immigrant pictures

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: immigrant pictures

Post by wldspirit »

What a fantastic idea........a lesson in history, culture and genealogy all rolled into one......your child must have a very special teacher!!!!
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Ally,

My daughter, Jennifer,(who is nine and helped me a bit on the forum last night) did her genealogy project in school last November. That's how I got so involved with this forum! But, never did she or anyone I know get sooooo detailed. I think this is an awesome project and hope that you will find the time to share the experience with us. 8) It will be interetng to see how the children react to this type of role playing.

I realized last night that having Jen sit with me and explaining to her what I was doing was the best thing I could have done. She got totally into it! At first I think she "thought it was so cool to post" but after a while she was offering suggestions and looking over the websites. I was so impressed!!

This of course has started us on a new geneaolgy project involving timelines and scrap books...At this rate I'll never get to clean my house again!!!! :lol: :lol:

Can't wait for your follow up posts!!!!

Nuccia :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

With my youngest son... I thought I would do things a little differently than what I did for the other 2... like starting out with...

"Once upon a time... there was this man who kissed his wife and his 3 year son old goodbye... and headed out to America... not knowing that he would never see them again".... and so on...

I did capture my son's attention.... and at the end of the story I told him... this man was real... he was your Great great grandfather....

I had the pleasure of meeting Nuccia and her daughter for lunch! I tell you... this young lady made my son (also age 9) giggle... and a few times I watched his eyes widen and smile at the same time....

What Nuccia hasn't mentioned is that her daughter is truly gifted... outspoken, logical, brilliant... and absolutely funny!! I have never met a 9 year old girl like Jen!! Bling-blings and all! :P

Our children can grasp family history at a young age... and I wished the schools would also incorporate this more into their school work...

As old fashioned as this may sound... I strongly believe that naming your children after family is probably one of the greatest gifts you could give your child... even a common name like "Maria" (which I used to think was boring) ... existed in my family many generations back... am I proud now? You bet!!

I remained somewhat speechless after seeing the photos.... no need for words or captions...

There's a close up photo of one man who makes you wonder what's going through his mind.... who he is missing back home?... whether he's made the right decision to immigrate..., how emotionally exhausting all this is...

and this one... got my attention....

http://www.controappunto.org/Le%20navi% ... ambino.htm

Maria

P.S. Ally, I also envy you and your son... I think I should send a link of this post to my son's teacher... since she is also Italian... and may find this very interesting!! (and fun too)....
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Ally, a little contribute! :wink: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

I will post after we have our special day. The entire 2nd grade is doing this project. Family info, then trees, dolls, question sheet etc.

I am so glad I got alot farther in my family tree to add more people on. Also finding lost relatives who sent us photos from Italy.

Maria, naming after ancestors is a good idea, but sometimes confusing when doing a family tree. My mom's side, siblings- are all named after my grandfathers siblings and so on. How confusing! :? I am named after a g-g-g aunt but didn't name my daughter the same. I felt growing up it was annoying. Everytime my dad would call out my name my mom and I would answer "Which one?". My brother is also named after my gg grandfather and father etc. Except we call him Tony instead.

As for nuccia's daughter it is wonderful that in this time parents can find the time to spend with their children. I see so many parents shuffling their kids off to camp, afterschool care, activities etc. Never time to spend as a family. I think that some kids are over stimulated, but that is my opinion.
Everyone has their own thing.

I think most schools in my area do this project. In my old neighborhood they did not do this at all. I kinda enjoy it! Some quality time :D .

Thanks for sharing your ways of doing things together. It was most enjoyable to read. Keep you posted!!

Alice
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

Maria, thank you so much for your beautiful words! We're all proud of our children and in an age where we hear so many negative things about the younger generation, it's so awesome to hear something positive. Makes us feel like we're doing our job as parents.

Growing up in a very strict Italian family (like I'm sure many of us did), it was difficult to understand why our parents acted the way they did. Curfews, punishments and very strong beliefs were instilled in us. I never understood it, or appreciated it until I visited Italy with my dad when I was 23. It was only then that I was old enough to understand where he came from. My grandfather had turned 93 that month and as we sat around and drank wine and ate fava beans (never a favourite of mine) I was able to question Nonno about what my dad was like when he was growing up. He showed me things, like the medals he had gotten in the war and the underground shelter they would hide in during the war. Nonna would make bread, sometimes in such a rush that she would forget to add salt to it and they would all huddle and talk. During our visit I noticed Dad go down to that shelter several times. I asked him why figuring it would hold bad memories and he said it was quite the opposite. It reminded him of a time when they were all together, a family sharing the most difficult times they thought they would ever know. I saw my Dad in such a different light for those 3 weeks. This tough strict man was almost a kid as he joked with his sisters and brothers and teased his father..all the while reminiscing. And I saw him cry...not sobs, but tears every now and then when he looked at something and talked about a certain event. I was so surprised.

Shortly after that visit, Nonno passed away. Two of Dad's brothers followed 2 years later. It was the last time the family would be together and I've remembered it everyday of my life for the last 17 years. I give anything to go back for one more day...

Ally, you better believe being named after family members can be trying. We don't appreciate our names growing up and were often made fun off because the names were "strange" by American standards. So, I changed my name to avoid this. I took an American name and no more jokes. After visiting Italy though and understanding the tradition of the naming process, I began to use my real name again. It's funny, the things that embarrass us as children, make us proud when we're older.

Of course, I am also going crazy trying to figure out my family tree because of this. But, that's what makes it so much fun. And, the fact that my parents came to the US and Canada to make a better life for us is the same reason I try to spend so much time with my children. Knowledge is power, and you can go back and change things once they are done so lets make memories today for our children will remember them tomorrow when we're gone. Just like my Dad does, and just like I do, now.

Feeling a bit sentimental today, sorry! :oops:
Nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Dear Maria,

Thank you. I liked meeting you and Nicholas, too. It was so much fun. Especially when we went to the pet store and watched all the animals. 8) You and Mommy made me laugh when you talked Italian. I hope we can do it again :!:

Mommy and me going shopping all the time and go out to lunch. Its alot of fun and then we go to get our nails and hair done sometimes. She says its always fun to spend Daddy's money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you wear green today :?: Remember you will get pinched if you don't because its ST PATRICKS DAY.

ByeBye
Jennifer (Nuccias daughter) :D
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Nuccia, it is funny the way your wrote strict family rules. My father was a strict man. Actually all of my friends were petrified of my dad. One look and they would scatter into the wind. I saw it as a normal look of "You know what and what not to be doing or else look". And all the racing home to be home by curfew - our neighbors all knew the time. They heard us, (my sis and me) running down the hill to be home "on the nose". Or else!! Girls did not belong out after a certain hour, otherwise they are up to no good!

I also heard stories of my dad's parents. I took to writing these down in a journal for my kids after my parents are gone, there won't be anymore stories to hear!

I look back, like you, and it wasn't all that bad. As my pops says, It made you the wonderful person you are today!

Thank god for strict parents. :D My daughter hands me the same lines I used, she is 11. And all I can tell her is, you'll understand when your older and thank me for it.

Your daughter wrote a lovely note to Maria. She sounds wonderful!!! I am so glad to hear you two do lots of "girl things" together. Pretty soon, they will be going out and not want to hang with us moms anymore. I so enjoy those little hair/nail and chats.

Everyone have a great weekend!!!! :)

Ally
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

You guys are making me cry!
First, Suanj's pictures - wow! When I looked up the census for my great-grandparents first home in America - along with their five children - I was surprised to see just how many people lived in that tenement on Elizabeth Street in NYC. Now that I've seen those pictures - I know why. That could have been my family! Here come the tears! How I appreciate what they did for us!
Thank you Suanj - you always make us think and you are a dear.
Speaking of families, how would you like to grow up with a name like Nunsiata?! I went to a school that was predominantly Italian but no one had that name! I hated being different when I was a kid - but now I love it. Here's to tradition! And to women everywhere!

N
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

nuccia wrote:Dear Maria,

Thank you. I liked meeting you and Nicholas, too. It was so much fun. Especially when we went to the pet store and watched all the animals. 8) You and Mommy made me laugh when you talked Italian. I hope we can do it again :!:

Mommy and me going shopping all the time and go out to lunch. Its alot of fun and then we go to get our nails and hair done sometimes. She says its always fun to spend Daddy's money :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you wear green today :?: Remember you will get pinched if you don't because its ST PATRICKS DAY.

ByeBye
Jennifer (Nuccias daughter) :D
Hi Jennifer,

I really enjoyed the time we spent with you and your Mom. I also enjoyed listening to the restaurant staff sing Happy Birthday to you and Nicholas. That was fun. Time went by too fast though.

Jennifer, always stay close to your Mom... I can tell that the 2 of you are best friends! When you are feeling better, we can go to the Mandarine (all you can eat buffet) and eat dessert first and then the other stuff. There are no rules to follow here... and no one throws you out even after eating for 2 hours...

No... I didn't wear green clothes today... they were all wrinkled. :? I did tie my hair with a green rubber band though... just had another bad hair day... :oops:

Today I read a little bit about St. Patrick. I read that he was born in Wales from a wealthy family. At the age of 16 he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland. At one point he returned home and decided to become a priest. He then went back to Ireland to spread the word the Lord.

I still have the piece of paper where you wrote your phone numbers in crayon. :P

I will be calling you soon. Thank you for your lovely message Jennifer. A big "high 5" to you!

Maria :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Nunsiata wrote:You guys are making me cry!
First, Suanj's pictures - wow! When I looked up the census for my great-grandparents first home in America - along with their five children - I was surprised to see just how many people lived in that tenement on Elizabeth Street in NYC. Now that I've seen those pictures - I know why. That could have been my family! Here come the tears! How I appreciate what they did for us!
Thank you Suanj - you always make us think and you are a dear.
Speaking of families, how would you like to grow up with a name like Nunsiata?! I went to a school that was predominantly Italian but no one had that name! I hated being different when I was a kid - but now I love it. Here's to tradition! And to women everywhere!

N
Not only were homes crowded back then... but even when my Dad bought his first house in the mid 1960's... every other room was a bedroom for either an aunt's family and just about everyone else who decided to come over from Italy. I always sat next to my left handed uncle at dinner time... and we were forever smashing elbows and spilling drinks... times were tough... but we managed....

I too dodged many kitchen utensils and appliances... Mom was quite the domesticated sharp shooter and aiming for distance was her specialty. I now own Mom's aluminum long handled ladle with a dent...(can anyone recall that distinctive "clunk" sound it makes?) something my kids laugh at... man they have it easy!

Maria
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

I have my mom's wooden spoon with the side splintered off. Guess who she broke that on? And yes - I remember that sound!

N
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nunsiata wrote: Speaking of families, how would you like to grow up with a name like Nunsiata?! I went to a school that was predominantly Italian but no one had that name! I hated being different when I was a kid - but now I love it. Here's to tradition! And to women everywhere!

N
I think your name is beautiful and don't feel otherwise. Those days are gone! I grew up with Erminia...hows that for a name. Being caled Irma, Emma,Mini, and what ever your name is wasn't much fun!

As for the wooden spoon, I have one too that my mom gave me and it's also "Chipped". A memory of growing up and I show it to the kids all the time when they do something wrong. Then we all laugh because I'd never be able to use it on them. I much rather throw a slipper and see how fast they can run! I tell them about the only time I ever met my paternal grandmother and how I embarrassed her in the streets of Italy. She yelled "Fioco Mio" and threw a slipper at me. I ran like hell!!!! I was terrified but thankfully she missed. Dad laughed his head off saying that she did it to him all the time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else ever get the slipper thrown at them?

Nuccia :D
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Everyone,

I have to throw my two cents in here too.:)

To Suanj,
GREAT PICTURES!!!!! These pictures remind me of the watching the DVD on Ellis Island that the History Channel put out. That movie made you cry and well as sent chills down your spine just thinking about what our ancestors went through to come to America.

I can even tell a horror story of my own great-grandmother, Emma. Emma was 6 years old when she came to the USA with her mother and 4 of her siblings. The people at Ellis Island stated she was blind from the physical they gave her. They sent her back by herself for they threatened her mother that they would deport her and the other 4 children back if her mother wanted to go with Emma. Not willing to risk this, Dora stayed here with the children while 6 year old Emma went back to Italy herself.

The crazy thing about it all was all Emma needed was glasses. And the people at Ellis Island made it a living hell for her and her family. Can you picture traveling on a ship yourself and then hoping when you get back that there is someone there waiting for you. It still gives me chills just knowing what my great-grandmother went through. So Suanj, thank you again for sharing the pictures and letting others realize what our ancestors endured just to come to the USA.

Now to Maria (MfJP) and Nuccia,
I'm jealous!!!! I wanted to come to the party!!!!!! However, I'm glad you two met and I'm so happy you both had a great time!!!!!!:):):)

And to Ally,
I think it's great what your child's school is doing!!! I do agree that more schools should get involved with genealogy!!! It's fun, it's learning, it's history!!!!!!

Also we did something like this at the FHC. We had a "know your roots night" as a way to start teaching younger people how to start their genealogy. We also did it for the Boy Scouts so that they could earn their merit badges.

We created a passenger list that had to be signed when the person came with their name (maiden name for women), town of origin, what State they were going, etc. It was fun way to start and everyone had to have a mock passport. Kids are very creative when it came to the passports. It was overall a fun night of learning. It's fun hearing how other's are learning about genealogy.

Well I think I threw in more than two cents, but just had to say hi and share a few things.

Remember, Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Trish and all members of italiangenealogy, here other pictures from italian foundation and here, and again, ditto, also
other pictures .. but what I wish say is that the italian emigration was something of terrifying.. and every time that I read a ship's manifest I feel the pain of this people... for this I'm happy, when the italian descendants re-establish contacts with their relatives in Italy... it is a phrase that it could be right for all emigrant people of all world, it is of a lithuanian woman and it say so:

Julia Goniprow, emigrata negli Stati Uniti dalla Lituania nel 1899, sintetizza l’esperienza di moltissimi, anche in Italia: Il giorno in cui sono partita mia madre mi ha accompagnato alla stazione ferroviaria. Quando l’ho salutata mi ha detto che per lei era come veder chiudere la mia bara. Non l’ho mai più vista.

The day I left,my mother brought me to the railway station. When I have greeted her she told me that, for her,was like to see closing my coffin.I have never seen her again.

Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH