Soda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonif

Re: Soda

Post by tonif »

Hello
My mothers family was from mangone italy which is in calabria. Her mother name is ciara she had three sisters who left to live in America. Her sisters names were teresa soda, who i believe may have lived in montgomery ohio, angelina soda who married someone by the last name piani and i believe they lived either in Washington state or Chicago and Maria not to sure about her.
Pastor/Soda

Post by Pastor/Soda »

Hi. My great grandma was Rose PAstore who married a Emilio Soda circa 1880. Over in the USA, I have an upline of family in CT with relatives near Chicago and in Ohio. One Was Daniel Soda.
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

A few months ago, I was paging through the Trumbull County Ohio records and saw that an Italian with last name Soda died in Trumbull County and was buried on a farm there. He died about 1900.
Bigpapi

Post by Bigpapi »

Hi, I think I can help I have found a lot of information on the surname Soda, it was my great grandmothers name, (she was Polish) it appears that it is a Germanic surname of ancient origin and it spread to England, France in the middle ages and It looks like it went to Italy too, so most likely the ancestors of your name came from the germanic areas of Europe long time ago. It is a very old name and there is also lots of people with the name and its variant in France as well.
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

My mother said that her Italian grandmothers maiden name was Soda. She also said that she was different from the rest of the Italians that immigrated to Frankfort Ny that she spoke a strange dialect. When I looked into things a bit more I found a group of people called the Arbëreshë who spoke a mix of Albanian and Italian. I've never been able to find out anything about her family other than that. The rumor was that my grandfather was named after her uncle. Rocco Soda. Frankfort Ny has the distinction of being the village in NY with most Italian ancestry. If my great great grandmother really was a soda she (Caroline) married a Brancaccio and ended up becoming a Branck when they anglicized her name.
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

phantasmagoria wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 21:56 My mother said that her Italian grandmothers maiden name was Soda. She also said that she was different from the rest of the Italians that immigrated to Frankfort Ny that she spoke a strange dialect. When I looked into things a bit more I found a group of people called the Arbëreshë who spoke a mix of Albanian and Italian. I've never been able to find out anything about her family other than that. The rumor was that my grandfather was named after her uncle. Rocco Soda. Frankfort Ny has the distinction of being the village in NY with most Italian ancestry. If my great great grandmother really was a soda she (Caroline) married a Brancaccio and ended up becoming a Branck when they anglicized her name.
I've gotten a little bit farther whit my digging. Caroline Soda's parents were Ralph (Rafael) Soda and Lucy Russiano. Her siblings were Theodosia and Rocco. I have concluded that Caroline was in fact Abereshe more than one person from Frankfort Ny has confirmed that
she spoke a strange dialect of Italian.
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

francoalto wrote: 03 Aug 2010, 02:54 With regards to PeterTimbers reply. Do yoiu mean it may not be Italian in origin? I have thought about that. Their doesn't seem to be alot to go around. I did find a coat of arms for the or a Soda Family in England.

this link:

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/q ... -crest.htm

I' m not sure if thw above link is false or not. But I do know as far back as my great grandfather at least it's Italian as far as I know.

I'm wonder if it is not Italian in origin, where do i begin to look?

Thank you again.
My great grandmother was a Soda, she was Italian, but she was a minority that spoke an Albanian Dialect.
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

My family were definitely abereshe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arb%C3%AB ... %AB_people They were born and raised in Italy so the records would still be in italy. Prior to like 1400 you'd have to look in Albania.
I found a census for Lucy Sodas father (Lucy Married Rocco, who was carolines brother.) In that census it says Lucy's(b 1904) father Joseph Russiano (b 1862ish) was born in Italy but spoke Italian. Here's the link from family source. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... f=LY9F-6L4
As far as I can tell Rocco and Caroline Sodas mother was also named Lucy Russiano (Rocco was on a marriage license that listed his parents names), so maybe Rocco married a cousin or second cousin? I haven't found any info on Lucy Russiano's parents (The one I'm directly related to).
phantasmagoria

Post by phantasmagoria »

I can't seem to edit my previous post. In that census I mentioned it said the family was born in Italy, but that their mother tongue was Albanian(The Soda's). Caroline Soda, and George Brancaccio went back to Italy in the 1920's to visit George's mother. I saw the immigration records and it had all the right kids on it. That record said they were visiting MariaAntonia Melfa and it listed each persons relationship to her. (Motherinlaw, grandmother, mother etc) https://www.e-borghi.com/en/village/Cosenza/324/oriolo It also said they went to Cosenza and all of the immigrants from Italy that ended up in Frankfort NY came from Oriolo. George, and James Brancaccio were both cobblers. They both ended up opening Shoe shops in Ilion ny. Today in Ilion there is a Melfi's shoes. There is a chance that the Melfi's in Ilion are related to Maria Antonia Melfa since 2 of her children became cobblers. I'm only mentioning the other names because they are associated by marriage and by records. It also clearly establishes what region of Italy my Sodas, Melfas and Brancaccios are from.