Advice/help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mmonico
Rookie
Rookie

Advice/help

Post by mmonico »

So I think a golden nugget fell into my lap, maybe. Before the new geneology search dept started last year, and when the new one started I used it also just to cover both areas and maybe one would be faster than the other. Well I recieved my GGF naturalization papers and my GF was born before my GGF became Naturalized so Im good there except for the mis-spelling of his last name and the bith date is off by 3 months, but its just a photo copy of the doc's as they said they dont give out certified copies. That was from the new geneology search dept. Well last week I recieved a certified No-Record letter for my GGF and it has his name spelled correctly and his AKA spelled correctly, the only thing is his birthdate is still off by 3 months.

My question is which one should I use? I will be going thru the Detroit consulate.
Also I can not find my GGF and GGM marriage certifiacte, not sure it even exsist. Do I really need it? My GF birth certificate has both my GGF and GGM names on it, would that be enough?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Advice/help

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not call the Detroit Consulate and ask them since each consulate does what they want anyway..=Peter=
~Peter~
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice/help

Post by CowryShells »

I just wanted to clarify that these GGFs are both the same person, is that correct? I would go with the papers that show what really happened. The consulate would need to advise you about the errors and the missing marriage certificate.
I got a certified copy of my GF's naturalization papers from the Mass. state archives for $5.00 by calling them directly. I only have a photocopy of the certificate of citizenship; the archives told me I wouldn't need it at all. I have ordered it from USCIS, but I understand them to be very slow.

Hope you can get some answers, this is quite a process!