marriage records in Puglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

marriage records in Puglia

Post by adalea »

My family found a marriage (document) for my great grandmother and great grandfather... however, it doesn't have the information that I am looking for.

I want to find where my g.grandmothers parents were married before they settled in San Ferdinando di Puglia (there are no marriage records there for her parents). How can I go about finding out this information?

I feel stuck because I can't locate any records for them.

-Anna
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: marriage records in Puglia

Post by Tamberino »

the marriage record should have where your g-grandmother is from. If it states San Ferdinando then you would need to request her birth cert and it should have the town where her parents were from.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

No, it doesn't show where her mother was from. It's a "certificato di matrimonio" - see the link: http://annadalea.com/palumbo/documents/ ... Pietro.PDF

So I know there is a difference between marriage certificate and marriage extract... will the extract have the mother's place of birth?

Anna
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

clarification: i think you misunderstood my question.

My g.grandmother was Isabella Palumbo. I have her marriage certificate and her birth record, but neither tell me where Isabella's parents were from... her mother's name was Rosa Recchimuzzi and father Antonio Palumbo.

-Anna
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

You may want to see if there are processetti records for this town at the FHC. if so, Isabella would have had to present her birth certificate and those for her parents and grandparents.........as well as those for the groom's side of the family. If any were deceased prior to her wedding, those will be there too.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

No, there are no processetti records for San Ferdinando di Puglia... plus all of their records at the FHC for that town only go up to 1899, but Isabella was married in 1911.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Dear Anna,
You say you have your great-grandmother's birth record. Is this an extract or is it a copy of the microfilmed record? What town was she born in?
Bette
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

my g.grandmother was born in San Ferdinando di puglia... also married there. The certificate I have is a marriage certificate that was filled in with handwriting... looks like perhaps from an office in italy - not microfilmed or extract. It only gives my g.grandma's info & g.grandpa's info... as well as ONLY the names of each of their parents... but no details of where the g.g.grandparents were married, born etc...

thank you for your follow up.
-Anna
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Marriage certificates don't usually say where the parents of the couple were born or married. You have to follow the trail. See my website for information on how to search Italian records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

I have read a post you made on how to work backwards from a birth certificate. This is a problem. I have tried to work backwards - my g.grandmother (Isabella) was born and married in San Ferd. di Puglia in 1911, however, there were no records of her parents (Antonio and Rosa) being married in San Ferd. I've searched ALL of the LDS records for San Ferd for marriage records. None were for the parents.

Because of this, I assume that they were not married in San Ferdinando di Puglia. Although, even if they were there are no records available for this through the LDS. I have also searched birth records for the parents (Antonio and Rosa) just in case the marriage records had been destroyed or lost. There are no birth records for them either.

This is why I feel stuck. My only glimmer of hope was when I heard that I could possibly get a storico for the family status... that it may give places of birth for the parents... but i'm not really sure how to go about getting that document. I know that it may be expensive and may take an extremely long time to be researched and some of the staff in italy may not want to do it because it takes so long.

Any thoughts?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Try looking for her death record. It will say where she was born and the names of her parents.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adalea
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adalea »

Thanks for the suggestion.. unfortunately San Ferdinando di Puglia records (through LDS records) only go through 1899. But her parents would have died after 1920 at the earliest. So I wouldn't be able to find it that way.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if or when they will film more of the vital records from San Ferdinando di puglia? Preferably through 1920 or so?

There were other Palumbo families in San Ferdinando di Puglia who were either born in Trani or Andria (both towns very close to San Ferdinando di Puglia). Do you think that perhaps one of those towns might have been a birth place for her father Antonio or even a possible marriage location? I was thinking of trying the birth & marriage records from those towns next - but wasn't sure if there was a quicker way to find Isabella's parents information first before doing all that searching. It will take months to get films in.

-Anna
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Anna,

why don't ask to the Comune of San Ferdinando di Puglia a "Copia integrale dell'Atto di Matrimonio"?
it is a Fotocopy or a transcription of the Marriage act and, at least, it says the names of parents of the groom and bride (that you already have), where they were living at the moment of their child's marriage and if they were alive or not (and if they were died it says were they lived)...
Maybe this can help you to determine, at least, were they died...
Just for example, this is an image of my Grandparent's Atto di Matrimonio:

[img=http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9039 ... ini.th.jpg]

Hope this helps...

Laura