Barberis Family @ La Morra, Piedmont

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Oatie

Barberis Family @ La Morra, Piedmont

Post by Oatie »

I am seeking more information about my grandfather's BARBERIS family, from the commune of La Morra, Cuneo, Piedmont.
Grandfather was Francesco Barberis, b. 1881 in La Morra. His father was PIETRO BARBERIS, who was the son of GIOAVANNI BARBERIS, both also of La Morra.
Later Pietro and his wife Luigia moved to Monaco.
I know Pietro's wife was Luigia Ferrero, but I know nothing about the wife of Gioavanni or who his parents were.
Can someone enlighten me please?
Tina
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Barberis Family @ La Morra, Piedmont

Post by ptimber »

Since there does not appear to be any microfilm of the civil records for Morra the only other solution is to request documents working backward from the USA to obtain full names and year of birth and then request birth,marriage or death records from Ufficio di Stato Civile in Morra. If any of your people died after 1963 in the uSA then there might be a socialk security record of their original application which will have vital inforamtion as well as www.ellisisland.org if they entered the uSA thru NYC. Peter
Oatie

Post by Oatie »

Peter, no-one in my family went to USA. As far as I know only grandpa came to London - everyone else went to Monaco.
Are there any Italian census records which I can access to find out more about Pietro and Gioavanni?
Tina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No not census but military records if you have the full name and date of birth and after 75 years the information is released. Let me know if that is what yoiu want to do. Peter
Oatie

Post by Oatie »

The only date of birth I have Peter is that of my grandfather. After he married my grandmother in London in 1904 he did not become a British citizen and therefore at the time of the 1914-18 war he had to leave England and return to Italy to fight in the Italian army.
His date and place of birth is 14/10/1881 (quattordici is 14 isn't it?) in La Morra, Cuneo - Francesco Barberis.
The birth cert. I have here only says " di Pietro fu Gioanni " which I understand means " of Peter, son of Gioanni". The ages of Pietro and Gioanni are not given.
Tina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 7 persons in La morra with the Barberis surname so are for the most part relatives. Go to www.paginebianche.it and ionsert the Barberis surnam,e in the first lin e and La Morra in the third line and then click CERCA ofr the listing of full names,addresses and telephone numbers for each Barberis there. You can then go to http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... tters.html for form letter to potential relatives and send one leter to all 7 with a euro in each self addressed envelope to encourage a reply and ask them about the "family" since they are all your cousins anyway. Next write to the provincial authorities for his army record furnishing (in simple english) his full name and date and place of birth requesting a copy of his conscription records (REGISTRO DI LEVA) which will have all the vital data relating to him and his personal accomplishments as well as his fmaily background. You might also wish to ask for his discahrge papers (medals and wounds?)FOGLIO DI CONGEDO ILLIMITATO. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are also 15 listings for Ferrero in La Morra and you might want to consider the same routing for them as well. i You can also go to the church (which you probably have already and didn't say ) but that would be cvostly since the suggested amount is $15.00 per search (if the good prelate is even willing to do it!!). Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Oatie wrote:Are there any Italian census records which I can access to find out more about Pietro and Gioavanni? Tina
Hi Tina,

Hi There,

The first census of Italy was taken in 1871. Since then, a census has been taken every 10 years.

You will generally find more complete family information in censuses taken from 1911 to the present. The censuses contain the following information:

1871–1901. These censuses are of limited use and are not uniform in content. In most regions, the census named only the head of household, his occupation, and the number of persons in the house.

1911 and later. These censuses list the names, ages, occupations, relationships to the head of the household, and birthplaces of each member of a household.

Use census information with caution, however, since the information may have been given to a census taker by any member of the family or a neighbor. Some information may have been incorrect or deliberately falsified.

Census records up to 1991 are held in the state archive of each province. Census records from 1911 or 1921 to 1991 are also usually found in each comune’s anagrafe (register’s officed). The availability to the public differs from comune to comune.

You can write for the Census, however, I would write to the town itself and request the Birth Act especially if you have an actual date or an approximate date of birth.

Hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Tina you are better off doing what I told you since you will have to go to the town for information in any event. Census information is in the town Ufficio di Anagrafe, (census office). The information is basic and hardly worth your while. Trish is trying hard to give youa lot of extra work. Do what I directed and you will find a trove of information from the military records and your possible relatives. There is no official record to recount your family genealogy other than documents which you have to access and by stories of your family from the people who may be related to you. The only other dopcument you can access is the certificato di famiglia storico for Pietro which is his father and that will give you the information you already have about his son and siblings, if any. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

tHE ADDRESS FOR THE MILITARY RECORD IN CUNEO IS

Archivio di Stato di Cuneo
Archivi miliatre
Via Monte Zovetto 28
12100, Cuneo, Italy at: Elia Vaira Caselli, Director

Sorry for the oversight. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

ptimber wrote: Trish is trying hard to give youa lot of extra work. Do what I directed and you will find a trove of information from the military records and your possible relatives. Peter
Peter,

Once again, I was just trying to prove that you don't always give out the correct information and that there are Italian Census. Maybe if you did your homework more, you would know this type of information.

I also wrote for her to write to the town itself first. However once again, you only saw that I wrote something and you just had to say something nasty to me.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

This forum is dedicated to genealogy not to your folksy nonsense. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Oatie wrote:I am seeking more information about my grandfather's BARBERIS family, from the commune of La Morra, Cuneo, Piedmont.
Tina
Hi Tina,

Here is the address for La Morra.

Comune di LA MORRA
Piazza Municipio 1 - LA MORRA (CN) - Italy
Tel. (+39)017350105 - Fax (+39)0173509389

I also have a form letter you can use to request the documents if you need it.

Hope it helps.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Bruja he already has the information and your being redundant is not helping him and congesting this forum. he is looking for his family not so much thru birth, marriage or death records but something more tangible like family and some accounts of that family. Wake up and smell the roses. Your genealogy 101 serves no one. Peter
Oatie

Post by Oatie »

Peter,
Thanks for the advice and the answers website, which I found.
Tina