Census question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 238
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00

Census question

Post by lynnef »

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1463113

Above is the Onondaga County, NY census for 1905 for my great grandfather James Alia (lines 37 to 40), his wife Mary and their two children Rosia and what looks to be a son with the first name of Fioreavanto. Has anyone heard of this first name before? It's throwing me for a loop as no one in the family has ever heard of this child. Thanks.
Lynne
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Census question

Post by Tessa78 »

Fioravante and Fioravanti are male first names.

T.
User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 238
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00

Re: Census question

Post by lynnef »

Thanks, Tessa. In my genealogy research thus far, I have yet to come up with any other family member with this name. Interesting to say the least. Is it a name specifically to a certain region (as my roots are in Caulonia)?
Lynne
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Census question

Post by Tessa78 »

I could not say :-(

T.
User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 238
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00

Re: Census question

Post by lynnef »

Thanks again, Tessa.
Lynne
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Census question

Post by Tessa78 »

I see in the 1910 US Census that there is no listing of a son.

Wife, Marie, indicates that she has had 5 children but only 3 survive.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/78 ... PUBJs=true

T.
User avatar
lynnef
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 238
Joined: 30 Jul 2007, 00:00

Re: Census question

Post by lynnef »

Tessa78 wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 19:51 I see in the 1910 US Census that there is no listing of a son.

Wife, Marie, indicates that she has had 5 children but only 3 survive.

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/78 ... PUBJs=true

T.
Yes, I saw that also. He must've died very young. I have a copy of that census from when I had an Ancestry.com membership. I don't have a current membership (was at a dead end at the time and decided to cancel it). I'm unsure if there's any obit info on him in the Syracuse newspapers from back then. One of these days when I go home to Syracuse for a visit, I might just have to visit the local library and check the newspapers from that time frame.
Lynne
Post Reply