Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by suanj »

I found this ship's manifest:
First Name: Giovanni
Last Name: Marcoguiseppe
Ethnicity: U. S. Citizen
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Dec 14, 1901
Age at Arrival: 38y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Nord America
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0015

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015
in USa from 1888....
wife Maria in NY......
Giovanni Antonio Marcogiuseppe was 22 old at marriage time in 1886, so born abt 1864....
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

The Giovanni Marcoguiseppe on the 1904 manifest is only a 2 year old child. Definitely not the right person. Maestra, you say his wife's name is Angela. I see that, but she is listed as having a husband name Giacomo di Fisio.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by maestra36 »

Sorry, Chris. I didn't see the original manifest. I only saw the names on Castle Garden.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

No problem!!
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

I have some additional information on Antonette. The death certificate that I posted was a scan of a scan, so the quality wasn't so good. I just got the real one in the mail today and the mother's maiden name does not begin with a B. I attached it for you to review. In addition, the second page indicates that her father, Frank Petro, hired the undertaker. We were expecting it to be her husband Aniello, but that was not the case.

At this point we wonder if the marriage was not a particularly good one, since he wasn't involved in the funeral/burial preparations, nor was he buried with her.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

I was just wondering if anyone knew another way to find out the names of the parents listed on the death certificate. Being that the deceased was buried in Calvary Cemetery in NY, and the father hired the undertaker, would there be another record at the cemetery that gives the father's name. I'm trying to confirm the spelling of Frank Petro. Perhaps it's Petra or Pitre or even Pitro?

Any suggestions???
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

Does the cemetery keep records of who paid for a person's burial??
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by maestra36 »

Chris
I have in my possession a "certificate for burial privilege" from St Raymond's cemetery in the Bronx, NY and it does show a sum of $200 for burial in the grave in which my one grandfather was buried in 1968. It was paid for by his surviving widow and shows that the money was received from her. But only her name, and not her relationship to the deceased, is not stated on this certificate. It is dated the date my grandfather was buried there.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by maestra36 »

the word "not" before "stated on this certificate" should have been omitted.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

thank you
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

More information. We just found out that another person is buried in that plot. Carmella Pace, who was born 1913 and died 11 months later in 1914. We have absolutely no idea who she is.

I did find a naturalization record for a Francesco DePetro who had a wife named Anna Pace, but I don't know if there is any relation.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

I just received the marriage certificate for Aniello Fernandes and Antonette Missanelli. I'm now even more confused than ever!!!

On this certificate, her maiden name is Antonetta Aragusa. Mother's name is Rosa Massanelli and father Francesco (no last name but I assume it's Aragusa). This contradicts her death certificate, which lists Frank Petro as her father. I could see if there was a slight spelling difference, but Petro is a far cry from Aragusa. Does anyone have some suggestions on this?

One other thing. I checked for Aragusa names and can't find that name anywhere. However, Aragosa comes up in Caserta, where Aniello is from.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by maestra36 »

Maybe Antonetta had a marriage prior to her marriage to Aniello and Aragusa was her married name from the previous marriage.
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by maestra36 »

Maybe Antonetta had a marriage prior to her marriage to Aniello and Aragusa was her married name from the previous marriage. Does the marriage record you just received say anything about her marriage to Aniello being her first marriage?
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Antonette Massanelli Mystery Grows

Post by chrisdamato »

Yes, it lists the marriage as the first for both of them.

If I went directly to the church in Manhattan, would they have additional information that may not have been included in the State of NY marriage certificate????

I also need to get the marriage certificate for Antonetta's sister Giovanna. I wonder what the father's name will be on that?
Post Reply