Castrofilippo Ancestors - Maternal Line

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Castrofilippo Ancestors - Maternal Line

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, the Carmela I posted does not fit and you responded before I was able to delete it :-)

Here is Carmela Mulè who died in 1884...
Her parents were deceased Paolo Mulè and deceased Rosa Brutto
She was the widow of Calogero Volpe...
At age 44 at death, that would put her birth about 1840.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1892/31 ... 8239-00080

EDIT TO ADD***
It appears her husband, Calogero Volpe, died in March of the year that Diego was born.
He was age 43, and the husband of Carmela Mulè ...

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1892/31 ... 8238-02944

T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Well, thank you. It looks like the plot thickens…. Let’s see if I have this straight. Diego was born 1876 to Giuseppe Gagliano and unknown woman. Carmine/Carmela Mule’ is listed on Diego’s 1908 marriage certificate in the U. S. but was married to Calogero Volpe. Calogero V died in 1876, shortly after Diego was born. Giuseppe G. married Giovanna Restivo in 1878. They proceeded to have several (6) children. In 1884, Carmela Mule’ dies.

I guess it was complicated. We can insinuate a lot from those facts, but it is all rumor at this point. I can’t prove that Carmela M. is actually Diego’s biological mother, despite the mention of her name on the US record. I guess it’s time for me to remover her entire branch (3 generations). In her place, Giovanna Restivo will go. You found the marriage act of Giovanna and Giuseppe G.

While small, this shows quite the microcosm of life in the tiny town of Castrofilippo. The names alone on Calogero Volpe’s death act are like a reading of my tree. Calogero Restivo was Giovanna Restivo’s father and the Giovanna Augello mentioned could have been related to Domenica Augello, wife of Calogero Restivo. It is really fascinating….

Thank you again…..
- Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

peonygirl wrote:Well, thank you. It looks like the plot thickens…. Let’s see if I have this straight. Diego was born 1876 to Giuseppe Gagliano and unknown woman. Carmine/Carmela Mule’ is listed on Diego’s 1908 marriage certificate in the U. S. but was married to Calogero Volpe. Calogero V died in 1876, shortly beforeDiego was born. Giuseppe G. married Giovanna Restivo in 1878. They proceeded to have several (6) children. In 1884, Carmela Mule’ dies.

I guess it was complicated. We can insinuate a lot from those facts, but it is all rumor at this point. Absolutely I can’t prove that Carmela M. is actually Diego’s biological mother, despite the mention of her name on the US record. Correct I guess it’s time for me to remover her entire branch (3 generations). In her place, Giovanna Restivo will go. You found the marriage act of Giovanna and Giuseppe G.

While small, this shows quite the microcosm of life in the tiny town of Castrofilippo. The names alone on Calogero Volpe’s death act are like a reading of my tree. Calogero Restivo was Giovanna Restivo’s father and the Giovanna Augello mentioned could have been related to Domenica Augello, wife of Calogero Restivo. It is really fascinating…. Always

Thank you again…..
- Peonygirl
T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

I’ve been busy researching the death dates for several Castrofilippo ancestors. My goal is to get the death acts, and at the very least the death dates, for them. Some of the acts I can make out sufficiently to post on my tree (and they are verified as being with correct spouse in correct time). However, a few people fall through the cracks. I cannot determine the key facts. One of those people is Giovanna Mule' - she is wife of Giuseppe Aucello (sometimes referred to as Augello) and mother to Concetta Aucello. Here is what I have found on Giovanna –

1875 – Castrofilippo
Mayor Ignazio Vizzini
Reported by Calogero Mule’, son of Antonio, and Gaspare Provenzano.
Died Giovanna Mule’, age ?, daughter of Maria Curto and Calogero (Mule’), farmers
Witnesses - Giuseppe Castallano and Salvatore Astuto
Can you determine the age of Giovanna? It does not state that she was married to Giuseppe Aucello, which makes me wonder if this is the correct person. I did not have her parents but the witness names are not familiar, so it would help to know her age as a key.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1892/31 ... 8238-02907

and a second act for Filippo Curto
Jul 1867 – Castrofilippo
Mayor Carmelo Savaterri
Died Filippo Curto, age 78, husband of Giuseppa Argento, born and living in this commune, son of Rosario [Curto] and ????
I cannot deciper the mother’s name. But he was married to Giuseppa Argento, so this is the correct person.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1892/31 ... 8238-02622

Thank you for any help you can offer. It is greatly appreciated.
- Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Giovanna was one month old.

In the second, Filippo is the WIDOWER of Giuseppa Argento,
He is the son of deceased Rosario, and of deceased Girolama La Magra.

T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Great. Thank you, Tessa.
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

If I may, one more for this batch:

Calogero Restivo d 1876
10 Mar 1876
Mayor Ignazio Vezzini
Reported by Rosaria Cineparato, 60, Castrofilippo, and Matteo Serraville, 40 that Calogero Restivo died. He was son of Raimondo [Restivo] farmer and Carmela Volpe.

I cannot make out the witnesses due to hole in paper. There is also the word unmarried after Carmela’s name. Does that mean that Calogero was unmarried or that Carmela V. was unmarried, making Calogero illegitimate?

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1892/31600_208238-02591?
backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2fsearch%2fdb.aspx%3fdbid%3d1892%26path%3d&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnBrowsing#?imageId=31600_208238-02944

Thank you for any help you can offer. PG
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OK...
Calogero Restivo d 1876
10 Mar 1876 - death on 9th (ieri = yesterda)
Mayor Ignazio Vezzini
Reported by Rosaria Comparato, 60, Castrofilippo, and Matteo Serraville, 40 that Calogero Restivo died. He was son of Raimondo [Restivo] farmer and Carmela Volpe.
The deceased Calogero was 7 months old...

I cannot make out the witnesses due to hole in paper. There is also the word unmarried after Carmela’s name. Does that mean that Calogero was unmarried or that Carmela V. was unmarried, making Calogero illegitimate?

T.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

This doesn't look good...guess its back to the drawing board. But, thank you for translating and giving me the news....Peonygirl
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

A few questions - I'm placing them in this thread as it is related.
Question is for Calogero Sferrazza - a Castrofilippo ancestor. There seems to be a death date for him - twice! The difference is in the name, Calogero vs Calogero Antonio, and the fact that the 1824 date does not mention his wife, Calogera Barbiere. So, I’m leaning toward 1856, but its confusing that both death dates have correct parents. I'm posting the link and my translation (summarized):

Calogero Sferrazza d 1856 - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

IMG36 – 21 Nov 1856
Appeared before me, Mayor Alfonso Vicattone, of Commune of Castrofilippo, Province and District of Girgenti, Antonio Bantelotta, 56 yr, farmer, and Calogera Rizzo, 48 yr, farmer, of this Commune, who reported that on this day died Calogero Sferrazza, age 89, widow of Calogera Barbiere, born in Castrofilippo, farmer, son of Amodeo [Sferrazza], deceased, and Cora Bufalino, deceased, both living in this Commune when alive.

Calogero Antonio Sferrazza d 1824
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

IMG23 – 5 Dec 1824
Appeared before me, Mayor Sedita of Castrofilippo, District of Girgenti, appeared Carmela ? 30, farmer, and Vincenzo Teoishe, farmer, that in this Commune, on this day, died Calogero Antonio Sferrazza, born in Castrofilippo, farmer, son of Amodeo Sferrazza, deceased, and Cora Bufalino, deceased.

Any help is appreciated....PG
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Fellow researchers – While I’ve been making good progress, I am currently at a standstill with one person in my tree. Whatever help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

The name is Giovanna Mule’; she was born c 1779. She married Giuseppe Aucello (although sometimes his surname is spelled Augello, and even Au’Gello). From her marriage to Giuseppe, she had 4 children: (Calogero Aucello, b 1806 – d 1846), Genueffa Aucello, b 1807, Concetta Aucello b 1813, and Salvatore Aucello, b 1817. )

Concetta Aucello and Santo Pitruzzella married in 1830. It is from this act that I get Giovanna's birth date (approximate). The link and my translation follow:

Marriage act – 1830 http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

IMG#28 - Castrofilippo, Pescara, Italy. Before me, Filippo Cure, Mayor of Castrofilippo, District of Girgenti, appeared Santo Pitruzzella, age 20, born in Castrofilippo, farmer, son of Dima [Pitruzzella] age 55, farmer and Maria Alaimo, age 58. And Concella Aucello, age 17, born and living in Castrofilippo, daughter of Giuseppe [Aucello] deceased, and Giovanna Mule', age 51, both residing in Castrofilippo.

So, from that I gather that Giovanna would be born about 1779. Since the first child, Calogero, was born 1806, it is probable that the marriage of Giovanna and Giuseppe took place about 1805. I have not been able to find that act. However, I did find a promising death act for Giovanna but I do not see her marriage to Giuseppe Aucello in that death act. Perhaps I am not reading it correctly?

Link to possible death act in 1834 - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 6.jpg.html

IMG#7 - 22 Jan 1834
Before me, Mayor Santo Vicottone, (Castrofilippo, Province of Girgenti), appeared Paolo Mule', 54, farmer, and Salvadore Sferrazza, 52, farmer, also from Castrofilippo, reporting that on this day died Giovanna Mule', daughter of deceased Giuseppe [Mule'] and Stefano Marino, also deceased.

Any clarification is very appreciated. Thanks...PG
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

peonygirl wrote:A few questions - I'm placing them in this thread as it is related.

IMG36 – 22 Nov 1856
Appeared before me, Mayor Alfonso Vicattone, of Commune of Castrofilippo, Province and District of Girgenti, Antonino Bantelotta, 57 yr, farmer, and Calogera Rizzo, 48 yr, farmer, of this Commune, who reported that on day 21 died Calogero Sferrazza, age 83, husband of Calogera Barbiere, born in Castrofilippo, farmer, son of Amodeo [Sferrazza], deceased, and Cora Bufalino, deceased, both living in this Commune when alive.

Calogero Antonio Sferrazza d 1824
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

IMG23 – 5 Dec 1824
Appeared before me, Mayor Sedita of Castrofilippo, District of Girgenti, appeared Carmela ? 30, farmer, and Vincenzo Teoishe, farmer, that in this Commune, on this day, died Calogero Antonio Sferrazza, born in Castrofilippo, farmer, son of Amodeo Sferrazza, deceased, and Cora Bufalino, deceased.

Any help is appreciated....PG
The one in the act of 1824 might have been a sibling. It often happened that people were known by names others than baptism names.
As the 1856 record seems to be the right one, I made some corrections.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

Thank you, Pippo. It is always good to have a second set of eyes, I agree. :D
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

OK, I hope this does not mean that the master researchers of this forum are also stuck on Giovanna Mule' - tha would be too scary. No luck? (see post before the Pippo's response to Calogero Sferrazza response)
Peonygirl
Always Searching....