Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

I think your best bet would be getting her SSDI information... they are an interesting couple to research... Ancestry .com mentions that "marital status" can be found on these records... If anyone has ordered one, please let us know what type of matrimony info can be found...

I have never tried to get info from this type of record... but from what I have read, there's lot of other info that can be verified.

so... I'd like to wager $3.00 and say she was married in 1914... :lol: mfjp

... and still keep looking for info... as well... :P
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by wldspirit »

Start with a spiral bound notebook, write down what you know to be factual, and what needs to be investigated further.
I agree with mfjp, sending for records here in the states is your best bet
in order to get concrete infos. Once you have those, then you can jump to the other side of the big blue ocean........ :D

Good Luck,
wldspirit
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

I have sent for several Social Security applications from 1937 and 1941. I had the name and SS# from the SS index on roots web and used the request letter generated by the web site.

Items on card:
Name: First and Last
Current address
Name of father
Name of mother
Name and address of employer
Age at last birthday
Date of birth
Place of birth (both listed Italy, no other detail)
Sex
Color
Date you became an employee
Have you filled out a card like this before
Date signed
Signature

Hope this helps you decide if its worth sending for.

Debbie
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

VaDeb wrote:Hi,

I have sent for several Social Security applications from 1937 and 1941. I had the name and SS# from the SS index on roots web and used the request letter generated by the web site.

Items on card:
Name: First and Last
Current address
Name of father
Name of mother
Name and address of employer
Age at last birthday
Date of birth
Place of birth (both listed Italy, no other detail)
Sex
Color
Date you became an employee
Have you filled out a card like this before
Date signed
Signature

Hope this helps you decide if its worth sending for.

Debbie
I think I will visit their hometown soon and start requesting copies of records. I will post what I find.

Thank you all for your help! It has really got me going, where I was totally stuck before.

jeri
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

Thought I would post this link of Cataldo's wife (Antonia Drago's) ship record... just in case... and just for future reference... but of course we will hear back from you.... :P

It looks like Antonia Drago made her first trip in 1915 as well...

She is traveling with neice Maria Chicoli age 10, and her son Alessandro...

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0589%2ETIF

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0589%2ETIF

Essgee's info about Cataldo (mentioned earlier on)
He arrived in 1911 on the San Giorgio, age 42. Must have returned and then arrived again in 1912 on the San Guglielmo. He went to Fayette, NY. His wife was Antonio Drago and she remained in Italy until 1921 when she arrived on the ship Caserta, at the age of 50.
mfjp
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by Essgee »

I stand corrected!!!!!!!!!

Glad you found it...........
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

Dear Essgee, wasn't out to correct anything, just quoted your piece as it is valuable information... as with all the other replies for this particular topic/family. I quoted that particular piece because it ties in with something I linked....

If Jeri does find out further info down the road, at least she has all the links at her fingertips.

It's really nice to research with a group... in such a group effort... I am still very much a newbie, but with every look up... I learn, we learn... and I still find everyone's case very interesting. I am so glad to see a forum develop into such a fun wonderful family... the way it should be.

mfjp :wink:
User avatar
kcbiw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 May 2010, 18:51

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by kcbiw »

Mario Arlotti

HELPER/SAN GABRIEL, Calif. - Mario U. Arlotti, 88, died June 13, 2002 at the San Gabriel Valley Medical Center.

He was born June 17, 1913 in Savuto, Italy, to Peter and Giovanna Zimbaro Arlotti. Mario married Minnie Romano Sept. 20, 1952 in Helper and they lived in San Gabriel, Calif., since then.

Mario came to the United States when he was 7. He served in the U.S. Army Air Corps for three and one-half years during World War II. Life member of Price Elks Lodge 1550, where he received his 60 year pin.

Two of his favorite pastimes were gardening and working in his wood shop, making beautiful pieces of furniture for his family and friends and articles for his church fiesta.

He is survived by his wife, Minnie; two sons, Frank, Tucson, Ariz.; Philip, Hesperia, Calif.; numerous nieces and nephews. Preceded in death by parents; a sister, Rose; brothers, John, Dominic and Joseph; and niece, Mary.

Graveside service Friday, June 21, 11 a.m., Mountain View Cemetery, Helper. Family will be at Mitchell Funeral Home Thursday evening, 7 to 9 p.m. and Friday one hour prior to services.
User avatar
Francios
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Mar 2011, 06:03

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by Francios »

I find it all very interesting the work Jen went through in finding out information on my family, especially my Little Nana (Maria Romano). All this could have been taken care of with one phone call or email. I have pictures of my great grandfather Carmine Romano and the original Wedding Certificate of my grandparents ( Joe & Maria Romano). Also I remember the story of my Little Nana telling me when she first came to Helper, Utah (yes, she was a mail order bride/arranged). She told me she did not know what he looked like when she got off the train, she just remembers alot of faces looking back at her. She also told me and I was not to tell my Dad, that she really was never happy in this Country. The Frank Romano they mention was my grandfathers brother who yes is buried next to him in the Helper Utah. One note not mentioned was that my father (Frank Romano) who is also buried in Helper Utah in the family plot was not originally named Frank but Carlo after his older brother who had died. The family never called my Dad, Carlo, but always Frank. This came to light when I was born and my mother Edna Borla Romano sent for my father's birth information. It was then that his name on this birth info was changed to Frank and not Carlo.
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

Frank - how would I call or e-mail you? I haven't seen you in 20 years! :D
mugsbee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 13 Sep 2015, 14:59

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mugsbee »

Try asking your mother????
TomAlciere
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 18:49

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by TomAlciere »

Search all possible records of your ancestor and his/her siblings, too.

If he had a niece who got married and the marriage record, church or civil, mentions her father's birthplace, giving the exact town, remember that all the siblings were probably born in the same town.

Could it be Castelcivita, where my ancestors lived?

---
My Potenza-the-city site: http://genealogy.bio
Post Reply