I'm trying to translate the profession for my 4x great grandfather, Giachino Spera listed on the birth record for one of his sons. It appears to say "soldato della compagnia di arma di cofanetti", which I translate as "soldier of the company of weapons boxes" or possibly weapons caskets? This is the only record I can find which mentions him as a soldier.
I truly appreciate any help offered.
Thank you.
The applicable section is on the right hand page, left column, 1/3 down the page.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html
I apologize in advance if the link doesn't work as this is my first time posting.
Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Hi,
I think, instead, it could be written "soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto".
Hope it can help you.
I think, instead, it could be written "soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto".
Hope it can help you.
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Hi,
this is what I can read:
"soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto"
Hope this can help you.
this is what I can read:
"soldato della compagnia d'arma di Caporetto"
Hope this can help you.
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Thank you. I am assuming that Caporetto would be a town or area name. I found a town with that name in northern Italy/Slovenia. Is there another translation for Caporetto? Thank you again.
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Hi,
the name Caporetto can be found written as Kobarid in Slovenian, and Karfreit in German.
The place is famous for the "Battle of Caporetto", also known as the "Defeat of Caporetto" (or even "Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo"); it was a battle on the Italian front and is known as the greatest defeat ever suffered by the Italian army, in 1917 during WWI.
Caporetto was part of the Kingdom of Italy until 1947.
I'll put you a couple of links of the wikipedia pages, which are also in English, if you are interested in history (in Italian language you can find much more information, but just to get an idea; and there should also be videos on yt):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobarid
the name Caporetto can be found written as Kobarid in Slovenian, and Karfreit in German.
The place is famous for the "Battle of Caporetto", also known as the "Defeat of Caporetto" (or even "Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo"); it was a battle on the Italian front and is known as the greatest defeat ever suffered by the Italian army, in 1917 during WWI.
Caporetto was part of the Kingdom of Italy until 1947.
I'll put you a couple of links of the wikipedia pages, which are also in English, if you are interested in history (in Italian language you can find much more information, but just to get an idea; and there should also be videos on yt):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Caporetto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobarid
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Thanks. I love reading history and will definitely look at that. I will have to do more research to see if Caporetto might apply to my 4x ggf, as he was in the army in 1835 and died in 1849, possibly as part of the Sicilian rebellion.
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
I think Caporetto is an evocative suggestion, but I'm doubtful about it, as Caporetto was not part of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies, nor had anything to do with it (as far as I know).
You ought to find some other record about this man, hoping his Company is mentioned, and more readable.
You ought to find some other record about this man, hoping his Company is mentioned, and more readable.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
yep, in fact, then I noticed it too, and from the dates provided it would no longer correspond... But I can't find a similar name for a Sicilian city... More information would be needed.
-
JSpero1162
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 26 Oct 2020, 15:39
Re: Translation of Profession for 4X ggf
Thank you. I have found quite a few records for Giachino Spera, including his vital records and those of his children. He was married twice and I have the marriage allegati for both marriages. He had two children reach adulthood from his first marriage and I have the marriage allegati for them as well. I am currently working on the children from his second marriage. From all the birth, marriage and death records, I have only found two references with the military -- the birth record for his son in 1835, mentioned above, and and the record for his second marriage. The second marriage record mentions Giachino's occupation as Possidente/Landowner and has two witnesses with military occupations.
Are there other records I should be looking for?
I'm not sure where to even start looking for military records for the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
Any help or guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you
Are there other records I should be looking for?
I'm not sure where to even start looking for military records for the Kingdom of Two Sicilies.
Any help or guidance would be most appreciated. Thank you
