Abbreviation of Dr.
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Abbreviation of Dr.
Does anyone know what the "Dr." would be in the below document? It appears to be an abbreviation of some type of title.
The phrase is "figlio del fu Dr. D. Onofrio"
Thanks in advance.
Jim
The file can be found at
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html
The phrase is "figlio del fu Dr. D. Onofrio"
Thanks in advance.
Jim
The file can be found at
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
how about dottore?
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
I had originally thought that, but everything I've seen is that dottore is abreviated as dott.
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
Dottore may be abbreviated both way: Dr and Dott.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
For what it's worth, Google translate has "Dr." as an abbreviation for medical doctor in the Italian language.
As you probably know, "dottore" can also be used as an honorific for non-medical persons. For example, Caterella addresses his boss, the commissario, as "Dottore" out of respect.
But, I think "Don" was the more common honorific for non-medical persons, at least in Sicily.
As you probably know, "dottore" can also be used as an honorific for non-medical persons. For example, Caterella addresses his boss, the commissario, as "Dottore" out of respect.
But, I think "Don" was the more common honorific for non-medical persons, at least in Sicily.
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
Thankyou for the clarification. I had also read that dottore could be used for those with a university degree, not just a medical doctor or PhD as in English. In this case, he was being addressed as Dottore Don Onofrio -- I'm guessing he had a formal education??
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
I would assume that Onofrio had a university degree (not necessarily a medical doctor)
-
bbivona
- Master

- Posts: 1154
- Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
- Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
Some other professions as well. I am a CPA in the US and the Italian equivalent is dottore commercialista. Sometimes in conversation my friends in Sicily call me dottore instead of my name. It's a little weird, but I've gotten used to it now. It's a term of respect for professionals.JSpero1162 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 16:39 Thankyou for the clarification. I had also read that dottore could be used for those with a university degree, not just a medical doctor or PhD as in English. In this case, he was being addressed as Dottore Don Onofrio -- I'm guessing he had a formal education??
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
That's very interesting as I'm also a CPA in US. I think it would be quite weird to be called dottore.bbivona wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 18:37 Some other professions as well. I am a CPA in the US and the Italian equivalent is dottore commercialista. Sometimes in conversation my friends in Sicily call me dottore instead of my name. It's a little weird, but I've gotten used to it now. It's a term of respect for professionals.
Re: Abbreviation of Dr.
In Italy dottore is not only a term of respect, it's the exact title given at the end of university: 'dottore in architettura', 'dottore in ingegneria' ; then after a new final examination ('esame di Stato') it's given the title of architetto or ingegnere, authorizing all professional activity. In usual speech both are called ingegnere or architetto, but for instance a project of a building will be made by an ingegnere or architetto, while a 'dottore' may have a technical duty in an industry.
In a TV movie you'll see a 'commissario di polizia' called dottore as having a law degree, but he's not an 'avvocato' (lawyer).
Then yes, someone uses dottore also as a general term of respect or with people of which it's not known the exact title.
In a TV movie you'll see a 'commissario di polizia' called dottore as having a law degree, but he's not an 'avvocato' (lawyer).
Then yes, someone uses dottore also as a general term of respect or with people of which it's not known the exact title.