Looking for information on the family of John Todaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Re: Looking for information on the family of John Todaro

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you very much for posting the WWI card for John Todaro, and for showing me the Ellis Island document for that other one. It's too bad that isn't the right one. There was another Triolo on that page. Possibly a sister of Rosa Triolo? I guess that doesn't matter to my research, unless I find other connections later.
According to Ancestry hints, there is supposed to be a 1930 US Census and WWII card for Tony Todaro, who was born on June 14, 1895 in Spadafora. I wonder if he was living with his wife, Pauline. Also, there was supposed to be a WWII card for Alfred Todaro, who was born in December 1916 in New York. Would it be possible to please post these documents, if you see them?
As far as the father, John Todaro's second marriage goes, I think the 1930 one mentioned above in your post might be the one. On the site you went on, was it possible to use that to order the documents, or contact someone about it? Do you think someone there would be able to look at it and say who the wife was? If I can be sure that's the right John Todaro, then his grandson, whom I'm in touch with, might very well be interested in ordering the actual document. I would have to ask about it.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

siskojnash, as I already said
-the right ship's manifest is of Rosa Todaro (nee Giunta) with children Antonio( aka Tony) and Giovanni ( aka John jr) Todaro; they coming from Spadafora and joining at Giovanni Todaro( aka John sr) in New York.

-The WWI draft registration card of Tony Todaro ( born on 14 Jun 1895, Spadafora, IT)
-ditto for John Todaro jr born on 21 Jan 1899 in Spadafora..

The other John Todaro also born in 1899 and also living in Manhattan in 1918
is not your John jr, because he was the son of Francesco Todaro and Rosa Todaro nee Triolo... I explained abt that so no confusing abt the birthdate of your John..
the Triolo family no interest because is no related at your ancestors...
the your surname's family are: Todaro and Giunta.

Abt Antonio Todaro( Tony) and Pauline:
1930 United States Federal Census
about Antony Todaro
Name: Antony Todaro
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Pauline Todaro
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antony Todaro 34
Pauline Todaro 33
Rose Todaro 7
John Todaro 6
Ignatius Todaro 1 1/12
Antony Todaro 2/12

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/1930todaro.jpg/

abt Alfred Todaro:
U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
about Alfred Todaro
Name: Alfred Todaro
Birth Year: 1916
Race: White, Citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: New York
State of Residence: New York
County or City: Bronx

Enlistment Date: 8 Jul 1943
Enlistment State: New York
Enlistment City: New York City
Branch: No branch assignment
Branch Code: No branch assignment
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: 3 years of high school
Civil Occupation: General industry clerks
Marital Status: Married
Height: 49
Weight: 933

no image available...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you very much for posting these documents. I know Rosa Triolo isn't related at all. I just meant to remark that it would have been nice if it had been related since there was another Triolo on the document also. I don't have any clues about Rosa Giunta's family at all.
I noticed on the 1930 census for Tony Todaro that there were people with the last names of Esposito and Costa. Both of those names are in my fiancee's tree. I'll have to check and see if anyone matches up or not. So far at least, I'm trying to follow all leads on the tree, even side families. So anything connected to the tree is interesting to me.
At the new year, there were less than 1,000 people in the tree. Now, if I catch it all up, there will be about 3,500. It's pretty amazing to see it growing that way.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I ended up doing a search on Ancestry.com's world tree and came across Giovanni Todaro's information in a research project someone has been doing about Spadafora and a few other towns. I was able to discover that Giovanni Todaro and Rose Guinta had a child who died very young.
I also found the previous generation of the family, although that was as far as the Todaro's went. The Guinta's were a very different story, however. I ended up seeing info about that family back into the 1700s, and links through marriage to probably over 1000 people, nearly all from Spadafora.
The person doing the research is taking trips to her family history center and getting info from the microfilms there. I never expected to find so much information. I was just hoping for one or two names, not 1,000 or possibly more. I just thought I should post this information in case someone is looking for people from Spadafora.