Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Maybe.............. FOUND... maybe!
As I said previously, some data was no perfect, because the search was very hard, and no results...
but, searching and searching, I believe that I found.
I found:
Maria Carmela Ciampa , 28 old widow, last residence: Montemiletto (Avellino province) going in New Castle, Delaware, PA, USA, joining to Ciriaco Ciampa, her Brother. Travelling with her children:
Carmela COLELLA ( I believe daughter but on the ship's manifest it is wrote son..??) 10 old, last residence Montemiletto
Pasqualina ............( unreadable) 3 old, stepdaughter


Maria Carmela Ciampo

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Maria Carmela
Surname Ciampo
Last Place of Residence Monsensiletto
Event Date 31 Aug 1904
Age 28y
Nationality Italian
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York City, N.Y.
Gender Female
Marital Status W
Ship Name Prinz Oskar


https://libertyellisfoundation.org/show ... cGciOw==/1

I think I have found them, Maria was widow, her biological daughter was Carmela, Pasqualina was her stepdaughter, but no legally adopted, because pasqualina had another surname, maybe was a her niece, who knows?

However if my find is right, and I believe right, the birthplace is Montemiletto, and pasqualina was born around 1900 or 1901....
waiting your reply,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

here the trip of Florindo Ciampa (Floyd Champ in USA), son of Ciriaco Ciampa( Chester Champ in USA), travelling with mother and his little Brother:


Florido Ciampa

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Florido
Surname Ciampa
Last Place of Residence Montemilitto, Avellino, Italy
Event Date 11 Oct 1906
Age 3y
Nationality US Born, Italian South
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York
Gender Male
Marital Status S
Ship Name Napolitan Prince
-------------
Chester died Young and the wife married to Luigi Gentile in New Castle, Delaware, PA, USA
Florindo aka Floyd, DOB:

Floyd Champ

1903–1973

Birth 26 APR 1903 • Pennsylvania

Death 20 MAR 1973 • New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
-------------------------------------------------
So these are the relatives of Maria Carmela Ciampa, but no of Pasqualina... to know the her surname spelling and more abt her Birth, and the possible relationship with the Ciampa or Colella , just searching in the civil records of Montemiletto you can descover it... but nothing on line, so maybe just by microfilms.....
hoping helpful,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
searching
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 21:42

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by searching »

Here is our great-great grandfather, Antonio Galucci & Maria Ciampa's daughter's death certificate...again, more confirmation that 'Champ' was not her real maiden name, but something she adopted to sound more American https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/51 ... PUBJs=true
searching
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 28
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 21:42

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by searching »

Here is our great-great grandfather, Antonio Galucci & Maria Ciampa's daughter's death certificate...again, more confirmation that 'Champ' was not her real maiden name, but something she adopted to sound more American
User avatar
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 124
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 04:57
Location: Northern United States

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

Hi again. It's been a while, but I'm still here. Lol. I hope you're well.

This may be a stretch, but the update on my Ancestry.DNA test shows three areas in Italy. Campania, Molise, and Northern Italy. We've traced family to Campania but nobody to Molise specifically. You mentioned checking Abruzzo's records before. Would the records for Molise be the same as Abruzzo since they were the same region up until the 1960s?

Thanks so much. :)
For Europe, With Love.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 11:29 I found a Pasqualina Ciampa (seeming Ciampa) travelling with mother Maria and siblings:


Pasqualina Ciampa

Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists Index

Name Pasqualina Ciampa
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 1909
Event Place Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
Age 6
Birth Year (Estimated) 1903
Birth Country Italy
Ship Name Canopic

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2173946

https://s26.postimg.org/8v39s8ebd/pasqu ... ampa_1.jpg
coming from Montefalcione, Avellino province, Campania region... the age matching, and the name aslo, just the mother maiden name: Maria Concetta Iantosca and the father name was Francesco Ciampa... so these data don't matching with the data you know and provided...
Regards,
suanj
well in meantime more records available, so I can say that this arrival record of Pasqualina Ciampa is NO abt your Pasqualina. Her mother was Contetta Iantosca and her father was Francesco Ciampa and she was born in USA on 1903. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3A23FG-761
So the problem in your search is the Pasqualina surname at birth..
well I will find more
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by rlw254 »

suanj wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 17:58 Maybe.............. FOUND... maybe!
As I said previously, some data was no perfect, because the search was very hard, and no results...
but, searching and searching, I believe that I found.
I found:
Maria Carmela Ciampa , 28 old widow, last residence: Montemiletto (Avellino province) going in New Castle, Delaware, PA, USA, joining to Ciriaco Ciampa, her Brother. Travelling with her children:
Carmela COLELLA ( I believe daughter but on the ship's manifest it is wrote son..??) 10 old, last residence Montemiletto
Pasqualina ............( unreadable) 3 old, stepdaughter


Maria Carmela Ciampo

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Maria Carmela
Surname Ciampo
Last Place of Residence Monsensiletto
Event Date 31 Aug 1904
Age 28y
Nationality Italian
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York City, N.Y.
Gender Female
Marital Status W
Ship Name Prinz Oskar


https://libertyellisfoundation.org/show ... cGciOw==/1

I think I have found them, Maria was widow, her biological daughter was Carmela, Pasqualina was her stepdaughter, but no legally adopted, because pasqualina had another surname, maybe was a her niece, who knows?

However if my find is right, and I believe right, the birthplace is Montemiletto, and pasqualina was born around 1900 or 1901....
waiting your reply,
suanj
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html

I do not see Pasqualina "Olenna" in Montemiletto born at the correct time with this mother.

Parents' marriage: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

something don't match.. "Maria Ciampa" sometimes seems born on 1868 and sometimes on 1875.. the arrival: sometimes on 1904, on 1902, on 1905

So needs to understand the truth, because found the mother found the daughter!

Here the censuse:
1900
Geo Galutch
United States Census, 1900


Name:
Geo Galutch
Event Type:
Census
Event Date:
1900
•
Event Year:
1900
Event Place:
Precinct 1 Newcastle city Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
•
Event Place (Original):
ED 107 Precinct 1 Newcastle city Ward 5, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
Sex:
Male
Age:
40
Marital Status:
Married
Race:
White
Race (Original):
W
Years Married:
8
Birth Date:
Apr 1860
Birthplace:
Italy
Marriage Year (Estimated):
1892
Immigration Year:
1887
Father's Birthplace:
Italy
Mother's Birthplace:
Italy
Relationship to Head of Household:
Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):
Head
Sheet Letter:
A
Sheet Number:
36
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Geo Galutch Head Male 40 Italy
Mary Galutch Wife Female 25 Italy ARRIVAL 1892
Ralph Galutch Son Male 8 Pennsylvania
Kate Galutch Daughter Female 6 Pennsylvania
James Galutch Son Male 5 Pennsylvania
Mary Galutch Daughter Female 5 Pennsylvania
Cossimir Galutch Son Male 3 Pennsylvania
Frank Bleas Boarder Male 44 Italy
Tony Pasqualla Boarder Male Italy
Nick Bells Boarder Male Italy
Cassina Parotta Boarder Male Italy
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AM332-XCM

NO DOUBTS THAT IS RIGHT GALLUCCI FAMILY.
The wife: first wife or second wife, but married after on 1904?


1910

Tony Gallucci
United States Census, 1910


Name:
Tony Gallucci
Event Type:
Census
Event Date:
1910
•
Event Place:
New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
•
Event Place (Original):
New Castle Ward 8, 139, Lawrence, Pennsylvania
Sex:
Male
Age:
45
Marital Status:
Married
Race:
White
Race (Original):
White
Birth Year (Estimated):
1865
Birthplace:
Italy
•
Immigration Year:
1886
Father's Birthplace:
Italy
Mother's Birthplace:
Italy
Relationship to Head of Household:
Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):
Head
Sheet Letter:
A
Sheet Number:
10
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Tony Gallucci Head Male 45 Italy
Mary Gallucci Wife Female 35 Italy ARRIVAL 1905
Ralph Gallucci Son Male 18 Pennsylvania
Catherine Gallucci Daughter Female 16 Pennsylvania
Mary Gallucci Daughter Female 14 Pennsylvania
James Gallucci Son Male 14 Pennsylvania
Casmere Gallucci Son Male 12 Pennsylvania
Anna Gallucci Daughter Female 10 Pennsylvania
Lona Gallucci Daughter Female 8 Pennsylvania
Charles Gallucci Son Male 8 Pennsylvania
Margaret Gallucci Daughter Female 4 Pennsylvania
Rosie Gallucci Daughter Female 2 Pennsylvania
Andy Martone Boarder Male 25 Italy
Guy Martone Boarder Male 23 Italy
Andy Phillips Boarder Male 25 Italy
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AMG8F-K8X

Again the question: THIS WIFE IS SURE THE SECOND, BUT WHERE IS PASQUALINA? AND HER GIVEN NAME war really Pasqualina?


1920

Antonio Gallucci
United States Census, 1920

Name:
Antonio Gallucci
•
Event Type:
Census
Event Date:
1920
•
Event Place:
Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
•
Event Place (Original):
ED 108, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
Sex:
Male
Age:
51
Marital Status:
Married
Race:
White
Race (Original):
White
Birth Year (Estimated):
1869
Birthplace:
Italy
•
Immigration Year:
1888
Father's Birthplace:
Italy
Mother's Birthplace:
Italy
Relationship to Head of Household:
Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):
Head
Sheet Letter:
B
Sheet Number:
3
Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Antonio Gallucci Head Male 51 Italy
Maria Gallucci Wife Female 52 Italy ARRIVAL 1904
Rosa Gallucci Daughter Female 12 Pennsylvania
Maria D Gallucci Daughter Female 14 Pennsylvania
Tony Gallucci Son Male 8 Pennsylvania
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AM6Y4-JLY

AS YOU CAN READ MANY DISCREPANCIES abt age and immigration year

BUT itis right to say that on 1900 Mary was the first wife, and on 1910 Mary also was the second wife...
PROBLEM: why PASQUALINA is not on 1910 census?

so the solution can arrives just finding the right names, of mother and daughter... and then we can search the arrival, and so the birth records...
suanj
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

rlw254 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 08:59
suanj wrote: 26 Sep 2017, 17:58 Maybe.............. FOUND... maybe!
As I said previously, some data was no perfect, because the search was very hard, and no results...
but, searching and searching, I believe that I found.
I found:
Maria Carmela Ciampa , 28 old widow, last residence: Montemiletto (Avellino province) going in New Castle, Delaware, PA, USA, joining to Ciriaco Ciampa, her Brother. Travelling with her children:
Carmela COLELLA ( I believe daughter but on the ship's manifest it is wrote son..??) 10 old, last residence Montemiletto
Pasqualina ............( unreadable) 3 old, stepdaughter


Maria Carmela Ciampo

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Maria Carmela
Surname Ciampo
Last Place of Residence Monsensiletto
Event Date 31 Aug 1904
Age 28y
Nationality Italian
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York City, N.Y.
Gender Female
Marital Status W
Ship Name Prinz Oskar


https://libertyellisfoundation.org/show ... cGciOw==/1

I think I have found them, Maria was widow, her biological daughter was Carmela, Pasqualina was her stepdaughter, but no legally adopted, because pasqualina had another surname, maybe was a her niece, who knows?

However if my find is right, and I believe right, the birthplace is Montemiletto, and pasqualina was born around 1900 or 1901....
waiting your reply,
suanj
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 2.jpg.html

I do not see Pasqualina "Olenna" in Montemiletto born at the correct time with this mother.

Parents' marriage: http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 3.jpg.html
This cannot be the right persons.. because the first thing is to determine the Maria maiden name.. I found in death record of Antonio Gallucci that the first name of first wife was Maria Domenica.. no maiden name so it is a mystery... because to say by family memory, is no helpful without the documents.. so better to restart and the only documents from start is the census and I hope that the poster can put here the marriage of Antonio Gallucci and "Maria Ciampa..."
here the death record of antonio Gallucci second wife, IE Maria Ciampa, but no maiden name, no parent's names, no birthplace just the birthdate, if true:
https://i.postimg.cc/wvk9vFMV/42342-242 ... -02488.jpg
Image

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

Here the death of Antonio Gallucci and the wife : Maria Ciampa
Image
https://i.postimg.cc/R091fVGT/42342-242 ... -00086.jpg
So this is a document and show her name Maria Ciampa.. but no sure se was the her maiden name or married name with first husband, if she had a first husband...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by rlw254 »

I think in the 1910 census "Lona" Gallucci should be Lena = Pasqualina born ca. 1902. I think you had the correct people with the arrival manifest showing Carmela & Pasqualina but I cannot explain the different surname. Collella is given in the obituary: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVTK-7TM9
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

rlw254 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 09:35 I think in the 1910 census "Lona" Gallucci should be Lena = Pasqualina born ca. 1902
Great suggestion!
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by rlw254 »

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
This Maria Carmela Ciampa of Saverio Ciampa & Giovanna Rescigno's birth date is 26 Sept 1865, not 25 Mar :|
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by suanj »

rlw254 wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 09:47 http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html
This daughter of Saverio Ciampa & Giovanna Rescigno's birth date is 21 Jan 1867, not 25 Mar :|
the poster said that the parent's names was Severino Ciampa ( but unsure if Ciampa, because in some document was CHAMP) and Giovannina Scimia...
I suggested something like Saverio Ciampa and Giovanna Rescigno, but without right maiden name... it is hard... In some genealogic tree her birthplace is Alife and her surname Gamba.. so a big confusion.. need to find the right surname spelling, to back immigration record, to find her birth record and the birth record of her italian daughter...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Help Finding A Birth Record Please

Post by rlw254 »

I agree that we need concrete evidence but the story fits with the mother being Maria Carmela Ciampa above (I edited my post). I think this is correct. The dates are not very nice but the information is all there. I think the confusion with the 1900 census is the first Gallucci wife also had the name Maria and perhaps died 1900-1904 before Maria Carmela Ciampa's marriage.

One of the first things that was given to us was that the first husband died in 1900. Here is that death record for Antonio Colella:
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 4.jpg.html (onto next page)
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html

Timeline?
1865 - birth of Maria Carmela Ciampa to Saverio Ciampa & Giovanna Rescigno (did not yet check if this one died as an infant)
1889 - marriage of Antonio Colella & Maria Carmela Ciampa
1894 - birth of Carmela Colella to Antonio Colella & Maria Carmela Ciampa found in ship manifest with Pasqualina
1900 - death of Maria Carmela Ciampa's husband Antonio Colella [in Avellino - was Pasqualina born in Avellino?]
1902/1903 - birth of Pasqualina (surname?)
1900-1904 (maybe) - death of Antonio Gallucci's first wife
1904 - marriage of Maria Carmela Ciampa & Antonio Gallucci

This is helped by the other Ciampa/Champ people you have found that are siblings of Maria Carmela going to the very same town in Pennsylvania.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
Post Reply