Abbreviation of Dr.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by JSpero1162 »

Does anyone know what the "Dr." would be in the below document? It appears to be an abbreviation of some type of title.

The phrase is "figlio del fu Dr. D. Onofrio"

Thanks in advance.

Jim
Parents Consent - 1832 - Pg1 - underline.jpg
The file can be found at
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 5.jpg.html
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by darkerhorse »

how about dottore?
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by JSpero1162 »

I had originally thought that, but everything I've seen is that dottore is abreviated as dott.
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by liviomoreno »

Dottore may be abbreviated both way: Dr and Dott.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thank you
darkerhorse
Master
Master
Posts: 4006
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by darkerhorse »

For what it's worth, Google translate has "Dr." as an abbreviation for medical doctor in the Italian language.

As you probably know, "dottore" can also be used as an honorific for non-medical persons. For example, Caterella addresses his boss, the commissario, as "Dottore" out of respect.

But, I think "Don" was the more common honorific for non-medical persons, at least in Sicily.
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by JSpero1162 »

Thankyou for the clarification. I had also read that dottore could be used for those with a university degree, not just a medical doctor or PhD as in English. In this case, he was being addressed as Dottore Don Onofrio -- I'm guessing he had a formal education??
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by liviomoreno »

I would assume that Onofrio had a university degree (not necessarily a medical doctor)
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by bbivona »

JSpero1162 wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 16:39 Thankyou for the clarification. I had also read that dottore could be used for those with a university degree, not just a medical doctor or PhD as in English. In this case, he was being addressed as Dottore Don Onofrio -- I'm guessing he had a formal education??
Some other professions as well. I am a CPA in the US and the Italian equivalent is dottore commercialista. Sometimes in conversation my friends in Sicily call me dottore instead of my name. It's a little weird, but I've gotten used to it now. It's a term of respect for professionals.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
JSpero1162
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by JSpero1162 »

bbivona wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 18:37 Some other professions as well. I am a CPA in the US and the Italian equivalent is dottore commercialista. Sometimes in conversation my friends in Sicily call me dottore instead of my name. It's a little weird, but I've gotten used to it now. It's a term of respect for professionals.
That's very interesting as I'm also a CPA in US. I think it would be quite weird to be called dottore.
cedrone
Master
Master
Posts: 627
Joined: 23 Feb 2020, 22:01

Re: Abbreviation of Dr.

Post by cedrone »

In Italy dottore is not only a term of respect, it's the exact title given at the end of university: 'dottore in architettura', 'dottore in ingegneria' ; then after a new final examination ('esame di Stato') it's given the title of architetto or ingegnere, authorizing all professional activity. In usual speech both are called ingegnere or architetto, but for instance a project of a building will be made by an ingegnere or architetto, while a 'dottore' may have a technical duty in an industry.
In a TV movie you'll see a 'commissario di polizia' called dottore as having a law degree, but he's not an 'avvocato' (lawyer).
Then yes, someone uses dottore also as a general term of respect or with people of which it's not known the exact title.
Post Reply