Translation of Marriage Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
LPorter
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Apr 2020, 13:58

Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by LPorter »

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone able to translate the marriage certificate of my great, great grandparents? Luigi and Carmela Amabile.

Link

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Marriage No 121: Luigi Amabile and Carmela Sorrentino

Cava de Tirreni: 11 September 1884

Appearing before the official were:

Luigi Amabile, Celibe (never before married), 22 yo, industriante (manufacturer/trader), born and residing in Passiano, son of Giovanni, and of the deceased Mariantonia Cefaro?/Cafaro*?

and

Carmela Sorrentino, 24 yo, nubile (never before married), tessatrice (weaver), born and residing Passiano, daughter of the deceased Innocenzio, and of Maddalena Benincasa, both residing therein.

The other two people mentioned there, Pasquale Fiorilla, 53 yo, Usciere (usher/doorkeeper), and Emiddio Consiglio, 23 yo, Usciere, are just the witnesses to the proceedings.

The handwritten section is just saying that the necessary documents were presented in order for the marriage to take place, and that the banns were posted on 10 and 17 August. The father of the groom, had given his consent for the marriage to take place.

*In the record I am reading Cefaro but in the town today it seems to be spelt Cafaro. I'm sure with further research you will be able to establish the correct spelling.

Angela
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by liviomoreno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 23:02 ....

*In the record I am reading Cefaro but in the town today it seems to be spelt Cafaro. I'm sure with further research you will be able to establish the correct spelling.

Angela
I read Cesaro. [Check the word "cerificati"]
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 07:32
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 23:02 ....

*In the record I am reading Cefaro but in the town today it seems to be spelt Cafaro. I'm sure with further research you will be able to establish the correct spelling.

Angela
I read Cesaro. [Check the word "cerificati"]

Yes, I believe you are correct, Livio. Thank you. Cesaro is definitely a name that appears in the town. I can see that in the words industriante and tessatrice, the "s" is formed the same way.

Angela
LPorter
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 21 Apr 2020, 13:58

Re: Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by LPorter »

Thank you!!!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Translation of Marriage Certificate

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

LPorter wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 23:40Thank you!!!
Well I'm glad your posts were finally approved by a moderator!!! Sorry it took a while.

I don't think I did too badly considering I was really unwell with a back injury when I initially translated this record for you. I should've checked it again yesterday before I posted it here.

Stay safe.

Angela :)
Post Reply