Italian Army

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Italian Army

Post by sal4 »

Hi everyone......My Grandfather Raffaele Iasalvatore was born in Italy in 1875.....He came to America in 1902...my question is.....were all men in Italy required to be in the Italian Army and if so how would I obtain those records? and my second question is did he have to register for the draft here in WW1 and WW2.....Thanks....Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Italian Army

Post by vintagegamer »

Hi Sal,

I was told that until only recently, all Italian men at the age of 18 were mandated to serve in the military for 2 yrs. Hopefully someone here can provide more info as well.

Jim
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Thank You Jim......at least now I know that he was in the Italian Army...Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

That is correct guys.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

I was told that any records older then 70 years the Archivio di Stato of (the province he was born) keeps the records, my great-grandfather was born in treia in 1872 and I was told to write to the Archivio di Stato di Macerata and I just received his records in the mail, he only served for two years, he was dismissed when he was 20, what is cool about it is that it has his hight, weight, eye colour, hair colour, etc. it was very exciting to know all that information since I wasn't able to meet him.
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Hi Chris.......Thank You for the info.......I have a question....did you have to pay for the documents and if so how much?.....Thanks.....Sal4
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

No i didn't have to pay, I just emailed them, you do need the exact date month year and place of birth for them.
goodluck!!!
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Thank you again Chris.......
Tore

Post by Tore »

ChrisMosca wrote:No i didn't have to pay, I just emailed them, you do need the exact date month year and place of birth for them.
goodluck!!!

Chris can you post the exact email request you made to get this info please?
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Could perhaps one of the Italian speaking people post a proper letter requesting military records?

Here is what I sent. I do not know Italian, however, so I hope it works ok and is enough information. My request is fairly recent, thus I have not received a response yet.

I sent:
si prega di inviare militari record.

Liberato Biagianti.
Nato o Sorano Pitigliano.
18 Ott 1883
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Donna I seem to recall that some time before my "sabbatical" from the this forum I furnished you with the website for the form letters concerning Italian records or perhaps I am mistaken (?). In either event the website to go for the form letters is http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html which has proper form letters in Italian language. The address is obviously known to you since you already have sent a request to the provincial military archives. =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I revisited the angelfire site, Peter and missed the military part. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for the reminder.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Donna it's never an inconvenience and am very happy to assist. I hope your learning Italian has progressed well. =Peter=
~Peter~
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Post by ChrisMosca »

This is what I wrote:

Cerco dell fogli matricolari e lista di leva di fratelli del mio nonno tutto nato nel treia.

and I gave them the birth dates of all the brothers of my grandfather.

and in the subject i wrote:fogli matricolari, Lista di Leva
Tore

Post by Tore »

Thanks Chris.. we compiled an email similar to yours as the angel page seems a bit dated and didn't really address the business of emails and didn't have (or I couldn't find) a draft of an email regarding a foglio matricolare
thanks again