WIll a missing marriage certifcate break my case?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
FurioLazzari

WIll a missing marriage certifcate break my case?

Post by FurioLazzari »

I wish to eventually apply for Italian citizenship but due to the pre-1946 not thru the maternal line rule I can´t do it via ius sanguinis rules. The only way I can see is to apply for naturalisation after 3 years residence (Or possibly only 2 years - art. 4. sub1c ) in Italy by virtue of having an Italian Grandmother (Italian citizenship law art 9 subsection1a).

http://cyberatlantis.com/library/citize ... /italy.txt

My great-grandfather was Italian born and since my grandmother was born before my GGF became a US citizen that means that my grandmother was Italian at birth even though she was born in the US.

My Problems:
1. I am missing my GGF´s marriage certificate because we have no idea where he got married to my great-grandmother. Without the marriage certificate
will everything be useless?

2. My grandmother has already died. So I will have to register her as an Italian citizen post mortem. Can this be easily done?
mler
Master
Master

Re: WIll a missing marriage certifcate break my case?

Post by mler »

You will be applying in Italy if you go the naturalization route, so it's difficult to say what they will or will not require. If you will be residing at your ancestral comune, it's possible that the marriage record is on file there. You never know.

Actually, all you need do is prove that your grandmother was born before your great-grandfather became a U.S. citizen. That means she was Italian and that you qualify for the residency route to citizenship.
FurioLazzari

Re: WIll a missing marriage certifcate break my case?

Post by FurioLazzari »

mler wrote:You will be applying in Italy if you go the naturalization route, so it's difficult to say what they will or will not require. If you will be residing at your ancestral comune, it's possible that the marriage record is on file there. You never know.

Actually, all you need do is prove that your grandmother was born before your great-grandfather became a U.S. citizen. That means she was Italian and that you qualify for the residency route to citizenship.
Doubt he was married in Italy as he married an Irish woman but it´s true I haven´t
checked there yet.

I have his first US passport application gives the date of his naturalisation as well as listing the names of wife and children.