From Italy to Venezuela

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Re: From Italy to Venezuela

Post by emiroirausquin »

is there aanyway I can find out the geographical distribution of the Sangiovanni Last name in Italy in the 1800s -Currently I know it is present in more than 300 comunes,etc. But I am trying to narrow it down to the 1800.

Any ideas?

Thanks
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

This is a labor of love and for starters you can go to www.familysearch.org where there are about 28 Sangiovanni surnames in the 1800's and one or two even earlier but after that you will have to research this thru trial and error on as many websites as you come across. Remember that when You are ready to stop thatrs when you have to go forward in your researches because thew answer lay just around the corner. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Emiro:
around 1800/1900 sure Sangiovanni surname was present in this italian commons:
Alvignano, Nola, Piedimonte d'Alife, Nardò, Monteodorisio,Campomarino, Civitacampomarano, Napoli, Caiazzo, Mormanno, Guilmi, Cammarata, Sant'Agata Martesana, Zibido S.Giacomo, Palermo, Poggiomarino, Ottaviano, Rusciano, Larino, Cinnisi, Cesarano, Casteltermini, Pignataro, Monteforte, Caulonia, Monreale, Monteforte Cilento, Cicciano, Casoria, Terzigno, Marsico Nuovo, Roccadaspide, Messina, Trani, , San Gennaro, San Germano, Verbicaro, Capua, Conca Campania, Mezzoiuso, Dragoni, Roma,Capaccio, Montazzoli, Castelmorrone, S.Gregorio, Santa Domenica Talao, Cassano allo Ionio, San Marco Argentano( Sangiovanni Francesco act 43 birth 13.03.1840
Sangiovanni Francesco act 35 birth 16.02.1841 )
..in all this commons are large presence Sangiovanni surname in the past.. The large presence are in Campania, Abruzzo, Molise, Calabria, Lombardia regions...

more someone Sangiovanni emigrated in Republica Dominicana coming from Santa Domenica Talao(calabria)..for my experience of genealogy, I think are many probability that your ancestor coming from Calabria or Campania area..
suanj
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Suanj, Thank you very, very much this information is of great help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The names I that I gave you in the www.familysearch.org are about 28 with the year of birth,marriage ect during the 1800's and with the name of the town of orign in Italy where the evtn tookplace. Since you acknowledged Suanj because she apparently listed the names do you want me to list the names and the towns as well . Are you hvaing propblems in finding the surname sangiovanni that I gave you?? Please advisde because I think the list is the same. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Peter, sorry I did not get back to you on that one before. I was busy truing to locate that info in the link you sent me and have not been successful. The search option requires me to introduce the name and lastname and when I do it, the system gives me info about Francesco Giovanni and not Francesco Sangiovanni.. What am I doing wrong?
Am I searching in the wrong area? I will appreciate your guidance.

Emiro,
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Emiro send me your e-mail pirvately if you wish and I will send you the page with the 28 names. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Census info in Venezuela- (first census was held in 1873 last census in 2001).

THe census info is held at the Instituto Nacional de Estadistica (INE) and is not accessible – at the central government level. It i in the ARCHIVO MUERTO (archives)
The Venezuelan government classifies that info as secret and not public. However, there may be records at the local state offices that may provide access to them. There is no law that regulates access to info and/or delineates what should be considered public info in the country.

Can you believe that?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

When the dust sewttles in venezuela perhaps things will improve administratively. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

Our problems are created by our frame of thinking, Venezuela is enclosed in a paradigm that limits its vision and perspectives for a better future.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I agree with that conclusion. Peter
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

I am back!

No luck with the census info in Venezuela. It is extremely difficult to gain access to.

My sincere apologies to Peter and Suanj. I talked to some relatives and they mentioned that Vicenzo de Lucca Sangiovanni from cosenza was indeed a relative of my great-gandfather Francesco Antonio Sangiovanni (You guys mentioned it very earlier in my search). However, it isn't clear if he was a nephew or a cousin of Francesco, my family says that my grandfather used to say that his family came from Reggio Calabria.

Guys is there anyway I could find out who posted the Vicenzo information on the Family Search ( Church) database? I need to get in contact with that person.

Thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It says on the bottomof the Vincenzo di Luca Sangiovanni that the submitters name may be included in the name of the family researched. Send the FHL people an e-mail and ask them about this. peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Emiro:
ask the "processo para casamento (marriage's process)" of Francesco Antonio Sangiovanni;

in this marriage process sure are info about birthplace; in marriage act normally are not many info...
for you are possible to request this marriage process in Venezuela???
Regards, suanj
emiroirausquin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by emiroirausquin »

I contacted the FHL and they got back to me stating that they cannot give me any information on living people because the privacy laws of the
United States forbid it. - no luck that way-
Suanj I never thought of the marriage process as an option. I don't know if the small towns kept those records. I will find out.

Thank you guys for your help,

Emiro,