Name Change Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Name Change Question

Post by dzarello »

It has recently been discovered that my GGGF Vincenzo had possibly changed/Americanized his name between the 1920's and 1930's AFTER he was granted Naturalization. My question is, will this name change affect my chances of obtaining dual citizenship? If it does, what do I need to do ahead of time to prevent this from becoming an issue?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Name Change Question

Post by mler »

If he simply changed his name to Vincent, you may have to change the name on your grandfather's birth certificate from Vincent to Vincenzo. The process for doing this varies depending on where the document was issued.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

His Italianbirth record is Vincenzo and so are his naturalization records from what I can read so what document would you need to reflect Vincent?? Was his name change to Vincent formal or informal??

Go to www.myitalianfamily.com and since they give you a half hour free consultation ask them. =Peter=
~Peter~
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Given that the consulates are becoming increasingly picky, he may have to amend the bc of Vincenzo's child so that his/her birth certificate has the Italian name that is on his father's certificate. I had to do this with my own birth certificate because the original had the anglicized version of my dad's name.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

.....or maybe not. Perhaps he should contact the consulate he is dealing with and ask them if they require anything at all concerning the Italian name and its english equivalent and spare himself the trouble? =Peter=
~Peter~
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Makes sense if he can reach them. Interestingly enough, at my first meeting, I was told that the difference was not an issue. (My father's anglicized name was on my birth certificate.) When I applied, however, I was told that an amendment to my birth certificate would be needed--a simple process for me since it was my birth certificate.

I do agree that Vincent is so obviously a translation of Vincenzo that it should not cause any difficulty. Lately, though, I've been a bit gun-shy about these minor discrepancies because so many people are reporting increased scrutiny of documents at the consulates. In any case, you're right; only the consulate decides what it will or will not accept.
dzarello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dzarello »

Thank you for the help. I will check with myitalianfamily.com to see what they say. Hopefully the name change will not be a big deal.