Joni wrote: 22 Sep 2004, 04:17
This is the first post I am attempting. If your family is from Piana dei Greci in the Palermo province, it is now called Piana degli Albanesi. I have been there several times and it is a wonderful comune, I have a great deal of information on the families that came from there, many came to New Orleans, some to Wisconsin and to California, there is a large group of us in Sacramento California who are researching the entire comune and may be able to help you.... Perhaps your family left from a port in Naples but were actually from Piana, that is not too uncommon.
I know this is a long shot as this is a very old post at this point, but..... My family, last name Shiro, came from here as well and immigrated to New Orleans. I would LOVE more information if you had it!
November 2nd is All Souls' Day,a Catholic feast dedicated to the memorial of the dead which, according to tradition, can be dated back to ancient times. This day, in almost every country, the dead are remembered with different rituals and customs, yet the aim is just one: give some consolation to th...