Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
And just in case this wasn't provided, here is a Italian-English genealogical word list to help with translations.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Hope this answers your question.
jcsm[/quote]
Oh yes it sure does. I appreciate it.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP
Hope this answers your question.
jcsm[/quote]
Oh yes it sure does. I appreciate it.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Yes... the film may help clear up how many children Rosaria had... and many of the doubts... not an easy family to research...Graffeo wrote:Esperanza:
Okay the pages finally displayed for Stefano. I must say I am stumped on this one. He's going to New York and his name is Stefano and those factors don't add up even though the other things do. There again I will just have to think about it and hope this piece of the puzzle falls into or out of place eventually. I need to find out how many children Rosario had and what they were named, which I think will be on the film I get from the Mormon Center on Piana. Thanks so much.
That Stefano manifest is a strange one... though... certainly looks like his mother Rosaria or Rosana?? Pumilia's name... and he is a Graffeo churchman....
Anyways, I too am wasting time with the Ellis records... wish they would fix this problem...
Good luck with your research!! Please keep us updated!!
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Hi jcsm400, thanks! very kind!jcsm400 wrote:Here you go, suanj,
1900 census.
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/3351 ... 900ao0.jpg
NOTE: Radie should be Sadie & Mary's parents are listed below.
jcsm
and for Esperanza (Esperanza you remember to me a my great friend: you are so similar to my dear Maria......): I don't find posted the 1900 census, no in this and/or in other thread..
the priest Vitus Graffeo is Vito Graffeo in italian spell...
however I believe that it are some basic confusion abt this search ...
so... well...: good luck for all!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
The Ellis site was very pokey last night jcsm... just couldn't get the images to show up... even with the Ancestry site.jcsm400 wrote:Check the family above & smile!
1900 United States Federal Census Record
Name: Joe Lunetta
Home in 1900: Fort Worth Ward 3, Tarrant, Texas
Age: 51
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Race: White
Occupation: View Image
Immigration Year: 1887
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joe Lunetta 51
Mary Lunetta 42
Joe Lunetta 18
Henry Barnett 62
James Salamon 50
ImageShack is pokey tonite....will link asap.......It's being a really pain tonight, so I hope this link works.
http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/06c1ee25d2.jpg
jcsm
Here is the census record originally shown on page 2 (with the Lunetta's and the Graffeo's)... a great find!
I did find a few Vito Graffeo manifests... but no one that resembles a priest. The only Graffeo person I could find involved with the church was Stefano, who's mother was listed as "Rosaria or Rosana" Pumilia.. (possible Sadie...) mentioned earlier...
Lots of info to sort out... in all, great contributions by everyone.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Esperanza:
I am starting to think Stephano is Vitus my great uncle. The 1910 census says Vitus came to America in 1909 when he was about 30 years old and we know his mother is Rosaria Pumilia who lived in Piana. So if Stefan is not my uncle but some other person, it means that there are two unrelated priests who both have the same surname Graffeo, who immigrated to America in 1909, and who each had a mother named Rosario Pumilia who lived in Piana. That's a pretty far fetched coincidence.
I feel certain if Vitus had a brother who was also a priest or a twin, I would know about it. You have not found another Vitus on the manifests, so I think Stefan must be my uncle Vitus.
Otherwise the coincidence is too strange. What do you think?
I am starting to think Stephano is Vitus my great uncle. The 1910 census says Vitus came to America in 1909 when he was about 30 years old and we know his mother is Rosaria Pumilia who lived in Piana. So if Stefan is not my uncle but some other person, it means that there are two unrelated priests who both have the same surname Graffeo, who immigrated to America in 1909, and who each had a mother named Rosario Pumilia who lived in Piana. That's a pretty far fetched coincidence.
I feel certain if Vitus had a brother who was also a priest or a twin, I would know about it. You have not found another Vitus on the manifests, so I think Stefan must be my uncle Vitus.
Otherwise the coincidence is too strange. What do you think?
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Had to check out the significance of Vitus... since it is a unique name.... and found this...Graffeo wrote:Esperanza:
I am starting to think Stephano is Vitus my great uncle. The 1910 census says Vitus came to America in 1909 when he was about 30 years old and we know his mother is Rosaria Pumilia who lived in Piana. So if Stefan is not my uncle but some other person, it means that there are two unrelated priests who both have the same surname Graffeo, who immigrated to America in 1909, and who each had a mother named Rosario Pumilia who lived in Piana. That's a pretty far fetched coincidence.
I feel certain if Vitus had a brother who was also a priest or a twin, I would know about it. You have not found another Vitus on the manifests, so I think Stefan must be my uncle Vitus.
Otherwise the coincidence is too strange. What do you think?
St. Vitus
Coincidence is too strange... mother's name is the same, town name is the same... surname the same...
Sometimes you have to question manifests like this... (positively and negatively)
This information is very new to us... so I can understand any doubts you or anyone else may have.
I don't know what to make of it either. This person Stefano came over as a "churchman" .... had wondered why they didn't put down "priest"... maybe he wasn't ordained??
Would a Priest change his given name once ordained? Did he have that option...
One can think for many years that a person was called one name... and then documents say another...
At this point, it's best to proceed with caution... but I would assume he's related... that's my opinion...
I will look into it a little further if I can, and reply...
but for now... Can you recall a Louisiana street address.... ??
Glad you reposted...
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
It is possible your uncle may have changed his name once ordained (after all, doesn't the Pope do this?). And Saint Vitus was Sicilian.....
Found this article which is kinda neat..hope you enjoy reading it.
Click Here
Found this article which is kinda neat..hope you enjoy reading it.
Click Here
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Looks like we were both on religious sites... (just finished an edit...)
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
As always Suanj.......you are ever wise.....
Baci,
Lee
Baci,
Lee
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Oooo! Good thinking. Well I looked around on the net to find out if priests take a new name when they are ordained. I could not find that they do that however nuns, monks and the pope do.Esperanza wrote:Looks like we were both on religious sites... (just finished an edit...)
One thing that could explain the name change is that usually Catholics have a confirmation name that you can choose for yourself when you are a kid. So in the old days you would really have three given names, your baptismal name, your middle name and your confirmation name. So it is possible that Vitus name was some combination of Vitus P. Stefano Graffeo. The confirmation name is not a legally recorded name but you could start using it as a first name when you came to America if you wanted to. To me it's not a far fetched idea Stefano is one of his names and he stopped using it when he came to America.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Esperanza wrote:Graffeo wrote:Esperanza:
I don't know what to make of it either. This person Stefano came over as a "churchman" .... had wondered why they didn't put down "priest"... maybe he wasn't ordained??
Would a Priest change his given name once ordained? Did he have that option...
One can think for many years that a person was called one name... and then documents say another...
At this point, it's best to proceed with caution... but I would assume he's related... that's my opinion...
I will look into it a little further if I can, and reply...
but for now... Can you recall a Louisiana street address.... ??
Glad you reposted...
Wel sicne he was already 30 when he came here and already had an assistant pastors job lined up I think he was already ordained in Italy. Maybe the clerk filling out the manifest just put down the wrong name. Or like you said documents can say another name than what a person likes to be called. I betcha Stefano is Vitus. He did not live in La seems like only Ft. Worth and Corsicana. I think you found him..time will tell.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
[And Saint Vitus was Sicilian..... Found this article which is kinda neat..hope you enjoy reading it.
Click Here[/quote]
Wow St. Vitus is pretty impressive! Such a brave little fellow too.
Click Here[/quote]
Wow St. Vitus is pretty impressive! Such a brave little fellow too.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Posted on a Catholic Answers Forum
Curiosity- A question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Did priest always retain their birth names (both 1st & surnames)after becoming a priest? I believe nuns use to acquire a new name.....This question came up in doing genealogical research.
Thanks in advance for all replies.
jcsm"
ANSWER:
Re: Curiosity- A question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, they do retain their first and last names, unless they enter an order like the Missionaries of the Eternal Word. Then they get a new first name, I think. I know all the Missionaries have Mary as part of their name. Diocesan priests keep their own names.
Peace,
Linda
Curiosity- A question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Did priest always retain their birth names (both 1st & surnames)after becoming a priest? I believe nuns use to acquire a new name.....This question came up in doing genealogical research.
Thanks in advance for all replies.
jcsm"
ANSWER:
Re: Curiosity- A question
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, they do retain their first and last names, unless they enter an order like the Missionaries of the Eternal Word. Then they get a new first name, I think. I know all the Missionaries have Mary as part of their name. Diocesan priests keep their own names.
Peace,
Linda
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Only the monks change their first name, no the priests.. so almost in Catholic church! regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Still looking for great grandfather Graffeo
Genealogy is best done by starting with yourself and working backwards:
In genealogical research, vital records are the foundation to our success. Vital records pertain to birth, marriage and death.
What is a vital record?
A record of birth, marriage, death and sometimes divorce records.
In what order should you search for vital records? Why?
Death, Marriage, Birth. By first searching the last event in a person's life (his or her death), you will find clues to earlier events.
Why would you want to obtain a death record if you already know the date of death of an individual?
The death record may contain much more information about the person such as birth date and place.
Other key sources for info are Naturalization, Social Security applications and church records. Obituaries are good for info, but can be subject to error. Gather all US records......your ancestor is not your ancestor unless you can prove it.
wldspirit
In genealogical research, vital records are the foundation to our success. Vital records pertain to birth, marriage and death.
What is a vital record?
A record of birth, marriage, death and sometimes divorce records.
In what order should you search for vital records? Why?
Death, Marriage, Birth. By first searching the last event in a person's life (his or her death), you will find clues to earlier events.
Why would you want to obtain a death record if you already know the date of death of an individual?
The death record may contain much more information about the person such as birth date and place.
Other key sources for info are Naturalization, Social Security applications and church records. Obituaries are good for info, but can be subject to error. Gather all US records......your ancestor is not your ancestor unless you can prove it.
wldspirit




