How do I certify NARA has no records?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
raynor

How do I certify NARA has no records?

Post by raynor »

I'm wondering how I can get a document from NARA stating that they do not have naturalization records for one of my ancestors.

Luckily I live near a regional office, which I just visited. I searched through their microfilm and did not find any record, though the person who helped me said they have no way to state they did not find any record.

The Chicago consulate's website states that I need to conduct a "full search" under the ancestor's name, however NARA's website does not appear to allow this type of search like USCIS's did.

Does anyone have any advice?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: How do I certify NARA has no records?

Post by PeterTimber »

go to www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis and see if they have solution.

I also checked out NARA and if you go to http://www.archives.gov/northeast/nyc/f ... cords.html will give you "NO RECORD CERTIFICATION" for $7.50

This can be found if you go to www.archives.gov and in the search for box put in "NO RECORD OF CITIZENSHIP" and that should bring up a page with the above website address. Click on that website and the next page that comes up is NATURALIZATION RECORDS. Scroll down to where it says NO RECORD FOUND and take it from there. =Peter=
~Peter~
raynor

Post by raynor »

Thanks Peter, I'm looking for something exactly like that. I was about to order, but I realized that's for the New York field office. Unfortunately it appears as if the Chicago office does not provide any such letter. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What did you do?
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

raynor,

My GGGF lived in both Chicago and NYC, so I've done searches with both NARA office's.

NYC office issues a letter, but it states in the letter it can't be certified.

Chicago won't issue a letter. Instead, they give you a paper that's in a sort of checklist form. Who knows if this will work with the consulate, as it doesn't show the name of searched person. Just a list of indexes they looked through with boxes to check next to them.

There's also no signature of anyone who search... it's kind of sloppy, and annoying. I could have easily printed this "letter" from my computer and checked whatever.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

TRY it with the NY letter and tell him thats the only issuing office for this kind of certification. It might work since its the truth!!!!=Peter=
~Peter~
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

Peter, are you suggesting I only give the consulate my 'no record' letter from NARA NYC... and forget about the 'checklist' from Chicago NARA?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

NO include the chicago check-off list as well. Sorry that I overlooked the obvious and should have mentioned it to you. I would, however point out that you are submitting the NY letter to the consulate because the Chicago check off list lacks the information requested by the Consulate. Please keep me informed as to what they do? =Peter=
~Peter~
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

I requested a NEW checklist from the Chicago NARA specifying the name of which they searched, which I received today. So I should be fine with this.

Question. My GGGF came over in 1891...lived in Chicago apx. 7 years before going to NY to stay until 1904...then going back to Italy. I've received a letter/checklist from both Chicago and NYC NARA's as well as a letter from Circuit Court of Cook County in Chicago stating no record was found.

Do you think it's necessary for me to request a search with the local court in NYC considering he left the US in 1904. Doesn't NARA hold all records of naturalization pre-1906? and after 1906 immigrants could naturalize at any court...is this correct?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You really should do a search of the local/county courts. As long as there is any possiblity that he naturalized, the consulates will give you are hard time. It seems that proving a negative is becoming more and more difficult.
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

I was just told on another board I SHOULD search local courts in NYC as well. Do you know how many courts there are to search? I thought NYC only had the Supreme Court and Civil Court...and Chicago would only have Cook County Circuit Court..
?
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

btw..I requested a search in Italy at the Archives for passport, naturalizations etc of my GGF. I think it will be easier to just go through my GGGF at this point though, ignoring the fact my GGF re-naturalized. I feel my proof will be sufficient enough for the consulate, as I will have 4 letters of no records (2 NARA, 2 Court.) Certificate from USCIS. Letter from the comune stating GGGF never lost his citizenship while in US. Certificato di Cittadinanza from comune. On top of the fact that he left the US altogether in 1904 for Italy... he remarried (have marriage record from 1907) and died.

If THIS doesn't work, then I'll pull out the naturalization papers of my GGF in hopes this will give them confidence he was Italian as well.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

or just marry a single wealthy rich and beautiful signorina in Italy and your home free! =Peter=
~Peter~
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

haha... yes...plan C