Need help with a dead end

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help with a dead end

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Okay, best way probably to find where and how Paolo entered the US:

Go to the National Archives or USCIS websites and order a copy of the full naturalization file which will include the Declaration of Intent. Decarations from that era should incude details of how (ship, plane, etc) when (exact date), where (city/port), and name of vessel (if by ship).

If you order from USICS, skip the Index Search and go directly to a "Records Request" using the certificate number (see bottom of below image). Put a "C" in front of the seven digit number and enter it where USCIS asks for the "C File" number.

If you order through NARA (probably faster, cheaper, and better copies, by the way), use the information from the images below to complete the order form.

For NARA, To order, go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

Click "Order Reproductions", then "Immigration and Naturalization Records". On the next page, click "Naturalization Records" and on (if this has anything to do with an ultimate citizenship application) on the next page, use the dropdown "Select a Delivery Format" to select "Certified Paper Copy".

For a USCIS order, go to https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/ and select the third option, "Request a specific file by file number in a Record Request without Request Case ID "

The biggest problem with USCIS (putting aside for a moment the fact that their copies usually really, really, suck) is that for the last few years they have been redacting copies - blacking out personal information not directly related to the person named on the document; for example, the birthdates of spouses and children named on the declaration or petition will be blacked out. So far as I know, NARA copies are not redacted.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... onNote.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... nFront.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... onBack.jpg
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is anybody still interested in Clavio into Brazil?? There are 3 CLAVIO listed for entry into Brazil as immigrants, 1895 and 1912 to Sao Paulo brazil???? =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:Is anybody still interested in Clavio into Brazil?? There are 3 CLAVIO listed for entry into Brazil as immigrants, 1895 and 1912 to Sao Paulo brazil???? =Peter=
Paolo Clavio was born in Brazil in 1897 of Italian parents. Do you have any that would fit those parameters?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

thermocaster wrote: Paolo also doesn't appear in the 1920 census for Philadelphia, even though he was there working in the shipyards at the time.
Actually, according to his 1918 draft registration card (a few posts back in this thread), he was then working at the Griswold Worsted Company, a silk and wool thread/yarn manufacturer.
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Salvatore and Luisa arrived 1895 with their 3 daughters from Italy.

Further there is no SOMBARA Brazil.... its SABARA www.tourguidebrazil.com/sabaratour.html =Peter=
~Peter~
thermocaster

Post by thermocaster »

PeterTimber --- that's fascinating...and might make sense. Does it say where they entered Brazil, or where in Italy they were emigrating from? Is this information available on the Web? What were the names of the daughters? Sorry for all the questions, but you really piqued my interest. :)

Johnny - Thanks for the advice on USCIS/NARA. I will follow up on that lead ASAP. I know what you mean about being bothered by not being able to find something! I had found those Naturalization papers (all three) on Footnote.com --- they were really what started my quest. Originally I was seeing if I was eligible for jure sanguinis Italian citizenship, but I'm fairly certain I'm not. That's okay though, because finding Paolo's background is far more important to me.

Pink - Great catch on the Migliaccio address being the same. I saw that listing and missed it totally because the names of the children seemed off. Apparently Saberio changed his name to Samuel? Interesting.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped. The search continues.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

the three daughters are Maria,Anna and Emilia. arriving at Rio de janeiro (port for Sao paulo) 1895 as immigrants. Further information canbe obtained but only worth while effort if this is family. =Peter=
~Peter~
thermocaster

Post by thermocaster »

Peter, I'm not sure if those folks are family or not...so it probably isn't worthwhile effort unless we're sure.

Johnny --- I've placed the order with NARA for Paolo's records, so hopefully those find their way to me soon. I spoke with my Aunt, and may have found some more information, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.

What she said is this: Paolo was indeed born in Brazil, but went back to Italy with his mother and brother when Paolo was about 6 years old (about 1903-04), due to his mother separating from his father. According to my Aunt, they were in a shipwreck of some sort on this journey, though she's not aware of the details.

She also said that Paolo came from an upper class family and was educated in engineering. He came to the US when he was about 12 with two other men. They went from Italy to a northern German port where they got passage. He worked for awhile in Darby PA which may explain why he didn't appear in the census. He also worked in a thread factory at some time. He poured cement for the Navy shipyards. She thinks his brother immigrated to Australia. She also says she never knew anyone from Paolo's side of the family, and maintains that the family name was changed at some point from Claudio to Clavio.

I'm not sure how to reconcile this information with what the records show. I'm kinda baffled.