Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Post by vj »

Lindee wrote:Sam was 20+ years older than Anne. He was a shoemaker, but them many of them were. I only ever heard of g'ma being called anne. I don't think this is the one. I know he was about 40 and she was 17 or 18 when they immigrated, eventhough the manifest shows her at 28, which is not correct according to birth records of their children.

No Lillian anywhere in the family. They lived on Gordon, but not anywhere close to this address, it was 1508 E. gordon.

I don't bellieve this is it.

You are really good. I thought I was a detective! :-)
Hey Linda!
I agree the 1910 census looks really improbable :D
It's really hard to know what Salvatore & Anna's real birth dates
were, like Anna's Surname, they're different on every record.
I guess it's possible that Anna attempted to answer the enumerator's questions.
Maybe she couldn't make herself understood?
When you get into your Italian records you may find that Anna had
two names. Maria was a very common 1st name, many women went
by their 2nd (middle name).
Could Lillian have been Laura?
This is another crop of the 1920 census showing
the 40 E Gordon address (left side).
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9959 ... usynv1.jpg

Did Anna have a social security number?
If she did, her application would have some pretty definitive information
on it.

Valarie
---

About the SS Application:

Social Security Application SS-5
SS# available here if you don’t already have it:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

Information on the original SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

Order form (can be done online), $29:
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Lindee wrote:VJ- I also found the copy of the 1930 naturalization: Corigliano/Derogatis. It is great finding this stuff. It is like being there at that time. I am having trouble finding the naturalization for Salvatore Derogatis, as I mentioned in my last posts.
Hey Linda :D
I never would have found it, I just posted it for everyone
else's reference.

I looked in NY for Salvatore's naturalization w/o luck.
In case you haven't used the Steve Morse one-step pages,
they allow for more search options.
http://www.stevemorse.org/index.html

The reason I mention it, he has one for the New Orleans passenger
lists that link to your ancestry subscription.

Also, his search pages for New York link to both ancestry.com
& the IGG websites (in case you have any family that lived in NYC):

These may help locate New York City records:
Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York
NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

Valarie
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

VJ - thanks for the sight.
My comuter was having issues so i will have to try it after i reboot. I will do this tomorrow and get back with you. Sounds very interesting.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

VJ,

BTW, I do have anne's SS# and will send for the app. Thank you for suggesing that. I didn't know I could get that.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Lindee wrote:VJ,

BTW, I do have anne's SS# and will send for the app. Thank you for suggesing that. I didn't know I could get that.
The record is expensive, but if you can't find the information
elsewhere... At least you know the application was filled out by
your Anna. I hope she listed everything you need.
Good luck with your computer, rebooting always gives me sweaty
palms :wink: .
Valarie
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Valerie,

I'm back. Question regarding the SS# app. I beleive since it was under Anne's second married name, she would more than likely not had any information in writing. Since she could not read or write, here again, they may go by how her name "sounds." I am afraid I will not end up with any more info than I currently have. It would be nice to be able to view it before paying for it to make sure it is what you need.
BTW, is there a way to print out this forum?

Do you have any idea why Salvatore Derogatis's first manifest is so hard to find? Also, what about passports? Did they need them back then and would there be any records of them?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Lindee wrote:Valerie,

I'm back. Question regarding the SS# app. I beleive since it was under Anne's second married name, she would more than likely not had any information in writing. Since she could not read or write, here again, they may go by how her name "sounds." I am afraid I will not end up with any more info than I currently have. It would be nice to be able to view it before paying for it to make sure it is what you need.

The short form (summary) that you can also order has little info & still costs $
But since it was a govt form no doubt it was a requirement to fill in all the blanks :wink: .
I checked out when she filed her application:
531-66- xxxx: Washington, 1973

BTW, is there a way to print out this forum?
When I need copies of the 'dialog' for reference,
I open a word document on my desktop and copy & paste what I need.
If I want a document I click on it and save it to my desktop (Windows Vista)

Do you have any idea why Salvatore Derogatis's first manifest is so hard to find?
Best guess, his name was either horribly written on the manifest or badly transcribed.

Also, what about passports? Did they need them back then and would there be any records of them?
They may have needed some type of identification, but it wouldn't have been collected and kept by any officials
Valarie
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

VJ - thanks for the info. I have been cutting and pasting, thought there may be a faster way.

RE: anne's SS# - it mentions that i need evidence of death. Where would I get that and would something else suffice?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Lindee wrote:RE: anne's SS# - it mentions that i need evidence of death. Where would I get that and would something else suffice?
Linda, this a copy of the email form: Form - SSA 711

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps7/efoiassa/ ... SSA711.jsp

Since you know the SS#, the other information shouldn’t be critical
to finding her application (but everything helps)

No other requirements

Scroll down on this link to find the form:
"MAKE YOUR REQUEST ONLINE"
Online order form SSA 711
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm

It only took abt 4 weeks the last time I ordered one

Valarie
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

VJ - you are so much help in solving some of my families mysteries. Thank you so much. I just want the others on this site that may read this to know how great you guys are.

I just ordered two SS app. copies; one for Anne and one for her second husband, Angelo Corigliano.

I am stuck on Salvatore Derogatis. I did visit the steven morris one-step site, but had no luck. I tried many spelling variations and also with the *. Since he died in 1928, there wouldn't be any SS info on him. I guess I am going to have to dig deeper as well as my other post: Guarisco.

Onward and upward... if you have anyting to add, I'm listening
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lindee instead of reading back in time just what are you looking for with Salvatore de Rogatis (or is it Deroagatis?) =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter- I need his "first" manifest t the US around 1894 or 1896. His nautralization papers, 3 August 1896 in NY, which my grandmother, Anne was naturalized with him when she married him 30 Jan 1908.

I do have a death cert. for Sal DeRogatis. It lists his father as, Leopold DeRogatis and mother Katherine, no last name. Sal is my mother's father who died when she was 8, so she didn't even know her grandparents names that were listed.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter- I forgot to mention I was also looking for the manifest for Salvatore Guarisco who came here in 1900 to Louisiana. I don't iknow if he came through Ellis Island. He came from Gibellina, Sicily Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a Salvatore Guarisco coming in 1906 at ellisisland destined to someone in NY and right below him is another person who is destined for Detroit, both about the same age and not related in any apparent way. I suspect (first time for me ) that the manifest preparer in palermo made a mistake. Can you go back to that entry and see if the person to whom he was destined to (his brother-in-law) is familiar to you?

Since I have become positively paranoid, I also got the feeling that Savatore De Rogatis was never naturalized....I just recently read an article about counterfeit document fraud among immigrants in those early years and naturalization papers were mentioned as being forged and sold. However, there is an e-mail address USERDB-SUBMIT@ROOTSWEB.COM <USERDB-SUBMIT@ROOTSWEB.COM> who will do a check for you (so they say) and maybe they can come up with something.
Please keep me posted. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter, the manifest you talk about is not my grandfather. The timeline is wrong as he was already in the states working in Lousiana at that time. The only time that I know of that he left was when he went back to Italy to serve in WWI around 1918. I did not recognize the other name.

It is interesting what you mentioned about the naturalization of my other grandfather. It may be entirely possible. I know he made 2 trips here; once around 1894-96 and then again withb my grandmother in 1908. I will email the address you provided.