Name issue

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
AlcamoBound
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 13 Jan 2017, 21:48

Name issue

Post by AlcamoBound »

Hello!

I'm in the process of getting my Italian citizenship - I've run into a problem.

My great grandmothers name. She came over on the boat as Josephine, her marriage, death and naturalization records all have her named as Josephine.

I have now found out her name in Italy(Italian birth record) and death record are listed as Giuseppa...not Josephine.

I'm assuming this is an issue for the Italian govt? Does anyone have experience with this? I'm willing to challenge the records to have them corrected if necessary but I need advice here.

Thank you for your time.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Name issue

Post by mler »

Giuseppe = Joseph
Giuseppa = Josephine

These are literal name translations. Shouldn't be an issue.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Name issue

Post by suanj »

Giuseppa could be translated Josepha, and Giuseppina is Josephine obviously...
The firstname is the same, and Giuseppina is the diminutive of Giuseppa, so Giuseppina=Josephine= little Josepha...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply