HELPPPP!! unsure of juri sanguinis/citizenship

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
melly1533

HELPPPP!! unsure of juri sanguinis/citizenship

Post by melly1533 »

I have been using ancestry.com to figure out if I qualify for Italian citizenship and I found in the US Census from 1930 that my great grandfather had not been deemed a naturalized citizen yet and my grandfather was then born the same year. But I then found that he petitioned in around 1927. So where does this leave me? If anybody has gone through this process and could offer some advice please message me! I am wondering if there are also any loopholes to this such as my great uncles were born in italy but my grandfather was not? So does that mean I'm jipped of my rights?
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: HELPPPP!! unsure of juri sanguinis/citizenship

Post by Tamberino »

Petitioning for naturalization and actually being naturalized are 2 different things. However, the US Census is ok as a general guide as to when he was naturalized but I wouldn't count on it. You need to request his naturalization paperwork. Where was he naturalized?
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: HELPPPP!! unsure of juri sanguinis/citizenship

Post by Romano1970 »

Are you speaking of becoming a Dual citizen ( America and Italy)?

Here is a link that should get you started. The italian Consulate in NY is also a place for you to inquire with.

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/

http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.