Finding commune of S. Martino

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Finding commune of S. Martino

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 15:49
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 23:25 .....
Birth No 106 Pietro Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 26 May 1893
Giovanni Sartore, 44 yo, villico, living this town, reported that at 10.04 pm on 23 of the current month, in the house in Via Supervilla (now via Roma), No 54, from Maria Andretta, a villica, his wife, living with him, was born a baby boy who presented and gave the name Pietro.
Side Note: On 26 March 1920 he celebrated marriage with Adele Favero in the town of Castello di Godego

Angela

@mmogno

Castello di Godego! I see it clearly now, but I didn't come close when I was trying to decipher the script to establish the name of the town. Thank you - for both.

Angela
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Angela and mmogno, thank you as always. All new siblings that our family did not have info on.

I was using the military archive site of Padova that M. had used originally to find Frank and Antonio earlier in the thread... to see if I could narrow down possibly their father Giovanni and who his parents were based on the children info. Wanted another set of eyes / thoughts, the first entry to me would seem to line up to the age that Giovanni is listing in the children's birth, most are off by a year from an 1847 birth, but if the military archives are accurate he had all the children before his birthday.

Thanks!
D.
Attachments
Sartore.png
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

deigo1 wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:37 Angela and mmogno, thank you as always. All new siblings that our family did not have info on.

I was using the military archive site of Padova that M. had used originally to find Frank and Antonio earlier in the thread... to see if I could narrow down possibly their father Giovanni and who his parents were based on the children info. Wanted another set of eyes / thoughts, the first entry to me would seem to line up to the age that Giovanni is listing in the children's birth, most are off by a year from an 1847 birth, but if the military archives are accurate he had all the children before his birthday.

Thanks!
D.

I spent some time on this both today and yesterday, looking through various records, trees etc. I can confirm that the Giovanni Sartore born 13 October 1887 is not the one you are looking for. He married Appollonia Nichele in 1876 and they were still having babies in 1886.

Giovanni Vicenzo Satore, 28, son of Prosdocimo Sartore and Maddalena Marin m. Appollonia Nichele 1876: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946877

1886 Birth No 2844 of a child Ciro Sartore: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946877

Giovanni Angelo Sartore, son of Paolo, born 11 October 1851, married in 1874.

Giovanni Angelo Sartore, di Paolo and Margherita Tessarolo m. Domenica Taniato. in 1874:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946877

What I suggest you do, working backwards from 1885, is look to see whether there is a death record for his wife Domenica Taniata/Toniata? I began checking but have run out of time. I also worked backwards from 1885 for a couple of years or so to see when their last child may have been born but didn’t see anything, so it is possibile that Domenica may have died, or they just stopped having children.

Yesterday I checked the marriage pubblications in the town of Cittadella, working backwards from 1885 looking for a marriage record for Giovanni and Maria Andretta, but didn’t see anything. (While the marriage generally takes place in the bride’s birthtown, the pubblications are generally posted in both the bride and the groom’s birth town.) It would be so helpful to find their marriage record/s because from them you can then be sure who his parents are.

All for now.

Angela
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Thanks Angela!

I went through the death indexes in Cittadella there was a ten year index of 1871 to 1881, and then the years to 1885, but I could not find that Domenica. I also looked through similar for San Martino for the same wondering if perhaps they moved there prior, but nothing that I could find there either.

I was trying to think of a way to find where Maria might have been a native of... unfortunately I'm not sure where their son Francesco (Frank - my great grandfather) was married. His birth record doesn't show the notation like the other siblings in San Martino, so I'm assuming he wasn't married there. When we started this thread we thought perhaps from the one ellis island notation he might have been from Trevignano like my great-grandmother. That commune came back and said "Following your request received by our offices, we inform you that, having carried out the searches in the personal and marital registers of our Municipality, NO Sartore Francesco appears to have been born or to have been resident in our municipality and that the surname Sartore is not a native of this Municipality." So that doesn't appear like the were married there either.

I looked back through their (Frank And Carolina Vanzo) early children (my grandma was the youngest) .Their first daughter was born in January of 1909 in Nova Scotia ( I have this birth certificate), so thinking they would have been married in 1907 or 1908. The third child Emil Sartore, lists that he was born in March of 1912 in Venice, Italy on his draft card. After that all the other children were US born. Unless I was missing it I couldn't find much around Venice online.

The commune still hasn't responded at all to my original request, but if I could get Antonio's (2nd born) marriage certificate would it show where Giovanni and Maria were a native of?

I was also going to do some more research on the Andretta name in the military database to see if there is a common town that surname originates from.

Thanks!
D.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Giovanni's father's name was Bortolo Sartore, according to the following 1872 Birth Record I've located. Giovanni and Maria Andretta were married prior to 1872 (much earlier than 1885, which I had wondered about, because of his age when he had Francesco ... so decided to look further back, in case you hadn't!!!)

1872 Birth No 157: Amalia Rosa di Giovanni e Maria Andretta
Registered in San Martino di Lupari on Sunday, 8 Septemer 1872
Appearing was Giovanni Sartore, son of Bortolo, 24 yo, villico, living in the town. He presented a baby girl who he reported was born at 10 am on Saturday, 7 September 1882 in his house in Via Supervilla No 103, from his wife Maria Andretta, a villica, living with him. Baby was given the name Amalia Rosa.

I've located two more children born to Giovanni and Maria after Amalia which I'll post shortly. I just want to check that there were no others born before her. I'll take a closer look at your last post here later.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Following on from my previous post:

1878 Birth Bortolo Domenico Sartore
Registered 1 September 1878, San Martino di Lupari
Born 31 August 1878, 2.20 am from Giovanni Santore, 30 yo living Campagnalta, no number, and from Maria Andretta, both tenant farmers.
(Campagnalta would’ve been a little hamlet near San Martino di Lupari)

Side Note: Marries 1 December 1900 Maria-Luigia Marangoni in the town San Martino di Lupari

Marriage is here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946877

1877 Birth No 142: Domenico Giovanni Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 8 August 1877
Born 7 August 1877, 3.10 pm, Via Supervilla, No 103, from Giovanni Sartore, 28 yo and Maria Andretta, his wife, living with him, both tenant farmers.

1876 Birth No 78: Bortolo Domenico Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari, 24 August 1876
Born 20 August 1876, 6.30 pm, Via Supervilla, No 103
Parents were Giovanni Sartore, 27 yo, and Maria Andretta, his wife, living with him, both tenant farmers.

1875 Birth No 158: Italia Regina Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari 18 July 1875
Born 17 July 1875, 12.04, Via Supervilla, No 103
Parents Giovanni Sartore, 26 yo, and Maria Andretta, his wife, living with him, both tenant farmers

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Following on... These were two that I had previously found:

1880 Birth No 170 – Giuseppe Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari on 24 October 1870
Born 20 October 1870, 9.07 pm Via Campagnalta, no number
Father: Giovanni Sartore, 31 yo, tenant farmer, living in the town
Mother: Maria Andretta, tenant farmer, his wife living with him.

1882 Birth No 180 - Luigia Sartore
Registered 9-10-1882, S.Martino di Lupari
Born 6-10-1882, 4.13 pm, Via Campagnalta, No 2
Father: Giovanni Sartore, 34 yo, villico, living this town
Mother: Maria Andretta, villica, his wife, living with him.

Unfortunately, none of the birth records record Maria Andretta's age, but at least now we have the name of Giovanni's father.

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 05 Feb 2022, 22:28 1880 Birth No 170 – Giuseppe Sartore
Registered San Martino di Lupari on 24 October 1880
Born 20 October 1880, 9.07 pm Via Campagnalta, no number
Father: Giovanni Sartore, 31 yo, tenant farmer, living in the town
Mother: Maria Andretta, tenant farmer, his wife living with him.
Angela
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Cognome Nome Num. lista Data di Nascita Località Nascita Provincia Anno Comune Iscrizione Mandamento Padre Madre
SARTORI Giov. Martino 333,00 11/11/1848 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1848 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Bortolo Pesce Maria
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Angela, really unbelievable thank you so much. I can't believe how many kids there are. I see what I did, I went up to 1879 looking for kids before Frank, but they did numeric ordering vs alphabetical. I crossed Guiseppe Sartore from 1880 off my list, but there were two (#75 who I crossed off and the right one #170).

I'm still going through all of this, but the one thing that caught my eye is the likely death of one of the children as its the same name in 1876 and 1878.

I found the death of I believe the 1876 Bortolo Domenico in that same year of 1876.

Curious if there is any info on that, but was also curious if it lists where Giovanni and Maria were natives of.

Thanks again!!!
D.
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

@mmogno

I believe I see the Maria Pesce you listed in this record, so perhaps aligns to the death record for Bortolo?

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

deigo1 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 00:26 @mmogno

I believe I see the Maria Pesce you listed in this record, so perhaps aligns to the death record for Bortolo?

@diego1

I also came across this death record and have kept it on my laptop here. The only catch is that it reports that he was born in the town of San Martino, not Cittadella, but it could be that the people reporting the death didn't know where he was born? Bortolo isn't that common a name in the area, that I can see, so it could very well be him. Plus he was also living in the same area as Giovanni.

Are you or mmogno able to look up a name for me on the military list for a Pietro Sartore, born circa 1846? I'd be interested to know who his parents were. He named his son Giacomo Bortolo. Ta. (I don't want to sign up to the site.)

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

In my opinion, the Giovanni Martino Sartori who appears in the draft lists, son of Bortolo and Maria Pesce, is Francesco's father. In the death record you posted, Maria Pesce is Bortolo's wife.
deigo1
Elite
Elite

Post by deigo1 »

Only circumstantial...perhaps Giovanni named his first son Bortolo Domenico after his dad (guessing) in 1876. Assuming I got the death certificate correct in my prior post, I think he died that same year (a couple months after being born). He named another son that same name in 1878. If I interpreted "old" Bortolo death certificate correctly his dad (Giovanni's grandpa) was named Giovanni as well?

I screen grabbed the Pietro from the site, there are more but I ordered by birth date.
Attachments
pietro.png
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 00:42 Are you or mmogno able to look up a name for me on the military list for a Pietro Sartore, born circa 1846? I'd be interested to know who his parents were. He named his son Giacomo Bortolo. Ta. (I don't want to sign up to the site.)

Angela
Cognome Nome Num. lista Data di Nascita Località Nascita Provincia Anno Comune Iscrizione Mandamento Padre Madre
SARTORE Pietro 46,00 24/07/1846 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1846 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Angelo Stoppa Regina
SARTORE Pietro 193,00 29/01/1849 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1849 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Bortolo Meneghello Maria
SARTORE Pietro 70,00 27/06/1857 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI PD 1857 SAN MARTINO DI LUPARI CITTADELLA Bortolo Pesce Maria