Di Cenzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AmandaD

Di Cenzo

Post by AmandaD »

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the information. Where did you find it? I actually have a picture of Antonio and his wife Caroline (Lamusaica) and five of there children who were born in the U.S.A. The caption of the picture has Dicensi or Dicenzo being his born name which changed to Dicentes when he came to the states. My husbands great grandfather would be one of Antonio's children. His name was Guy. My in-laws do not know too much about him other then the information that I have. All I know about his wife is she was born on 09/01/1878, in Florence, Italy. They all came to the states to build a mill in Maine.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Di Cenzo

Post by ptimber »

Whedre did you get the Dicensi or Dicenzo from the photograph??? Your much to glib each letter is precious to research. Go to www.google.com and look for La musaica (could be lamusica??) and search out the lamusica surname for a connection. Go to www.nara.gov and then put in immigration and then select order forms for record and order form 81 (all passenger arrivals from 1820 to 1959). This willstart you off. Put in separate forms for each surname. You only pay if its positive. Peter
AmandaD

Post by AmandaD »

I was given a photocopy of this picture and caption from my father-in-law.

The caption reads "Antonio (Dicensi/Dicenzo) Dicentes was born in Rome, Italy on January 4, 1856. He married Caroline Lamusaica, born in Florence, Italy on September 1, 1878. They had two children born in Italy, Guy Sr. (1900) and Mary (1903). Pictured above are five of their children born in the United States: Dominic (1911); Augustine (1914); Bernice (1916); Peter (1918); Laura (1920). Not pictured above is Joseph (1910). Surviving as of April 15, 2001 are Peter and Laura."

This is all I have for information to go on. All I can assume is that they came to the states between 1903 and 1911 based on the birthdates of their children.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

TGhen go to www.ellisisland.org and look up their arrival. Remembet that women never lose their maiden name in Italy so her entry would be undeerr lamusaica and the children would be under the fathers name, usually right undert the mothers name. Peter
AmandaD

Post by AmandaD »

Tried that. I have looked everywhere.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Have you sent in the form 81 on both parents and children. Cmbine the children with Mother but remeber bothchuildren are named after father but mother keeps her maiden name. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Amanda I went to the Rome directory and I tried all the variations of the name and the only one that currently exists today in the Rome province is DE CENSI surname. There are4 in the city of Rome and one in a suburb of Rome. This is not much to go on but I figure where there is smoke there is fire!!! I will keep probing. Peter
AmandaD

Post by AmandaD »

Hi Peter, I happened across a website last night that gave me alittle different info that I had. This said his birthday was 1855 not 56 and he was born in Aversa, Italy. I don't know the regions well and don't know if this is any help. I also did find the parents of Caroline Lamusaica. Getting somewhere, slowly, but surly. Amanda
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thats great!! Aversa is a town in the province of Caserta Campania region (the Naples area) and has a postal number of 81031. Depending on what you want you an either write directly to the Ufficio di Stato Civile for any documents relating to him or you can go to the nearest family history library of the Mormon church and rent out the microfilm of the civil records of births, marriages and deaths as wll as family composition, making copies of records from 1810 to 1900 but bearing in mind they are written in Italian. Please tell me what you want and then I can dirct you accordingly..I am very happy that you have the information you need. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

AmandaD wrote:Hi Peter, I happened across a website last night that gave me alittle different info that I had. This said his birthday was 1855 not 56 and he was born in Aversa, Italy. I don't know the regions well and don't know if this is any help. I also did find the parents of Caroline Lamusaica. Getting somewhere, slowly, but surly. Amanda
Hi: Lamusaica surname is impossible surname, sure misspelled..(exist MUSICA surname in south Italy)
I think Di Censo surname are just ( also exist Di Cenzo in same area)and sure coming from "Anversa degli Abruzzi" town (L'Aquila province-Abruzzo region)..

for all request ...this is email civil status offices

comune_anversa.aq@arc.it

and address:

"Servizi Demografici
Piazza Roma
67030 Anversa degli Abruzzi (AQ)
Italia"
regards, suanj
AmandaD

Post by AmandaD »

Thanks Peter and Suanji, I am going to write a letter to the address that you gave me. Do you think it is wise to send money along with the address? I am looking for as much infomation as I am able to find. Amanda
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are two different towns here. One is the town name your furnished whihch is Aversa inthe province of Caserta and the other is the town that Suanj gave you Anversa degli Abruzzi. Which town is it? Are you sure the answer you got was Aversa whichis in the caserta province ?? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:There are two different towns here. One is the town name your furnished whihch is Aversa inthe province of Caserta and the other is the town that Suanj gave you Anversa degli Abruzzi. Which town is it? Are you sure the answer you got was Aversa whichis in the caserta province ?? Peter
Hi Peter, I've found someone Di Censo person emigrated in USA, just coming from Aversa/misspelled(Anversa) Aguila misspelled(L' Aquila) province.. In Italy in the past the name town was Aversa and changed in ANversa degli Abruzzi, for to distinguish from Aversa in Caserta province.. the latin root of name town are same root, and meaning same thing...
suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Suanj there is a Di Censo in the Caserta province but you are porobably right (as usual). Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Suanj there is a Di Censo in the Caserta province but you are porobably right (as usual). Peter
Hi Peter, on ship's manifest read, are clear wrote AVERSA-Aguila meaning Anversa(called Aversa in the past) L'Aquila.. in fact are added the province for distinguesh from Aversa /Caserta.. Di Censo and Di Cenzo persons emigrated in USA coming from especially from Abruzzo's towns.. and in particular L'Aquila area.. this meaning that surname was very diffused in this zone... I think just Anversa degli Abruzzi..better: hoping just !!
Ciao, suanj