Ufficio di Stato Civile

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Ufficio di Stato Civile

Post by lynnef »

I wrote a letter recently to the Comune di Caulonia asking for a copy of the birth certificates of my MGGF and MGGM. Would anyone know how long it would take for me to hear back from them? I'm anxious to receive a reply since my family and I are drawing a blank on my MGGM's surname (or I should say the exact spelling of it). I enclosed a self-addressed envelope with my letter. Thanks for any help you can give. :)
mler
Master
Master

Re: Ufficio di Stato Civile

Post by mler »

The time varies from comune to comune, and if you are uncertain of the spelling, it may take some additional time to locate the documents. My request to Napoli took about six weeks.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thank you, mler. :)
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Hello Lynn,

I wrote a letter to the comune of Piazza Armerina roughly 2 months back. I just recieved the letter this past monday. laughingly the letter was not what I was looking for. They stated that they could not find any Lorenzo Romano born in Piazza Armerina.

However I was able to find the Microfilm notice of birth so, I know that he was born on the date and town specified. I am re writing it with as much information and paperwork that I can rovide. I mean I have it from the micro film copy but it is nice to have the documentation directly from Italy.

On the flip side to that coin. I asked the same question as you. "what should the time frame be to recieve something back" The answer that I recieved from a very knowledgable woman at the LDS that I frequent was. " The main job specification of the city hall you are writing to is not to answer paper work from Americans looking for thier relatives. It is to take care of town business" She stated this in the nicest way she could. and after thinking about it on the way home I agree with her. I have run into nasty people here in America when I go to the county clerks offices and request paperwork. They say to me " is this for genealogy work" really bad attitudes. I mean whatever it is for we pay them for their time right. I got my fathers birth ad death certificates and my grand parents death certificates and it cost me 60 bucks. FOR FIVE MINUTES WORTH OF THEIR TIME....LOL.

Be patient. It will come to you.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks for your input, Michael. It's been only six weeks since I sent my request. I also sent a letter to a possible relative (and possibly the only relative I may still have) in Calabria at the same time. Yes, you are right...patience is the key word here! As I've gotten older, I've learned to appreciate that word more and more. Thanks for your words of encouragement. Let me assure you that once I do receive some information, I'll be one happy camper! I'm going on two years now researching my Italian roots...and every little bit of information is a blessing for sure! :wink: :)
Lynne
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Hello again Lynn. I see you think you may only have one relative left in Calabria.

Try using this link. It is for Italian Surnames. Type your name in the top left corner and hit enter. All the dots that appear on the map are families with your last name.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... l?cognome=

Also there is a http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html
( White pages for Italy) I looked up my Greatgrandmothers last name in Piazza Armerina and there were five families there still. I sent a letter to each of the families and got a response from and actual reative. try anything and everything you can think of. You will be surprised of the outcome.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks for the links, Michael. I'm familiar with both of them. :)

The reasoning behind my thinking I have very few, if any, relatives living in Italy is because my MGGF had one sibling - a sister. My MGGM had no siblings. I found a Vincenzo Ali (the exact same name as my MGGF) living in Calabria. I have written to him and am keeping my fingers crossed that we are related. :wink:
Lynne
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

I haven't heard back from Mr. Ali...going on three months now...and trying to be very patient! Any suggestions as to what I should do next, if anything, would be greatly appreciated Grazie. :)
Lynne
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Italian law says you have the right to receive a reply within a 'reasonable' time. This usually translates to 30 days. Since you are in USA 8 weeks would seem reasonable given the time for mail. If after that you have heard nothing you could try telephoning them to ask if they received your letter OR write to the Mayor quoting the law and a copy of your request.
No one will get in trouble, this is the way things are, but you should now get a response.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello Lynne!

The Il Circolo Calabrese site also has an interactive form letter for following up with the comune.

Follow-up letter following a failure to respond to your original request:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

Valarie
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lynnef »

Thanks for your replies, Italysearcher and Valarie. If I decided to hire a professional genealogist (which is something I've been considering for the last six months or so), is there someone you could recommend? Grazie. :)
Lynne
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

For $650 a day I would go there too!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.....and who pays for the expenses? =Peter=
~Peter~
jpatsy

Post by jpatsy »

Ugh, this doesn't bode well for me. I'm sending a request to Caulonia in the morning!

Best of luck!