Surname CAVALCANTE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
toothfairy

Surname CAVALCANTE

Post by toothfairy »

I don’t know if I’m doing this right but my maiden name is CAVALCANTE and my Great grandfather was born in Italy – Michael Cavalcante, brother of Ralph A. Cavlcante and Angelo Cavlcante. Michael had two sons in Italy Joseph and Anthony J. He also had 7 more sons and a daughter in Pennsylvania, USA. Joseph, my Great Uncle lists his place of birth as Nusco, Italy. My Grandfather was Alfred Cavalcante. Michael Cavalcante may also be Michle Cavalcante in Italy. He was married to Maria Antoinetta Tate in Italy. Could you please let me know if you may have any information? Santa Domenica talao, Consenza wa also listed as having this surname.
:D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname CAVALCANTE

Post by suanj »

toothfairy wrote:I don’t know if I’m doing this right but my maiden name is CAVALCANTE and my Great grandfather was born in Italy – Michael Cavalcante, brother of Ralph A. Cavlcante and Angelo Cavlcante. Michael had two sons in Italy Joseph and Anthony J. He also had 7 more sons and a daughter in Pennsylvania, USA. Joseph, my Great Uncle lists his place of birth as Nusco, Italy. My Grandfather was Alfred Cavalcante. Michael Cavalcante may also be Michle Cavalcante in Italy. He was married to Maria Antoinetta Tate in Italy. Could you please let me know if you may have any information? Santa Domenica talao, Consenza wa also listed as having this surname.
are this Cavalcante living in Nusco(Avellino province/Campania region) ..
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... co&x=0&y=0
you can write an letter to this persons for info relationship..suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear toothfairy. We do not have information you will,howver, when you resedarch where we tell you to go. In Italy all records, documents and history are in the town of origin and if you do not know the town of origin then go to www.ellisisland.org for the arrival of the earliest ancestor to arrive from Italy in order to find the town of origin, his birth year and other data from the manifest. When doing genealogy research be it casual or deep and going back to the dark ages, it s the cardinal rule to work backwards. There is a book titled. Italian Genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole ($35.00) which is a great and easy read and will take you back as far as the records will take you (unless one of your early dark age ancestor was a saint, a nobleman or a person of illutrious ill repute. Peter
toothfairy

Post by toothfairy »

Thank you both for the information. I will especially try to write those listed from suanj. Thanks! :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear toothfairy yes by all means write to those people but genealogy is what yoi are seeking or is it just people with the same surnames? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am sorry I did not finish what I had to say since something came up. Do you want a letrter in Italian to potantial relatives or can you write inItalian.? If you cannot write in Italian then either go to www.freetranslation.com to compose a letter or if you give me your e-mail adddress via private message I will send you the form letter. Peter
toothfairy

Post by toothfairy »

Peter, Yes, a form letter would be great since I neither read or write Italian :( , I would like to find any records of my family line but also to see if I still have relations in Italy. I tried Ellis Island.org but no apparent matches to my known relatives. I use ancestory.com so I have found up to my great grandparents in the USA but no immigration records for them. I am still researching though it takes a while, especially for your brain to make the connections. :lol:
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Do you know approximately what year your great grandfather was born in Nusco?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Sorry for the typo ..it is www.anzwers.......the rest is OK and if you wish to discover the arrival rfecords for your family then go to www.Nara.gov and click Immigration and then selct order forms and then choose Fprm 81 passenger arrivals in the uSA this covers all arrivals in the Usa dating from about 1840 onwards. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

toothfairy wrote:I don’t know if I’m doing this right but my maiden name is CAVALCANTE and my Great grandfather was born in Italy – Michael Cavalcante, brother of Ralph A. Cavlcante and Angelo Cavlcante. Michael had two sons in Italy Joseph and Anthony J. He also had 7 more sons and a daughter in Pennsylvania, USA. Joseph, my Great Uncle lists his place of birth as Nusco, Italy. My Grandfather was Alfred Cavalcante. Michael Cavalcante may also be Michle Cavalcante in Italy. He was married to Maria Antoinetta Tate in Italy. Could you please let me know if you may have any information? Santa Domenica talao, Consenza wa also listed as having this surname.
Hi Toothfairy,

Sicne I read your post that you were on Ancestry.com, I hope you saw the World War I Draft Cards which actually listed the dates for Michele, Raffaele, Joseph, and James.

Just in case you don't get that part of Ancestry, they are
Michele - September 30, 1874
Joseph - September 10, 1894
James - April 8, 1893
Ralph - Feb 15, 1885

The Draft Cards of Joseph and James list Nusco as the town they were born in. Nusco is in the Province of Avellino. However, only Italy was noted for Michele and Ralph

Don't forget to check Social Security Death Index for the birth and death dates of the children of Michele.

Also per the census, Michele was 18 when he married Antoinetta who was 16. Therefore, they were married about 1892. The other thing the census stated was Michele was naturalized in 1898. It looks like he came about 1894 but the census is a little damaged and hard to make out.

I also saw Giuseppe Cavalcante in 1901, age 16, coming from Nusco, going to go see his brother in Vanderbilt, PA.

The last thing is there is microfilm for the town. The link below is the link to the Family History Center's film numbers.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Hope this is a help.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

brujaojos wrote:
Hi Toothfairy,

I forgot to add, you can try to get Michele's Naturalization papers from Fayette County Archives. Their link is http://www.westol.com/fforward/county/prothon/Proth.htm

Call and find out how much and then send a letter with all the information you have on Michele.

One last note, don't forget Ellis Island wasn't the only port of arrival. There was Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, and the list goes on.

Have a good one.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Toothfairy I am happy that you have all the background information disclosed to you but your oriignazl inquiry was to know not only about your family but also about your relations in Italy which the information you are presently sending to ZItaly will disclose. The more current informationm about your family line here in the USA is I am sure well received by you. The person who furnished this information is a commercial genealogist and may attempt to do business with you privately for money so be attentive to this aspect even though her infromation seems reasonably correct. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ptimber wrote:Dear Toothfairy I am happy that you have all the background information disclosed to you but your oriignazl inquiry was to know not only about your family but also about your relations in Italy which the information you are presently sending to ZItaly will disclose. The more current informationm about your family line here in the USA is I am sure well received by you. The person who furnished this information is a commercial genealogist and may attempt to do business with you privately for money so be attentive to this aspect even though her infromation seems reasonably correct. Peter
Hi Peter,

First, the person was asking for any information in general. Many websites like Roots Web are places where people just put a post asking for any information and/or who they are looking for. Some people are fortunate and might get a response back.

Second, I was giving out information such as there are other ways of obtaining information about your ancestors such as World War I Draft Cards. Also, a lot of people don't realize how much information is on a Census. And remember, not everyone came into Ellis Island.

have a good day!
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »