GGGF born in 1859

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nfig1
Rookie
Rookie

GGGF born in 1859

Post by nfig1 »

I just want to double-check that by GGGF's birthdate is not an issue.

He was born in the area of what is now La Spezia in Aug 1859. He emigrated from Italy in 1884. It is my understanding - and if someone could provide me the Italian law on this I would be appreciative - that people born/living in what became the nation state of Italy in 1861 automatically became part of the framework, and were "absorbed" as citizens. The 1900 U.S. census says he arrived in 1884. I have no other proof of his arrival year, but feel that a certified copy of the census should suffice.

As I understand it, there would only be a problem if he had left before the formation of Italy in 1861, which according to the census he did not.

Thank you.
mler
Master
Master

Re: GGGF born in 1859

Post by mler »

You are correct, and up until the time he naturalized (if he did naturalize), he would have been an Italian citizen. Actually, it is my understanding that even if he had emigrated before 1861, he would be considered an Italian citizen after the formation of Italy. Any alternative interpretation would have left him stateless.