Dual Citizenship via mother>>>grandmother>>&g

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Dual Citizenship via mother>>>grandmother>&g

Post by wldspirit »

I am three fourths Italian, and fully entitled to dual citizenship....
but I am not pursuing it.......
how can you be a citizen of two nations, where will your loyalty lay? No....with citizenship comes responsibility to one's country........how can you be invested in Italy's best interest if you are not there living life day to day...
if ever I do pursue my citizenship, then I would renounce my American citizenship and immerse myself into being an Italian citizen.
But that is just my opinion and everyone has their reasons........
but I do wonder if the sudden increase is due to Bush policies........
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

mler wrote: My children are both grown and and are successful professionals in the U.S. Our lives are here, and probably always will be. But for my children, too, Italian citizenship expands the options and the possibilities. Who knows what tomorrow may bring for my children, my children's children . . .
This is why I want it. My kids are getting toward that college/university stage...would love for them to have different options available to them. My dad's family already has a house in Italy so it would be a matter of benifits and other opportunties...

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

wldspirit wrote:I am three fourths Italian, and fully entitled to dual citizenship....
but I am not pursuing it.......
how can you be a citizen of two nations, where will your loyalty lay? No....with citizenship comes responsibility to one's country........how can you be invested in Italy's best interest if you are not there living life day to day...
if ever I do pursue my citizenship, then I would renounce my American citizenship and immerse myself into being an Italian citizen.
But that is just my opinion and everyone has their reasons........
but I do wonder if the sudden increase is due to Bush policies........
wldspirit
Lisa,

Have you heard Neil Youngs new cd against Bush and his policies? What do you think? Pretty powferful and strong statements from him judging by the lyrics

Nuccia :wink:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

No.....hadn't heard......but been on a country kick lately......Trace Adkins is so fine....... :lol: .......

will have to check it out.......my motto is,

"I love my country......but I fear my goverment"

Lisa
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Lisa,

When you say "I love my country, but I fear my government," I think you echo the sentiments of people throughout the world. Governments are run by politicians who generally appear more concerned about reelection than in doing what is right for the country.

You make a good point about the difficulties associated with dual citizenship, and this is an issue I've discussed with several of my Italian friends. I think the "divided loyalties" issue is the reason the U.S. permits dual citizenship but does not encourage it. If the interests of the U.S. and Italy do not coincide, where does the dual citizen stand? Fortunately, today there are few issues that separate the two countries, but should their interests diverge, the dual citizen would ethically be forced to make a choice.

I would have no difficulty making such a choice because I will always be an American first. For this reason, I would never vote in an Italian election unless I actually resided in Italy, a minor concession to be sure, but one that relieves any guilt associated with my primary commitment to the U.S.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Good for you....if I were a native Italian, I would be concerned about persons abroad voting..........after all, they don't really have to live with the consequences of their vote. But the Italian people who live and breath Italy do...........

and I to love being an American........but we live in a sad state of affairs in these days and I only see it getting worse.

DeLisa
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

checked out all the Neil Young songs on his new cd...........every single one of them has a point.......let Bush put that in his peace pipe and smoke it.......
wldspirit
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Lisa,

You're absolutely right. One of my dear friends told me that foreign voters actually determined the outcome of the last election in Italy and this was upsetting to her. Quite frankly, I think Italy should not permit dual citizens to vote unless they actually reside in the country. The problem is that both the U.S. and Italy, while permitting a second citizenship, do not really acknowledge it. So each country considers you its citizen and ignores other citizenships you may hold.

Regarding this country and the direction in which it is headed--smile. We've been down unhappy paths before and always seem to manage to find our way back. I've no doubt we will again.