Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

This is the information on Joseph's death. It was listed in the Statewide Death Index.

Sorry if someone already posted it. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes.
:)
Trish

Name: Joseph Saccaro
Death Date: 22 May 1948
Estimated Birth Year: 1892
Age: 56 Years
Gender: Male
Race: White or Mexican

Parish: E. Baton Rouge
Certificate Number: 400
Volume: 6
Title: Louisiana Statewide Death Indices 1945-1949
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Wldspirit,

I hadn't seen that information about the adoption for those Saccaro children. Thanks for posting that info. Do you mind if I ask where you received it? I'm not sure the protocal on asking where information was found. I especially don't want to step on anyones toes as I am still very new to this forum.

Trish,
QUOTE: 'Per the 1920 census for Joseph, it states he came in 1895 and was already Naturalized by 1917.'

Maybe I just overlooked Joseph but I did not see him on the 1920 census. Did you mean the 1930 census?

On his draft registration card it says he was still considered an alien. It was dated June 5/17. From what I've read, if you are still considered an alien at that time it meant that your citzenship could take up to 5 years. Do any of you know anything about the citzenship process during that time?

Julie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by wldspirit »

New Orleans Public Library.......here is the link... :D

http://nutrias.org/inv/orphans%201883.htm

It is interesting to say the least...........and I would file it for future reference, you may make a connection to this family down the road
or it could be a different Saccaro family.......I haven't checked the census to see how many Saccaro's there are........
Lisa
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by brujaojos »

JSaccaro wrote:Trish,
QUOTE: 'Per the 1920 census for Joseph, it states he came in 1895 and was already Naturalized by 1917.'

Maybe I just overlooked Joseph but I did not see him on the 1920 census. Did you mean the 1930 census?

On his draft registration card it says he was still considered an alien. It was dated June 5/17. From what I've read, if you are still considered an alien at that time it meant that your citzenship could take up to 5 years. Do any of you know anything about the citzenship process during that time?

Julie
Hi Julie,

This is the 1920 Census for Joseph. Hopefully someone will post it for you. Remember, Joseph was already married with his son Salvador. Also, if you applied for the WWI Draft Registry, you became a citizen faster. This is why many immigrants applied during that time.

Per the 1920 census for Joseph, it states he came in 1895 and was already Naturalized by 1917.

Name: Joseph Laicars
[Joseph Saicaro]
Age: 28 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1895
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 4
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana; Roll: T625_622; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 141; Image: 4.

I also, posted his death information just in case you didn't have his death certificate.

I also found this Francesca coming into the Louisiana Port. Her age is off by a couple of years but it could still be the same Francesca that came in with Caterina and Angelo.

Coming into the Louisiana Port
Name - Date of Arrival - age, sex, status- town - ship's name
Francesca Saccaro - 5 Oct 1906 - 22/f/m - Vicari - lazio

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by nuccia »

Hi Trish,

Is this the image you wanted posted?

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2142/imagex1bw.gif

Hugs

Nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Trish & Nuccia,

Believe images for 1910, 1920, & 1930 plus WWI draft registratons are posted on page 1. Just so everyone knows!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by brujaojos »

nuccia wrote:Hi Trish,

Is this the image you wanted posted?
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2142/imagex1bw.gif

Hugs
Nuccia :D
Hi Nuccia,

Thank you so much for posting the census for me!!!!:)


To JCSM400 - The census I wanted posted was the 1920 census of Joseph not of Salvador and Caterina. This census provides when Joseph was naturalized.

hugs
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by nuccia »

Hi Trish,

No problem...anything, anytime, for you! :D :D :D :D :D

Joyce..maybe, if you can, since you have done so much to help with this research, could you give a quick re cap of all the info provided so far? I remember from the thread of my family how long it got and how difficult it was to remember what had already been posted until Maria recapped it all and saved everyone a lot of time so we didn't have to go back to the beginning and read it all. :oops:

Thanks
Nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Nuccia,

I'm not the only one who contributed to this search (you, suanj, wldspirit & Trish, too!). Definitely a joint effort.....Great team work everyone :!:

As for a recap:

First, let me say that Julie has requested USA records for births, deaths, marriage of Joseph, Joseph's naturalization papers, & a check of "Passenger Index" for Salvatore & Joseph from LA State Archive per infromation given in the posts. I hope she gets back to us with all her "new" information & that one of the records provides her with Salvatore's & Catherine's comune in Italy. :) :) :)

Linked images: 1910, 1920, 1930, WWI Draft Cards, manifest for Catherine, Angelo, Francesca (arrived 5/29/1897).

Additional info provided: Joseph's marriage, New Orleans Briths & Deaths, social security & IGI.

The SACCARO family:

Giuseppe Saccaro B. 1817 M.10/6/1845 Palermo D. 12/15/1875 Palermo
+ Lorenza Messana B. 12/18/1821 Palermo (with IGI)
+++Salvatore Saccaro B. abt. 1851 Italy M. abt. 1871 Italy D. 9/10/1933
+ Catherine Provenzana B. abt 1860 D. Mar 1939 LA
1. Joseph Saccaro B. 4/13/1892 Italy M. 4/9/1914 LA D.
5/22/1948 LA
+ Ella Blass B. 1898 LA
++ Salvador Saccaro B. abt 1918 LA D. TEXAS
SON
Julie (poster)
2. Angelo Saccaro B. 12/3/1895 Italy M.zbt 1918 D. 4/7/1924
3. Anthony B. abt 1902
4. Mary B. abt 1910 (Daughter or granddaughter)
5. Francesca? b. 1882 (arrived with Catherine) D. Young
NOTE: Catherine was mother of 5, 3 living.

Migration year (from censuses) for Catherine & Salvatore abt. 1898.

Hope this is ok & I didn't miss anything & got everything correct. If I did or anyone needs anything clarified, please let me know.

:D :D :D :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by wldspirit »

You have death dates for ancestors...........while waiting on records to arrive, I would rent microfilm from Lds and check for obituaries....these can be a treasure trove of information........I have usually located an obit within a day to five days of the date of death...not sure of local paper for New Orleans, and Trish has much more insight to the Lds microfilms........but here is a link, and New Orleans has extensive microfilm!!

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

wldspirit :wink:
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi all,

Just received some death records and one marriage certificate that I wanted to share with all of you. I have the death certificates of Salvador, Catherine and Joseph. I also have the marriage license for Ella and Joseph but I am having a hard time reading it. I am glad to see Salvador's parents and Catherines father on their death certificates. That will help with the research. I also called NARA in Ft. Worth this afternoon to see if they found any information on Joseph or Ella. The lady on the phone was extremely helpful. She found a re-patriotization (sp?) oath for Ella. She told me that when an American married an alien they lost their citizenship. Thought that was interesting. For Joseph, the only information she could find on him was a Declaration of Intention dated March 15, 1918. She wasn't exactly sure what this was but assumed it was a Declaration of Intention to be an American citizen. She told me that if he had continued with the citizenship process they would have the records on file but she couldn't find any citizenship records on him. She thought he was still considered an alien when he died. I told her about the 1920 census stating he was already a citizen and she said it wasn't uncommon for a census to be wrong.
Wldspirit, I appreciate the links to the microfilm. I just recieved word today that I will be back in the States (Louisiana) sometime late summer. I will save these links and look into them when I finally get back home.

Here are the links to what I received. It's my first time uploading so I hope you can access those files.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/407/ ... ge24rt.png

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4393 ... ge39ka.png

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7981 ... ge43jt.png

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/7971 ... ge50ue.png

Any thoughts on how to get an Italian birth certificate without knowing the exact town they were born?

I appreciate the help... Again! :)

Julie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by wldspirit »

This is great........ :D
Is the woman going to send you copies of what she has found?
As far as Italy....we still need to determine the town....but don't despair........you are on the right track!!!!!!!!!

wldspirit

*the writing on the record of marriage is best left to Suanj.....I need glasses...... :wink:
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Wldspirit,

She said she would mail those copies today. Hopefully I will get them sometime next week. I will post those documents as soon as I get them.

Julie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Julie,

Another place to look for town of birth would be Social Security application.
I found my grandfather's on his. His death certificate only listed the
country.


Salvador Saccaro
SSN: 435-14-9122
Last Residence: 76703 Waco, Mclennan, Texas, United States of America
Born: 28 Jan 1918
Died: Apr 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Louisiana (Before 1951 )


The price is now $27.00, but will be worth it if you get the comune! Here is a link for the letter you send.

http://ssdi.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.c ... amesiffix=

Also, suggest sending request to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile in Palermo to check their birth records.

Comune of Palermo
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Giulio Cesare #52
90100 PALERMO (PA)

Write in Italian and send self addressed return evelope, copy of your photo ID, and an international reply coupon (get @ local post office).

Or they may have an email address.

It can't hurt to try!
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

PS.

You may want to send a request to this town, too

"However my idea is that your ancestors came from Corleone town... regards, suanj"
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Post Reply