise to Marry, Publicazoni and Marriage Act. What is the order of these acts? Is the notificanzi and Promise to Marry the same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mary
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Marriages

Post by Essgee »

Hi.....

The pubbliccazioni and notificazioni are the first documents recorded. This document is recorded in the town of birth...so if they were born in different towns, it will be recorded in different towns. The pubblicazioni include date, time, and place where the document was made. It also included the names, ages, occupations, places of birth and residences of those to be married and similar info on the parents of each, plus witnesses.

These are in essence the banns of marriage and when they were read aloud to the public, the bann was registered by the clerk. They were published three times......

The marriage record is the Atto di Matrimonio. Though the marriage was in the church, the state required a civil marriage to be registered in the town hall. Mostly this occured before the churh wedding, sometimes after. If completed before the church wedding, it was called the atto di solenne promessa di matrimonio...or the promise to marry. When entered after the church wedding, it was called the atto di matrimonio or the marriage. Both forms include the same information.

The recording of the marriage required both the bride and groom and the parents of both and at least four witnesses. They had to present all appropriate documentation....called the Processetti. These are also refered to as the allegati. The processetti and allegati are stored in a different section then the Atto di Matrimonio in the records. But in the films of the records, they may actually be included together. Anyway the processetti are all the documents that the couple had to present to be married. They include:

The couples birth records
The death records of the parents if they are not living.
The Pubblicazioni of the wedding banns.
Proof there was no opposition to their marriage.
If the parents were dead, the death record of the grandfather may also be included (you had to get permission from father and mother to marry...if they were dead, you had to get permission from grandfather...if they were dead and could not give permission, you had to include their death records to proved it)
If the bride or groom had been married before, then you had to have the death record of the dead spouse as well.

When you can get your hands on the Processetti or Allegati do so before you get just the marriage record.....these contain so much more info.

Hope this helped....
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Your explanations of the various marriage documents was extremely helpful. I read and read Trafford Cole's book but was still confused. You explained it so well and I greatly appreciate the time you took to put it in writing.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mary
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Susan thank you from me as well!! I would be beset and bewitched doing what you did for Mary....I am so relieved!! Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Thanks Mary...glad it helped!

And thanks Peter...you are most kind my friend!

Susan