Documentation Requirements for Ancestor with Name Change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Documentation Requirements for Ancestor with Name Change

Post by jennabet »

Also, you might be interested to know that I live in Italy and I see the name Svelto every day. It's a very popular dishwashing liquid sold everywhere and I prefer it over the other brands and have been using it for ten years. I don't know much about the origin of the product but you might want to do some research in this regard as Sveltos is very close to Svelto. The name Svelto will definitely ring a bell to consulate officials.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Eric. The original naturalization certificate will be fine but you may want to obtain the NARA documents as well. These can be certified by NARA, and you will find that they contain more information than the actual certificate. If you present an original certificate, they will return it to you and will keep a copy. You seem good to go.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

I have the manifest of Pasquale Svelto. In it he lists his nearest living relative in Italy as his aunt with the same surname as his supposed mother (D'Avolio). It may not be slam dunk evidence but I would certainly assume it acts as supporting evidence along with other items.

Really, I'm interested to know what specific documents I may need IN ADDITION TO the typical documents in applying for Italian Citizenship with regard to a name change. I would assume since Pasquale Svelto is recognized as Italian, it's not his parents that are the issue but the name change. Are there any further documents beyond birth cert, manifest, naturalization (which shows name change), that I should look into?

Thanks
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

You need Pasquale's birth certificate from Italy which lists the name of his parents or some notes on the document explaining why the parents names are not there. You also need the birth certificate of the woman he says is his mother (the wife of D'Errico) and you need the marriage certificate of the D'Errico's.
dalsanto3

Post by dalsanto3 »

I'm so curious what happened here. I'm doing some preliminary research for my own Italian citizenship application and there are multiple threads where someone asks a question, there are interesting responses, and presumably because they're several years old we have some sort of answer.

I wonder if the naturalization certificate was enough or if the consulate required additional information from the original poster.
ericderrico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericderrico »

Hi dalsanto3,

I am actually still in process of going through all the documentation process. Honestly it's been an on and off project for me, mostly due to hickups along the way. While I haven't officially gone through the citizenship meeting yet to confirm, from my understanding I should be okay as on the back of the naturalization certification the clerk of court has attested to the name change.

My current hickup is my Grandfather's first name was anglicized on my father's birth cert from Pasquale to Patrick and the state of New Jersey is refusing to acknowledge they are the same person. A real headache at the moment.

I'll try providing a formal update once I am finally through the whole process. Part of it is this long ago I forget I even wrote these questions!
Researching surnames: D'Errico, Bellotti (and other spellings), D'Avolio, Calvano, Marano