Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Still looking for Salvador's manifest?

May want to get this film.

New Orleans Passenger Lists Index 1853-1899
NARA#T527-26 Roma, Horatis--Schapani, Stefano FHL#0543428
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by suanj »

Hi, perhaps will be helpful for to find the right birthplace of Salvatore Saccaro ( I think that he born in some common of Palermo province, perhaps Corleone town): in Palermo Archive are the draft card from 1841 to 1911.
U f f i c i o d i l e v a d i P a l e r m o , regg. 392 (classi 1841-1911).

you can send a request aspa @ archivi.beniculturali.it (NO SPACES) or by normal letter:

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI PALERMO

Corso Vittorio Emanuele 31
90133 Palermo (PA)
Italy

and you write the probable birthyear and the parent's names..
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Julie'

I been trying to think of places to look for comune information & if all else fails, you might want to see if either Joseph or Angelo did service in WWI & get the military records.

Long shot..........but sometimes they do pay off!

:)
jcsm
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

This is just some information I would like to throw at you that could have some clues as to where in Sicily your family is from.

This is a list of people from Ellis Island who were from Sicily with the SACCARO surname. I eliminated those from different regions as well as not list the duplicated towns listed below.

Saccaro,Angela Vicari, Sicily 1913 5 1908
Saccaro,Antonino Calatafimi 1904 25 1879
Saccaro,Antonio Canicatti 1906 6 1900
Saccaro,Calogero Castrogiovanni, Sicily 1913 26 1887
Saccaro,Diego Vicari, Palermo 1912 31 1881
Saccaro,Domenico Castelvetrano 1905 28 1877
Saccaro,Dominicoi Paceco, Sicily 1910 33 1877
Saccaro,Giuseppe Palermo, Sicily 1911 23 1888
Saccaro,Leonardo Corleone 1898 35 1863

I hope this helps some with giving you clues.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by suanj »

my idea is that this people coming from Corleone: in facts Saccaro, Provenzano and Firmaturo are present especially in Corleone... just a idea, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Suanj,

Thanks for that address. I will send them an email and let you know what I find out.

Trish,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question regarding the names you posted. What do the dates after their names mean? I know I should probably know that but...The Giuseppe Saccaro that you posted popped out at me and I'm wondering if their is any significance to Joseph Saccaro that is my great grandfather. I think the only problem is that they were from Ellis Island and I would assume he would have come to the New Orleans port. But, maybe I am wrong in assuming that since I haven't found any hard proof that Salvatore or Joseph came to New Orleans. We only know Catherine did.
I also just found out the letter I sent Louisiana State Archives requesting the passenger ship for Salvatore and Joseph Saccaro could not be found. I'm not sure where to look now. Thanks for posting that info.

Jcsm400,
To be honest, I never thought about trying to obtain military records. I do have Josephs draft card but it didn't provide much info. I will look into that and let you know what I find. Thanks for the suggestion. I did request Salvadors death certificate from Texas. I will send off for the Social security Application on Monday.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. :D

Julie
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Jcsm400,

Regarding the Social Security application, do you know if I need to send a copy of my photo I.D. or any other proof that I'm related?

Julie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Julie,

Nothing was mentioned about sending ID & I know I didn't, but mine was before 9/11.

Here is their web page.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa ... _topview=1

You may want to send it, just to play it safe!

Keep us posted and have a great weekend.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

brujaojos wrote:Hi There,

This is just some information I would like to throw at you that could have some clues as to where in Sicily your family is from.

This is a list of people from Ellis Island who were from Sicily with the SACCARO surname. I eliminated those from different regions as well as not list the duplicated towns listed below.

Saccaro,Angela Vicari, Sicily 1913 5 1908
Saccaro,Antonino Calatafimi 1904 25 1879
Saccaro,Antonio Canicatti 1906 6 1900
Saccaro,Calogero Castrogiovanni, Sicily 1913 26 1887
Saccaro,Diego Vicari, Palermo 1912 31 1881
Saccaro,Domenico Castelvetrano 1905 28 1877
Saccaro,Dominicoi Paceco, Sicily 1910 33 1877
Saccaro,Giuseppe Palermo, Sicily 1911 23 1888
Saccaro,Leonardo Corleone 1898 35 1863

I hope this helps some with giving you clues.
Trish

Julie,

year of arrival-age @ arrival-year of birth

:)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

dup
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

I know we've been discussing the Saccaro's for a few pages now but I found something interesting on Provenzano. I'm sure it's old news to some of you but I just found this today.

I wonder how many unrelated Provenzano families there are in Sicily. I hope I'm not related to this one.

http://www.virtualitalia.com/forums/vie ... sc&start=0

Is the surname Provenzano very common in Italy?

Julie
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by jcsm400 »

Julie,

Link to distribution map for Provenzano in Italy.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by wldspirit »

Well............there were Provenzano's in New Orleans that were involved in the family buisness, I came across them when searching for your family, a set of brothers.....and they returned to Italy after things went badly for them in New Orleans........but wether or not they are related to your family.....only time and research would tell......
Lisa
User avatar
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by JSaccaro »

Jcsm400,
Thanks for the link. That was interesting to see where the Saccaro's and Provenzano's were located.

Lisa,
I will definitely have to look into the Provenzano's from N.O. Very interesting...

I have yet another question. According to NARA in Ft. Worth. She said Joseph was never naturalized or at least she had no record of it. Would I be able to obtain an Alien Registration Form AR-2? I found a link on this forum and by the looks of it, it gives a lot of the information that I'm looking for. Joseph died in 1948, so I'm assuming he would have needed to fill one of these out.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/h ... s/AREG.htm

Julie
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname

Post by nuccia »

Hi JSaccaro,

Yes, he would have had to fill one of these out. I received my great grandfathers in the mail not to long ago and they contain quite a bit of information. I was lucky enough to receive both the part of the application that is given to the alien and the passbook. It contains their picture, where they lived, their fingerprint, their signature (or x if they couldn't write) and the name of a witness who was present. There is other info, birthdate, place, weight, height.

Hope this helps.
Nuccia :D
Post Reply