Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Sorry, I misunderstood. They all come from Palermo, Sicily. I have found records in Campofiorito and Bisaquino. Campo was once a part of Bisaquino, as it is a very small commune. I will also look for the town name again -all over Italy -just in case they weere not from Sicily.

Thanks!
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Lucap,
Prizzi is nearby and I cn try to find records there. Why do u think it's Prizzi?
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

helepera wrote:Lucap,
Prizzi is nearby and I cn try to find records there. Why do u think it's Prizzi?
I correct myself: i don't think it's Prizzi, i'm sure.

nominativo: Peritium
gentivo: Peritii
dativo: Peritio
accusativo: Peritium
vocativo:
ablativo: Peritio

Did you look at this link? http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:cp ... gl=it%29[i]
Le origini di Prizzi sono avvolte nel mistero come l’etimologia del suo nome che negli antichi diplomi normanni appare nella forma di Peritium. [/i]
(The origin (biginning) of Prizzi are wrapped in the mistery like so for the etymology of its name that in the ancient Norman documents is reported in the form Peritium).

L.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Yes, I did, but my Italian is not too good:-) I have been searching Prizzi records, but Ihave yet to find official Prizzi docs on line. Thanks!
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Lucap wrote:
helepera wrote:That's what I can't determine.
I knew that. It's for this reason that i asked you about the marriage of Antonio and Giuseppa ( http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... to2Wed.jpg ) to know, approximately, the area in which to look for the place mentioned (Oppido Peritii in latin) :wink:

Hi Lucap, pls look at this new record. It is the only record that shows PERITTI again. Why is that? It does not show Oppido Peritii. What is the difference? I am confused. Can u or anyone else translate this record. Many thanks!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... ne1893.jpg
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

It's the SAME thing:
"Oppido Peritii" means "della città di Prizzi" (of the town of Prizzi)
"Peritii" means "di Prizzi" (of Prizzi)
Oppido is only a way to indicate the structure of Prizzi (i did translate Oppido with the word town, but actually i should say "castle", because oppido indicates a small fortify town).
That's ok?

L.
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... ne1893.jpg

Il giorno 10 di questo [mese]
Su licenza del reverendo economo di questa chiesa madre sotto il titolo di Santo Stefano
Arcangelo di Giangrosso, io sacerdote Mario Bianca(Bianco?) battezzai
un bambino nato ieri da Leone (surname) Girolamo (first name) e Petronaggio
Andreana coniugi di Prizzi a cui [fu imposto] il nome Antonia. Padrini furono
Alfano Giuseppe e Gallina Antonina coniugi
(there is a small error in the text the priest wrote, becase he first says "infantem natum" - masculine - then he indicates a feminine name - Antonina)
L.
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by liviomoreno »

Initially the priest wrote Antoninus, then he corrected it to Antonina. Maybe he double checked :wink:
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Thank you! I think I will need access to Prizzi records to find roots...
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

Penso proprio di si!

L.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Hi,

I just found this while researching SPURIO and PERITII. Please look at the mention of PROIETTI. Can this be one in the same.

We should mention that the large number of foundlings placed in orphanages, and sometimes given arbitrary surnames like Esposito (from ex positum, literally "of this place"), Trovato ("found"), Proietti ("cast out") and d'Ignoti ("parents unknown"), reflects the reality that births to unwed mothers were not particularly unusual. Research in nineteenth-century vital statistics registers confirms this, though a law passed in 1928 prohibited the assignment to foundlings or out-of-wedlock children those surnames that indicated the circumstances of their births. It is obvious that young unwed mothers did not always marry the fathers of their children.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

I am getting closer to solving the mystery. I just ofund my grandmother's chruch record. I see the name of her dad, but not her mom (remember Benedetta SPURIA Leone and Benedetta ESPOSITO? I think this documents what we've been discussing.
Lucap and Livio, can u translate this, please?
I thik it shows Prizzi, too!!!
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab10 ... ni1878.png
User avatar
Lucap
Master
Master
Posts: 751
Joined: 16 Feb 2008, 16:27
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by Lucap »

This is the birth record of Maria Sciardi (or Sciandi), daughter of Benedetta Sposto (probably the same thing that Esposito) and Giuseppe Sciardi from Prizzi. Godfather Arcangelo Giardina.

L.
User avatar
helepera
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 88
Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 01:57

Re: Need help translation Marriage Record Palermo

Post by helepera »

Thanks. I think the name is actually SCIANNI, which is correct, if it's my family:-) Giuseppe and benedetta are also correct, and Prizzi is the same as the other records. I am happy to know that u agree that Sposto is the same as Esposito. In each record showing a realtionship for Josehp Scianni and Benedetta, she allears as Beneetta Spurio Leone, Benedetta Sposa, Benedetta Sposto. So, there is something abbout her and her last name that requires more research. Is she illegitimate, an orphan, or the daughter of a woman whose husband died, or abandoned her. The search continues, but I am happy that we were able to document that prizzi is n fact the town for Joseph, However, where do we begin ot find Benedetta's town. LOL
Thanks again!
Hele
Post Reply