Looking for Mascio/Mascia/Mashantonio family from Campobosso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
explorer818

Looking for Mascio/Mascia/Mashantonio family from Campobosso

Post by explorer818 »

I am trying to locate any member of my Grandfathers' family or their history. I know that his name was Francesco and came from a large family in Campobosso. He married my Grandmother, Lucia Sebastiano, from Chiete in approximately 1902. They had 2 children in Italy, Louisa (1905) and Antonio (1908). When they immigrated to the U.S. he came first inapproximately 1908 and Lucia arrived in 1909. The older two children were followed by Margaret (1910), Mary (1912), Louis (1914), Dominic (1917), John (1919), and Lena (1922). Going through immigration his surname was changed to Mash. The family migrated to Jeannette, Pennsylvania and still has family there to this day. Grandpa was a twin whose brother immigrated to somewhere in Australia.

My mother, Margaret, told us that most of the family remaining in Italy went into the hills during WWII and were killed. She believed that there were a few survivors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rick
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Mascio/Mascia/Mashantonio family from Campob

Post by PeterTimber »

If your starting out perhaps itmight bebest if you familiarize (not learn) yourself with Italian Genealogy. Go to this website
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html on how to do your own Italian genealogy Research so that you can ask appropriate questions as to what your research objectives are and we can answer you specifically and satisfy your questions.

Once you know the town of origin of your family or any of its members, thenyou can obtain birth,marriage and death records, family records army records etc etc. This you do with form letters in Italian found in this website
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

We are here to assist you at every turn. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Rick,

this is the 1907 arrival manifest for Lucia Sebastiano, travelling with her daughter Luisa Mascia. She stated Civitella as place of birth and last residence in Italy.
Are you sure that Antonio was born in italy?

from Ancestry.com:

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
about Lucia Sebastimo
Name: Lucia Sebastimo
Arrival Date: 3 Jun 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Romanic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Francisco Moura on the manifest Franceso Mascia
Last Residence: Ciordella
Birthplace: Crortello,
Microfilm Roll Number: 108

[img=http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4453 ... rri.th.jpg]

Laura :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

WWII draft registration card:

Name: Frank Mascia
Birth: 15 Feb 1881 - Italy
Residence: Westmoreland, Pennsylvania
wife Lucy Mash in Jeannette, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania

by 1910 census:

1910 United States Federal Census
about Frank Mash
Name: Frank Mash
Age in 1910: 29
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1881
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Lucy
Home in 1910: Hempfield, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1904
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frank Mash 29
Lucy Mash 26
Louise Mash 5
Tony Mash 2
Magaret Mash 11/12

James Mabusa un
Emidia Dechirico un
Tony Deilimo un
Sobia Dafero un
Frank Charazza un

Frank imm. in 1904 (??) and Lucy in 1906...(???)
Mascia is a surname very popular in Campobasso area... also exist DI MASCIA and DI MASCIO versions... as a well exist in Italy also MASCIANTONIO surname...
so for to find the probable relatives in Italy, need of to find the ship's manifest of Francesco, so we can know the exact surname spelling, and the right birthplace.... hoping helpful,
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Possible manifest for Francesco Mascia:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

24 years old, married, farmer, last residence Civitella. He was travelling to 1031 S. 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA, to his brother-in-law Antonio di Lullo.
this is the 1907 arrival manifest for Lucia Sebastiano, travelling with her daughter Luisa Mascia. She stated Civitella as place of birth and last residence in Italy.
Civitella Messer Raimondo is located near Chieti. Di Lullo is a common surname in that comune.
John Armellino
explorer818

Post by explorer818 »

Thank you Suanj and Laura from the bottom of my heart for the help that you have extended to me this day. God Bless all of you. I have traced my fathers genealogy back to France in the 1600's. He immigrated to the U.S. from Canada in the early 1920's. Ironically, we never knew my Dad's family. They were ashamed of him for falling in love with and marrying my mother, an Italian. Myself and all of my siblings were extremely close to my Mom's family and yet this has been the hardest to trace.

Again, thank you all. I can't wait to follow up on this and share it with the rest of my family.

Rick
AnnaDiMascio

Post by AnnaDiMascio »

Looking for "DiMascio", "DeHoratiis" in the Caramanico, Abruzzo Region. Has anyone done research on these families? Looking forward to sharing family history- Grazie! Anna