Italian Citizenship and divorce

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
AlliG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Feb 2017, 18:52

Italian Citizenship and divorce

Post by AlliG »

Hi! Hoping someone can help me on this.

I have my citizenship appointment in December and have all of my documents, apostilles, and translations BUT

I discovered that my deceased grandmother (not direct Italian line) was at some point married and divorced in Germany prior to marrying my deceased Grandfather (direct Italian line). This occurred in 1946, no one in the family ever knew about it, and I just discovered this on her US marriage certificate.

She married my grandfather in 1947 in New York, and had my mother in 1951.

Now, Germany destroys all divorce records after 30 years, so nothing exists in Germany.

Is this going to be an issue? If so, what can I do about it (I see something about a No Decree statement?)

Thanks!
User avatar
ItalianTranslator
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 44
Joined: 20 Feb 2019, 18:05
Contact:

Re: Italian Citizenship and divorce

Post by ItalianTranslator »

I don't think this is going to be an issue because she is not in your direct line. What is your consulate?

Paola
🇺🇸🇬🇧🇮🇹 ATA and CIOL translator, providing certified translations for applicants in the US and UK. Listed in Los Angeles and London consulates.
AlliG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Feb 2017, 18:52

Re: Italian Citizenship and divorce

Post by AlliG »

I was assuming that, but just wanted to get some feedback

Consulate is New York
Post Reply