Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Need help, searching DeRogatis, Chatta from Naples

Post by PeterTimber »

Two items triggered off my questioning the validity of documents. If you go to www.wordlviotalrecords.com and just put in Derogatis and scroll down to ellisisland listings you will see that for Savatore and Anna there is no prior residence listed in the last column while all the other derogatis have a prior residence elisted...why I wonder.

Further Salvatore and Anna appeared to be living in NYC in 1918 and are listed in the NYC directory (Go to www.notebook.com 3 day freebie and since there is only one deroagtis listed you should quickly get to it. I could not see the address as my 3 days are up!!).

I made the observation that prior to 1900 the name is spelled De Rogatis but after 1900 it became derogatis for whatever thats worth. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

OOOPS! www.worldvitalrecords.com is the correct spelling. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter- I followed the information you reuested, but cannot bring up what you mentioned. Can you please post those links?

There were many Salvatores and Anne Derogatis' they never lived in NY. Salvatore only came to the US (NY) on his first trip to be naturalized in or around 1894-96. Anne was not with him on the first trip, she didn't know him at that time.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter- are you sure this is correct??? www.notebook.com
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

No it is not correct. The proper website is www.footnote.com =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter, I logged on to worldvitalrecords.com, entered Derogatis and scolled to ellisisland. I did not find what you wrote about "prior residence." Please clarify. I wans't able to pull up any of what you mentioned. I have also found by entering in "De Rogatis" I am having better luck in searches.

I went to footnote.com with virtually no luck of any kind. I do not like that site at all. It is very user UNfriendly.

Please help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The prior residence line is the very last line where there is nothing written for Salvatore and Anna in the ellisisand listings of Derogatis as you lokk axcross from the left to the right.

Further I dfound the 3 day fereebie very easy. All you had to do is put in Savatore De Rogatis (or derogatis) in the search box and the one listing will come up and just follow thur after you sign up for the 3 day freebie.

Sorry for your troubles. Meant well. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter, I jave pulled up the WVR and don't even find a listing for salvatore and anne. would you please provide the link so i can see what you are talking about? I have the original manifest form 1908 to ellis island if that is what you mean. When they came here from Italy, they did not have a residence here yet. Please clarify if it is something different than what i have.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

When you put in the wvr wesbite put in De Rogatis spelling. There are 54 listed in the ellisisland.org listing and in the listings for Salvatore and Anna there is nothing in ther last column while allothers either have and italian location for aliens and USA or NYC for UScitizens. Only Salvatore and Anne had nothing listed listed along with one other person named Carlos De Rogatis. I hope this clarifies things. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter, yes this is the same one I have. I also did a Google search and found this:

http://www.co.livingston.state.ny.us/pd ... zation.pdf

it lists salvatore De Rogatis (actually, I think it is under derogatis, it makes a difference with the space between the De and the rest of the name)

The exact naturalization date of 3 Aug. 1896 is listed there. I cannot find how to get into their site to contact them since this is a pdf file. Any ideas on how to get this?
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

I found a contact page for the historian and sent an email to them. Cross your fingers.

thanks for your help on this.

is there anywhere online that has Italian marriage license information?
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

pink67--

Is there a form letter in Italian requesting these records?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes go to www.mangeruca.com for italianlanguage form letter for requesting documents from Italy town of marriage. =peter=