An easier translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

An easier translation

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

I was wondering if someone might take a moment to translate this into English for me? My mum had a go at it, but it was a little beyond her

Many thanks

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7964/luigi1.jpg
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: An easier translation

Post by elba »

Veronesi-Guardini wrote:I was wondering if someone might take a moment to translate this into English for me? My mum had a go at it, but it was a little beyond her

Many thanks

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7964/luigi1.jpg
I'll willingly do it for you, but I'll have to fit it in with my other translation work, so it may be a day or so before I post it - if that is OK?

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

There is no rush, I am just interested to see what it is all about :)

Thank you very much for your time
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I made a start on it and it was so interesting I just had to finish it ..... so here you are.
Hope it's OK
elba

Translation:

[align=center]CIVIC MUSEUM RIVA s/GARDA[/align]

PRESS COMMUNICATION ...........................................8 MARCH 1955

Signora Emma Giovinelli, died on the 18th February – she was the widow of Luigi Veronesi Guardini the Garibaldino from Riva.

This fact was of interest to the Directors of the Civic Museum who immediately looked into collecting news of this historic character that the widow would have known about and, in addition to being useful for the historical updating held by the Museum, also to bring to the notice of the public.

Signora Emma was truly an exemplary mother and of distinguished virtue; she lived simply in the shadow so much so that, remaining a widow with four young ones of a tender age, she never took advantage of the privileges that came by right and which would have enabled her to ease the desires of life. She wanted to be alone with the education of her children who believed, in this way, in an atmosphere of modesty and honesty.

Of her husband, Luigi Veronesi Guardini, he was an authentic patriot. At 18 years of age, unbeknown to his family, he ran away from home and enlisted in the ranks of the Garibaldini. He fought bravely in the wars of 1863,1865 and 1866 and he earned promotion to a non commissioned officer.

After several years he became ill with malarial fever. The family, following the payment of a considerable sum, managed to obtain permission from the Austrian Government for him to return to Riva.

Following this he never moved from his Italian principles; and because of this he was watched closely and persecuted by Austria. Nevertheless he continued to make propaganda for the Garibaldini and for Italy; his residence was always adorned with pictures of great Italians, as they are still kept by his children on who he had even given the names of the reigning Italians: Vittorio Umberto Amedeo and Elena.

Signora Emma, became a widow in 1907, but continued to instil into her children the patriotic spirit of her brave companion and always keeping alive the flame of the challenge and sacrifice that was the unique heritage of their parent.

Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

What a fascinating document - It seems he was quite an impressive man and a stout patriot

Oh to have met him...

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate it - Im glad you found it so interesting!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Veronesi-Guardini wrote:What a fascinating document - It seems he was quite an impressive man and a stout patriot

Oh to have met him...

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate it - Im glad you found it so interesting!
Thank you. I've sent you a Private Message...
elba