Italian birth of Ernest C. Meddings?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hvt105

Italian birth of Ernest C. Meddings?

Post by hvt105 »

Hi, I have been researching my family tree and have hit a bit of an obstacle. My mother thinks that either my great grandfather or my great grandmother was Italian but does not know which. I think it is more likely to be my great grandfather (Ernest C. Meddings) but I am not sure how I find this out. I used the Immigration records on Ancestry.com but didnt find anything. Any help anyone could give would be very much appreciated! :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Italian birth of Ernest C. Meddings?

Post by wldspirit »

Location of this family? Parents name? Spouse, children?
Dates of birth? Providng additional information will help members locate records pertaining to your family.
For instance, I've located the same name in England and USA. But without additional detail, which one is yours.... :)
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
hvt105

Post by hvt105 »

All I know is that he married Marjorie I. Luscombe in Jul, Aug or Sept (not sure which) of 1930 in Islington in the UK. They had a son (Derek Meddings), my grandfather, on the 15th Jan 1931 in London.

I cant currently find out where or when Ernest C. Meddings was born.

Thank you for the help.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi:

Have your ordered the marriage record? Usually the documents will have info about place of birth and name of a father. Info does vary by years.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Sep 1930
Meddings Ernest C Luscombe Islington 1b 632

I realize you say you have hit a brick wall. Have you actually gotten copies of all birth, marriage and death records from your parents back to your grandparents? Church records? Often there will be place of birth listed in some of these records. The place may only be listed as Italy, but then you will know which grandparent was of Italian descent. I did not try and research your names. Just a suggestion on how to proceed. If you have done the above research, please provide a summary of the docs you have. This will help others help you and prevent redoing work you have already done.

Good luck
Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

in 1911 Uk census it are a Ernest Meddings born in 1907; residence: Islington.. I have not the subscription, but by free search , in 1911 the Meddings living in Islington was the members of this family:
Household surname first name sex birthyear age residence county
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS ALBERT M 1903 8 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS ALBERT JOHN M 1875 36 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS AMBROSE M 1897 14 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS ARTHUR M 1910 1 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS BASIL M 1901 10 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS ERNEST M 1907 4 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS GERTRUDE F 1879 32 Islington London
HOUSEHOLD MEDDINGS GERTRUDE F 1905 6 Islington London
Ernest and family was all born in England.... I cannot find in 1911 UK census a Ernest C Meddings..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
hvt105

Post by hvt105 »

Hi there VaDeb, I haven't got copies of the records because I am quite new to this and working on a limited budget. Does it cost a lot to get copies of those records?

Thanks for the research Suanj, my great grandfather isn't any of those Ernests. He got married in Islington, but according to my mother he was born in Italy not in the UK.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
I think it is more likely to be my great grandfather (Ernest C. Meddings) but I am not sure how I find this out.
Meddings is not a italian surname...

regards,
suanj

adding: I believe that the search is right... and Ernest was not of italian heritage...
Name: Ernest Clement Meddings
Birth: Dec 1907 - Hackney, Greater London, London, Middlesex

parents: Meddings Albert John
married at Holden Gertrude in Greater London, London, Middlesex, the Sep 1902 ( 1b 912 )
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi

Genealogy is what you make of it. It is hard to do accurately without ordering certificates. Costs will vary according to where the certs come from. Borrow a book from the library and start reading. Genealogy is best done when you start with yourself and work backwards, one generation at a time. You can skip steps, but you chance missing valuable clues that will make future info make sense. Check what is available for free from your local library - census, ect.

Good luck. It is an addicting hobby.

Debbie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Don't know about the UK, but here in the US there are some counties which give you the option of a certified copy or a "genealogy" copy of a record,
because all my records are stamped in red lettering, "genealogy only", they cost me a mere 5 dollars per record!! :)

VaDeb gave you wonderful advise, many of the libraries, archives, and genealogy societies allow you to research records from microfilm, for free, now they may charge you for printing off a copy, but no more than 50 cents.

For instance, the Mormons have several indexes listed for the town of interest, Islington:

Microfilm

To locate a center near you:

Library locator

and a guideline by member Trish for using this great resource:

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."