Eligible for Dual Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Eligible for Dual Citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Miami consulate's web site ( http://www.consmiami.esteri.it/Consolat ... tadinanza/ ) seems to say that a copy of the naturalization certificate is required. Frankly, this makes no sense to me and I believe it may be a poorly-worded section and nothing else. Most consulate that I am aware of accept the completed Oath of Allegiance as evidence of the exact date of naturalization.

As mler suggested, for post-1912 (?) naturalizations, the Oath of Allegiance was actually printed on the backside of the Petition for Naturalization form. It should be signed and dated and also include the number of the naturalization certificate which was assigned.

Copies of the certificate can be obtained only from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS). Since you (presumably) already have the actual certificate number, you can skip the index search and go directly to the "document request" procedure. Go to http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD and click "Order Online Now" at the top-right. On the next page, choose the third option, Record Request without Request Case ID.

After completeing the next few pages of information, you come to a page which looks like this. Check the first box and enter the letter "C" plus the certificate number in the box provided. Fill in the additional boxes in this section and then continue from there.

image upload
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jvalluzz

Post by jvalluzz »

Has anyone worked with the National Italian American Foundation to apply for dual American Italian citizenship or have any information about them?

Jim
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The NIAF is a very reputable organization deserving of the support of any Italian-American - or anyone else, for that matter!

However, I am not aware that they offer any resources or services in regards to Italian citizenship other then the eligibility questionaire located at http://niaf.org/citizenship/index.asp
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
wawakcj

Post by wawakcj »

I called to make an appointment at the Chicago consulate to show all my documents and they said they are no longer taking appointments in 2011??? You cannot make another appt till 2012. Does anyone know a way to expedite the process? I spent a lot of money and time gathering 23 documents from all over the world. I do not think I can apply in Italy or a different consulate if I live in Chicago. Has anyone been successful getting an earlier appointment?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It is highly unlikely that you will get an earlier appointment in Chicago. The one possible exception is if you could convince them that you intended to move to Italy in the near term and that citizenship is critical; for example, if you had a job lined up playing with an important Italian sports league. :D

Barring that, you would have to set up proper residency in a city which falls under a different consulate, however it is unlikely that you would find a much shorter waiting list. If I recall correctly, the Detroit consulate is the only one I have read of that does not require an appointment at all, but I may very well be wrong on that point.

Keep in mind that there is the appointment wait time and then there is the processing time. You may wait longer for an appointment in Chicago as compared to another consulate, but then the processing time may be significantly shorter (or not). Also, some consulates are known to be more picky on certain points (minor name or date discrepancies, for example) than others.

You can apply in Italy, but to do so you will first have to establish legal residency there. Also, there are some extra steps required to legalize your documents for use in Italy. Try the ExpatsInItaly forum ( http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=2 ) for more info on this option.
Carmine

Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Copies of the certificate can be obtained only from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS). Since you (presumably) already have the actual certificate number, you can skip the index search and go directly to the "document request" procedure. Go to http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 2ca60aRCRD and click "Order Online Now" at the top-right. On the next page, choose the third option, Record Request without Request Case ID.

After completeing the next few pages of information, you come to a page which looks like this. Check the first box and enter the letter "C" plus the certificate number in the box provided. Fill in the additional boxes in this section and then continue from there.

image upload
Carmine, I just sent a request to USCIS for my GG grandfather's nat record. Typically, how long does it take before I receive it? Also, what happens if the record number is off my one number? I'm 99% sure his record number was 466627, but it was hard to tell with the 2.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito